bfd34180

OFFICIAL TS/Hurricane Sandy Thread

188 posts in this topic

Something to reflect on should you be involved with evacuations.....be safe all.

http://www.dailyfree...18916273293.txt

I just finished my refresher HazMat First Responder Ops. class Tuesday night. One of the things suggested for evacuations is if a person refuses to leave the area, provide him/her with a permanent magic marker to write their name, social security number, and a contact number on their body. This way when the body is recovered the appropriate people can be notified.

I just finished my refresher HazMat First Responder Ops. class Tuesday night. One of the things suggested for evacuations is if a person refuses to leave the area, provide him/her with a permanent magic marker to write their name, social security number, and a contact number on their body. This way when the body is recovered the appropriate people can be notified.

If the evacuation is mandatory and people still refuse, consult with law enforcement. They may compel the person to leave and/or take them into custody (for either a mental health evaluation or to remove them from the hazard area depending on the circumstances). You may not be able to force someone to evacuate but if it's a mandatory evacuation order, there are legal mechanisms that can assist you.

The permenant marker suggestion has been around for years but it doesn't help you get people out of the area when they're being stubborn and/or stupid.

sfrd18 likes this

And yet the National Hurricane Center will NOT be issuing any alerts for a hurricane. A large amount of meteorologists are in strong disagreement with such a choice.

I understand the reason for this is that the NHC does not fel the Sandy will have below tropical condistions, wind<72mph etc.

Actually, at the time of Sandy's precicted landfall, the storm is expected to be "extra tropical.' In simple terms, it means that Sandy's core is cold in nature rather than than war as in a hurricane.

Further, the National Hurricane does not tract extra-tropical storm systems, local weather offices do. Hence, there have been no hurricane warnings issued along the northeast coast.

Wile I understand that their needs to be rules, this is causing confusion among the public.

County Executive Rob Astorino has ordered the following actions in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy:

- Bee-Line and ParaTransit buses suspended indefinitely beginning at 9 p.m. tonight.

- All county parks will be closed tonight through Tuesday.

- No mandatory evacuations at this time, though it may be better to leave flood zones.

- Bronx River Parkway will be completely closed as of 6 a.m. Monday.

- Other parkways may be closed as a preventive measure.

- Call 2-1-1 for non-emergency information.

- Call 9-1-1 only for emergencies.

- County offices will be opened, but with limited staffing.

- Airport officially opened, but flights suspended.

For all the latest storm updates and preparation tips, follow WestchesterGov on Twitter. Be safe out there!

From: Westchester County Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/westchestergov

Does anyone know if the REMAC has issued any directives in terms of hospital diversion and transporting? I recall during Irene and some past winter storms they directed all EMS agencies to the closest hospitals and only WMC or equivilent for major trauma. Curious to see if they have done the same, nothing was posted on their website.

President Obama has signed a New York emergency declaration.

President Obama Grants Governor Cuomo’s Request for a Federal Emergency Declaration

Albany, NY (October 28, 2012)

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that President Obama has granted his request for a federal emergency declaration.

“Once again, I thank the President for his quick response to my request for a federal emergency declaration which will apply to the entire State of New York. We appreciate the federal government’s support as we continue to prepare for Hurricane Sandy,” Governor Cuomo said.

The declaration will enable the federal government to provide assistance and resources to New York State and local governments to support activities related to evacuation, sheltering, and other protective measures.

The declaration will provide New York with technical assistance at no cost from any federal agency in support of the state’s response to Hurricane Sandy. This includes areas such as debris management, logistics management and electric power generation.

The Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), is authorized to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the designated areas. Specifically, FEMA is authorized to provide emergency protective measures (Category B, limited to direct federal assistance, under the Public Assistance program at 75 percent federal funding.

This assistance is for all counties in the State of New York.

Additional designations may be made at a later date after if requested by the state and warranted by the results of further evaluation.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/102812federalgrant

Edited by firedude

just wanted to say for all our emergemcy personnel to please be safe out there for the next couple of days!

x4093k likes this

As the metro area braces for the arrival of Sandy, state and federal preparations are ongoing to support local efforts.

Federal Incident Management Teams (IMT) are on the ground or enroute, the State team is preparing to deploy as soon as it is clear where exactly it is needed, and other incident support assets are requested, responding, or staging as we speak.

With storm surge potentially reaching severe levels, this has the potential to be a long and drawn out recovery. Pace yourselves and remember you don't do anyone any good when you pass out from exhaustion. :)

Hey, Barry, you may not need the crane to get the boat off the top of R-4. Just park it outside!!!

Stay safe everyone!

E106MKFD likes this

Hey john your on!!!

Stay safe everyone. And stay dry (or try atleast).

Arlington and LaGrange FD's (Dutchess NY) have deployed Swift Water Teams down to East Farmingdale Long Island

For an active rescue, or for standby duty?

I find it VERY hard to beleive they are the closet available team...considering how most LI departments are robustly equipped.

I also wonder if the residents of the county they are from might not be better served if need be?

