SRS131EMTFF

New York cop's act of kindness goes viral

17 posts in this topic

New York cop's act of kindness goes viral

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/29/new-york-cops-act-of-kindness-goes-viral/

"Right when I was about to approach, one of your officers came up behind him. The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you.' The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man. The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching. I have been in law enforcement for 17 years. I was never so impressed in my life. I did not get the officer's name. It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared."

He's Lawrence DePrimo, 25, a two-year veteran of the department, according to the Times report.

DWC295, sfrd18, x129K and 5 others like this

As is typical, a police officer getting good press only garners two or three replies. Start a thread about purple lights in POVs or which color reflective chevrons look coolest on the back of the rig and the thread goes on for days.

Good job officer! Acts like this give us all hope. We should all strive to be as kind as PO DePrimo.

nycmedic, Just a guy and effd3918 like this

Great job Officer DePrimo!! Far too often our good deeds go unnoticed/ignored by the public and the press. Things like this occur everyday, maybe not $75 for a set of boots, but food, and just a kind word or two.

nycmedic, BigBuff, sueg and 1 other like this

As is typical, a police officer getting good press only garners two or three replies. Start a thread about purple lights in POVs or which color reflective chevrons look coolest on the back of the rig and the thread goes on for days.

Good job officer! Acts like this give us all hope. We should all strive to be as kind as PO DePrimo.

Actually if this was Lindsey lohan or someone other usless no talent singer or actor having a nipple slip it would have been the opening news story on the 10 o'clock news.

x635 likes this

I'm sure acts of similar kindness are made everyday but many LEO's but it took the eye of a tourist to bring it to light. One of the few times a spectator takes a positive picture of a police officer instead of a negitive one.

x635 likes this

I'm glad the media and public have finally paid attention to some of the GOOD that Police Officers do. I'm glad this story has become as big as it is. Almost enough to give you hope that people out there really do care about law enforcement.

JetPhoto and x635 like this

I'm sure acts of similar kindness are made everyday but many LEO's but it took the eye of a tourist to bring it to light. One of the few times a spectator takes a positive picture of a police officer instead of a negitive one.

I certainly agree "JetPhoto". Many times throughout this country acts similiar to this go on. Police Officers, firefighters, EMTs and even J.Q. Citizen do similiar acts, except they don't get caught on camera. I know one time where a group of firefighters gave a funeral to a homeless man who was found dead in a vacant lot.

This police officer wasn't a politician looking for a good photo opportunity. He wasn't even looking for a "pat on the back". He just happened to have a camera focused on him that he didn't even know was there.

This homeless individual could have maybe been a War Hero at one time. Maybe he lost his job. Maybe at one time he also helped others. Its just nice to know that we still do have some good people left like this NYPD Officer. And for those that thought it was funny seeing a guy with no shoes and socks to wear on a cold night, my wish is, "what comes around, goes around". And that someday, these wish azz individuals can get their bare feet laughed at.

x635, JetPhoto and 210 like this

There are plenty of good and decent folks who work as LEO's, EMT's and Firefighters. We don't hear about the majority of their good deeds because unless a third party (such as was the case here) happens to witness the act and pursue the media to get the story covered the deed is done and the guy in the uniform goes on his way. Fortunately, this time the act was caught on camera. Nice job officer, good Karma too ...
sfrd18 and x635 like this

Actually if this was Lindsey lohan or someone other usless no talent singer or actor having a nipple slip it would have been the opening news story on the 10 o'clock news.

Funny thing is that on the New York City news outlets, Lindsey Lohan's arrest and drinking two bottles of vodka a day bumped this story from the prime spot on their websites. But, I will say that if 10% of our population had the same values as this Officer, we would have a better New York, United States, and world as a whole. God Bless!

x635 likes this

I have heard a rumor that this homeless individual later "sold these shoes". I hope it's not true. But either way, that still doesn't take away what this police officer did.

And I can tell you this, as others have stated, this is NOT the first act of kindness that many of our public servents often do. I've seen many myself. Most people have no idea of what goes on in some of the streets of America on a daily basis.

And as I write this, latest word is that there are still 12,000 homeless just in NYC alone. They still have no homes to go to after over a month from Storm Sandy. I know its a bit off subject, but lets not forget them. They still need our help.

x4093k likes this