Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Off-Duty Save - Yonkers

17 posts in this topic

Outstanding job FF Rodriguez! Talk about being at the right place at the right time. Also, hats off to the responding YFD members who assisted, as well as EMS. Nice work all around.

Just a question, as it was hard to understand in the article. Is Yonkers looking to stop sending YFD on medical calls or are they looking to stop training members as CFRs/EMTs?

Either way would be a bad move in my opinion.

Edited by BFD1054

Just a question, as it was hard to understand in the article. Is Yonkers looking to stop sending YFD on medical calls or are they looking to stop training members as CFRs/EMTs? Either way would be a bad move in my opinion.

Yonkers City Admin. has proposed cutting 2 engine companies and a battalion chief to save money. Part of the cut would be the ellimination of all FD response to EMS calls. There is rumor that the city has a proposal to replace the 11 engines (each with 4 EMT''s) with 4 one person flycars (Not clear if BLS or ALS) for $1,000,000/yr.

Well done YFD and FF Rodrigues.

I think the city's new position id: "How dare you save a life, when we are trying to strip services to the people"

BFD1054, JM15, tglass59 and 1 other like this

Yonkers City Admin. has proposed cutting 2 engine companies and a battalion chief to save money. Part of the cut would be the ellimination of all FD response to EMS calls. There is rumor that the city has a proposal to replace the 11 engines (each with 4 EMT''s) with 4 one person flycars (Not clear if BLS or ALS) for $1,000,000/yr.

I think the city's new position id: "How dare you save a life, when we are trying to strip services to the people"

So 1 battalion for the whole city??? what the heck!!

x4093k likes this

With respect.. i'll spell his name right :P

Great work FF Richard Rodriguez. Even though it may effect the person, I like hearing stories like these, where a life is saved within minutes. If he hadnt been there who knows what could of happened.

Westfield12 likes this

Sounds like a little touch of union bustin privatisation goin on. A million bucks for a fly car to hopefully show up with 1 person tryin to do compressions and ventilations. Any first responder knows its impossible to do alone. The polititions could care less as long as there buddies in big business are making the money. Something smells fishy...

Nice to hear some positive news..good job!!

BFD1054 likes this

Barry, thank you for the response sir, knew i'd get some answers.

Now, i know little to nothing about Yonkers FD and its operations. However, cutting 2 Engine companies AND a Battalion Chief sounds assanine to me.

Im under the impression that YFD currently runs with 2 Battalion Chiefs per shift (please correct me if i am wrong). Now, to go to just 1 Batt Chief? YFD is obviously a very busy department and one that is well regarded. With the ammount of work they catch, making ANY cuts would be a big blow to not only the FD, but the residents of Yonkers.

I know that Yonkers is covered by Empress EMS, which is one of the best local commercial EMS agencies. But to cut FD response to EMS run's won't help anyone (besides the politicians). Im sure there are times when Empress is tied up, but YFD can be there within minutes to initiate care and possibly save lives. Aside from that, i am sure that Empress appreciates the extra hands.

Now, as far as the rumored fly-car program; doesnt sound like a smart move to me. How is that more cost effective when youre ADDING equipment (maintenance, fuel, replacement). Plus to go from having 4 sets of qualified hands to help, you'll just have one. How much work can one EMT (or Medic) do by themselves?

Any cuts in the YFD would be an injustice to the residents that they protect. Their training, experience and knowledge shouldn't have a price tag placed on them.

Find other ways to cut costs, but dont mess with Public Safety.

Hey, im just a young volunteer firefighter, but just my 2 cents.

With respect.. i'll spell his name right :P

Great work FF Richard Rodriguez. Even though it may effect the person, I like hearing stories like these, where a life is saved within minutes. If he hadnt been there who knows what could of happened.

x4093k....

Thanks for pointing that out. After i posted, i had a feeling that i mis-spelled his name, but of course got busy with other things.

I hate when i mis-spell anything, let alone a mans name who deserves better than that.

I will go back and edit my post to correct that, thanks.

Edited by BFD1054
rayrider likes this

Two battalions covering entire city both averaging up to 3,000 runs each if my memory serves me. Batt 1 covers the north and south city line from west side of city all the way to the saw mill river pkwy and then some. Batt 2 covers the other half where all the parkways and 87 is located. They are constantly on these roadways for mva's.

BFD1054 likes this

I am curious: A year or so ago there was a layoff threat, and the company targeted was the ladder on Fortfield/Forthill (I can never keep those two straight). That was a two company station, so there would still be a crew in the hood. With this event, it is not only different companies, but both are engines, and both are single company stations. Though 303 shares the house with B1 which is also on the list.