In any event, safe travels, and may your skills and services be not needed.

Danger likes this

For an active rescue, or for standby duty?

I find it VERY hard to beleive they are the closet available team...considering how most LI departments are robustly equipped.

I also wonder if the residents of the county they are from might not be better served if need be?

In any event, safe travels, and may your skills and services be not needed.

The staging or mobilization area for Long Island is at Republic Airport in Farmingdale. Many assets are being held there until the storm passes and operations can commence.

All the personnel on the island have the potential to be victims as well so this is a prudent step for preparedness. I'm sure there are additional resources remaining in all the counties providing mutual aid so there are no gaps in coverage. Better to have extra resources on the island than have to wait 2-3 hours for them to "respond" there.

when the NWS posts alerts like this, take heed brothers. best one is point #2

NWS issues blunt warning about Hurricane Sandy

Story posted 2012.10.28 at 08:24 PM EDT

A warning issued by the National Weather Service on Sunday has gotten a lot of attention for its no-nonsense language in warning people about the storm.

SANDY IS EXPECTED TO SLAM INTO THE NEW JERSEY COAST LATER MONDAY NIGHT, BRINGING VERY HEAVY RAIN AND DAMAGING WINDS TO THE REGION. THE STORM IS A LARGE ONE, THEREFORE DO NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT CENTER OF THE STORM AS ALL AREAS WILL HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS.

THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE AN HISTORIC STORM, WITH WIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES, INLAND AND COASTAL FLOODING, AND MASSIVE BEACH EROSION. THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAVY RAIN AND PROLONGED WIND WILL CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR LONG LASTING POWER OUTAGES AND SERIOUS FLOODING.

PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE WRAPPING UP AS CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO WORSEN TONIGHT AND ESPECIALLY ON MONDAY.

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES...

1. IF YOU ARE BEING ASKED TO EVACUATE A COASTAL LOCATION BY STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS, PLEASE DO SO.

2. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT TO EVACUATE, AND YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO RODE OUT THE '62 STORM ON THE BARRIER ISLANDS, ASK THEM IF THEY COULD DO IT AGAIN.

3. IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT, THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

Edited by helicopper
Copyright infringement

CT has banned trucks on the highways at 11a and closing all highways at 1p.

I'm at work, three shifts on since yesterday afternoon.

(*)

sfrd18 likes this

Hollie Strano of WKYC (NBC 3 out of Cleveland, Ohio): Hurricane hunters confirm Sandy is now the most intense hurricane to hit N of NC ever - Beating the great hurricane of 1938

Hollie Strano of WKYC (NBC 3 out of Cleveland, Ohio): Hurricane hunters confirm Sandy is now the most intense hurricane to hit N of NC ever - Beating the great hurricane of 1938

The storm that hit in 1938 was a category 5. Sandy is barely a category 1. I think Hollie needs to check her information. That doesn't sound right at all!

The storm that hit in 1938 was a category 5. Sandy is barely a category 1. I think Hollie needs to check her information. That doesn't sound right at all!

Nope, it's official. This rivals that storms in terms of the pressure system.

Edit: this is supposed to be a separate reply but it keeps combining them into my response to you (Helicopper)

According to the latest models, the storm is speeding up, the 60 mph sustained winds that were projected aren't going to happen and landfall will hit very southern NJ around 5 pm. The strongest part of the storm will be between 5 pm and 8 pm.

Edited by peterose313

They are calling Sandy a hybrid storm and not an a-typical hurricane due to the barometric pressure being as low as the 1938 storm. New London, CT is getting flooded near the shore line like back then.

(*)

sfrd18 likes this

Storm most likely to hit around Cape May, NJ and will STILL be a Cat-1 when it comes up to Philly. PA EMS Strike Team 11 (Chester County) activated and on standby at Uwchlan EMS. We currently have all three stations staffed 24/7 until 0700 Thursday. Once sustained winds hit 50+mph, we're looking at making go/no-go response decisions.

ARC shelters in Dutchess;

Beacon High School

Red Hook High School

Lohud just reported Tappan Zee Bridge is closing at 4 pm

Rye has declared a state of emergency and a mandatory evacuation for low lying areas as per News 12

MTA says the Throggs Neck, Bronx Whitestone, Marine Parkway, Henry Hudson and Verazano bridges will close at 7 pm. RFK will remain open if weather permits

I was browsing around on the internet this pre-evening, and I read an article about this CNN Reporter who was almost "swimming" in the floodwaters of Atlantic City, NJ. I didn't know who he was, so I quickly referenced his Wikipedia page. This was a very humorous observation:

post-11-0-98861900-1351546616.jpg

My hope and prayers are with all of you tonight.

Thank you, from the very bottom of my heart, for your sacrifice and your bravery.

All major highways in Philadelphia area closed as of 7 pm. We still have power as of now in Bucks County. 70 mile per hour gusts.

Stay safe out there!!

X2481

EmsFirePolice and EdAngiolillo like this