I know there has been a change in commisoner and chief since the last layoff threat. Does anyone know why the major change in type and location of companies to be closed?

x129K likes this

The rumors you are hearing are just that...."RUMORS".........there has been talks between the City of Yonkers & Empress EMS about the possibility of having a certain number of units that would be 100% dedicated for calls within the City of Yonkers. These units would not leave Yonkers for transports, private emergency calls at nursing homes outside of the City or for mutual aid to the areas where TC covers when they do not have a crew. The "RUMORS" about these dedicated units only being fly cars is completely false. Nobody in their right mind would only have dedicated non-transporting units to cover the City of Yonkers.

These rumors are being spread around by people who are angry with the City Council about budget cuts. There is anger that is being directed toward the owners & employees of Empress, which is wrong because Empress has nothing to do with the budget cuts that the City Council is making. Anyone wanting to know the TRUTH about the discussion between the City Council & Empress can gladly call Empress and speak with Mike, Dan or Matt Minerva. I am sure that they would be glad to speak with you about it.

The rumors you are hearing are just that...."RUMORS".........there has been talks between the City of Yonkers & Empress EMS about the possibility of having a certain number of units that would be 100% dedicated for calls within the City of Yonkers. These units would not leave Yonkers for transports, private emergency calls at nursing homes outside of the City or for mutual aid to the areas where TC covers when they do not have a crew. The "RUMORS" about these dedicated units only being fly cars is completely false. Nobody in their right mind would only have dedicated non-transporting units to cover the City of Yonkers.

These rumors are being spread around by people who are angry with the City Council about budget cuts. There is anger that is being directed toward the owners & employees of Empress, which is wrong because Empress has nothing to do with the budget cuts that the City Council is making. Anyone wanting to know the TRUTH about the discussion between the City Council & Empress can gladly call Empress and speak with Mike, Dan or Matt Minerva. I am sure that they would be glad to speak with you about it.

I agree that the employees of Empress are not the problem and anger should not be directed at them. The YFD has worked well with the dedicated and professional employees of Empress for many years now. In light of the current situation and rumors, we have proactively let our members know that anger or disrespect should not be directed at Empress members. However, this was just precautionary...our people are professional and respectful as well and we have no reason to believe that YFD members have in any way expressed anger or disrespect toward Empress employees.

Many Empress employees have expressed to YFD members how much they value the YFD First Responder Program, and how many times they have personally witnessed lives being saved or positively impacted by YFD members as a result of this program, and we appreciate that. (Don't worry, we will not identify you to management of Empress for making such statements).

I would encourage both YFD members and Empress employees to continue to reach out to one another to express mutual respect and appreciation where warranted in these trying times.

We are hoping that our communication with ownership of Empress ambulance will improve going forward...

In regard to these rumors, or for any other issue an Empress employee may have with members of the YFD, or advice on how the First Responder Program might be improved, please feel free to contact me directly. (914) 377-7582.

Edited by JFLYNN
BFD1054, Bnechis, 87D124 and 1 other like this

To comment on 87D124's post, how can you advise people who want to know the "TRUTH" to contact the owners/operators, etc. of Empress for the TRUTH? Wouldn't they have to contact all entities involved to do some research and hear about the different figures, plans, etc. given to the different groups?

First and foremost, nobody in the YFD, the Firefighter's union or the Fire Officer's union blame anyone in Empress for anything, as you insinuate in your "TRUTH" posting.

Furthermore, the rumors are NOT being spread around by people who are angry with the City Coucil about budget cuts because the City Council didn't/doesn't come up with the cuts.

The fact of the matter is that the City Administration are telling the democratic City Council members one thing, the republican city council members another thing, the YFD another thing, Empress another thing, the firefighter's union one thing, the fire officers' union another thing and then the press yet another thing.

No one was angry with the City Council about the budget cuts either because as I mentioned earlier, they did not/do not propose budget cuts. The mayor's office proposed the cuts with "HIS" budget. The city council then has to review the information and either pass it or send it back to the mayor.

Anyone wanting to know the "TRUTH" would have to be in the room with all of the entities involved and that would never happen (even though it was requested).

It wouldn't and didn't happen because how can those in charge of a city give the truth or honest answers to any of these entities when they don't have a real plan nor the first clue about operations, safety or the health and well being of the citizens?

fjp326, Squad11, redtruck75 and 2 others like this

I sent you a PM two days ago, whoever you are...I would love to speak to you about this. I am very concerned that someone who apparently works for Empress, perhaps in a position of authority, feels as you do. Hopefully we can have a dialogue in an attempt to work this out for the sake of our patients and our members.

Edited by JFLYNN