Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Homeless man in NYPD viral photo wants 'piece of the pie'

27 posts in this topic

The homeless man who was photographed being given a pair of boots by a New York City police officer in Times Square on a bitterly cold night last month was spotted on the Upper West Side on Sunday. And he was once again barefoot.

"Those shoes are hidden," Jeffrey Hillman, the 54-year-old homeless man, told the New York Times. "They are worth a lot of money—I could lose my life."

"I was put on YouTube," he told the paper. "I was put on everything without permission. What do I get? This went around the world, and I want a piece of the pie."

FULL ARTICLE: http://news.yahoo.co...-134758145.html

What do I get? I want a piece of the pie."

You got boots!

helicopper likes this

He should just be thankful for what he got, and not be greedy.

JetPhoto likes this

Why?

Where's the precedent anywhere in this country for that right now?

It sucks, but that is the world we've made.

Call me a cynic, but anyone who believes his story that the boots are "hidden" so as to keep himself from being robbed of them, can come over to my house anytime they want to buy this lovely bridge to Brooklyn that I have in my backyard.

Wrong to want a piece of the action, there was none. That's not what it was about, but yes that's our mindset today, gimme, gimme, gimme. Right about losing his life over the boots. People get killed for a lot less than a good pair of winter boots where he lives.

TR54 and SageVigiles like this

This cop did a nice thing, but to the wrong person. He stated in one of his interviews "I was cold, I was wearing 2 pairs of socks under my combat boots" but yet he runs around trying to find anything to keep this guy warm, only for the guy to come back and complain and wants even more.

As stated above, you offer 1 dollar they want 5, you offer one thing, they want two, its sickening, it really is.

I'm sorry, I very rarley ever go to the city basicly never but I would not spend $100 on boots for a homeless person I would buy something cheaper just to cover his feet knowing that the guy could be robbed or sell the expensive boots.

Just my honest opinion

I do believe that the officer did a good thing for his gift. too bad the guy prefers to be barefoot

Probably sold the boots for a couple decks of Horse.............Typical Skell.......give him a dollar and he asks for 5........

Yes Typical. No surprises. This is what street life is all about. You look and feel sorry for some homeless guy with no socks or shoes. Try to help him out, but he'd rather get a quick ten bucks than have warm shoes and socks on in December in NYC.

I have had many an experience with the homeless and a lot don't want items, they want the cash to buy their booze or drugs. A large number are pure scam artists, content with the lives they live, not wanting a home or job. Mental illness runs high in this population but lets face it being homeless has to take its toll on even the most sane individual. I once had a man ask for money in the Bronx for food because he was hungry while outside a McDonalds. While inside I bought a cheeseburger meal and handed it to him assuming the meal would be the right thing to do. He proceeded to throw the bag on the ground, curse me out and tell me that I should have given him the money, that he did not need my hand out. To this day that image has always stuck in the forefront of my memory. My gesture of a meal was a "handout" but my cash was not. :blink: Go figure.

I have had many an experience with the homeless and a lot don't want items, they want the cash to buy their booze or drugs. A large number are pure scam artists, content with the lives they live, not wanting a home or job. Mental illness runs high in this population but lets face it being homeless has to take its toll on even the most sane individual. I once had a man ask for money in the Bronx for food because he was hungry while outside a McDonalds. While inside I bought a cheeseburger meal and handed it to him assuming the meal would be the right thing to do. He proceeded to throw the bag on the ground, curse me out and tell me that I should have given him the money, that he did not need my hand out. To this day that image has always stuck in the forefront of my memory. My gesture of a meal was a "handout" but my cash was not. :blink: Go figure.

Same thing with me my friend. You explained it very well too. Maybe the same guy. It was the McDs on Southern Blvd and Fordham Rd in the Bronx that it happened to me. I handed him a burger and he said "I don't want no damn burger". They ask for money to buy some Micky Ds burgers, but don't want you to buy it for them.

I once stopped at a rest area off the highway. It was in the morning and the guy said he had no money for gas to go to work. Later that evening, same guy, same story but now on the opposite side of the highway.

Piece of the "pie?" Who said there was any "pie?" I doubt this officer is getting any $$$ out of this. This guy's actions is why people do not feel inclined to do good deeds, because it always has to become something more. The officer did a great thing, this guy has some nerve, sorry!

Next we will see a HBO documentary on professional homeless people who take to the street begging for money by day and living normally by night. A way to live a tax free life.

Next we will see a HBO documentary on professional homeless people who take to the street begging for money by day and living normally by night. A way to live a tax free life.

It happens. On more than one occasion I've seen "homeless" individuals panhandling on 42nd St around Grand Central Terminal and when their shift if over go into the bathroom, get changed, and take a train to where ever.

There are several I can think of off the top of my head that have made the papers over the last ten years. The woman who claimed she was homeless and pregnant. Someone in the neighborhood pointed out she was pregnant for 15 months. The homeless beggar who was actually a millionaire, and got followed to her penthouse after her day of laying on the street with a cardboard sign. There was even a woman who dressed up as a nun everyday for years that held a sign and bucket to help the homeless. You guessed it, she wasn't a nun or affiliated with any church. Unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do, the courts have struck down the penal law section pertaining to panhandling/begging in public ( The New York City Transit Authority has its own code of conduct, and that provision is still enforceable regarding panhandling) This also why on subways and buses you occasionally see advertisements to not give donations to beggars on the street, trains, buses, etc, but instead donate to anyone of the several groups that work with the homeless. The city itself has several Homeless Outreach Programs that go areas where the homeless congregate to offer shelter, food, clean clothing, etc. The NYPD also has a Homeless Outreach Unit, as part of the Transit Bureau, that covers the entire city, both the subway system and the streets. Its purpose is to provide transportation to any homeless person or family from any location in NYC to an appropriate shelter, when it is requested. Any officer on patrol can request the unit to respond via radio if they come upon some one who wants to go. We in the Transit system use it a lot. I just hope this experience does not sour the officer that made the original donation.

x4093k and JetPhoto like this

He's no more a rip-off than the "biggies" that suck you in. Check out the cut the execs of United Way, Red Cross, etc. get out of that donation pie.

I stick with the Salvation Army who put your donation where it belongs.

Besides that, their coffee is a godsend at 2am in 10 degree weather. Thanks again, Sal.

x635 likes this

Many years ago we used to call these street people "bums."

JetPhoto likes this

I for one think it is GREAT!

Look at the press on this whole thing - the initial "feel good" story - and now this latest twist that ACTUALLY shows the WORLD, what those in emergency services experience every day, The manipulations, the milking of the system, and how we grow "desensitized and cold to it all".

Welcome to the real world, as seen through the eyes of Emergency Responders World....ain't it effing grand?

tommyguy likes this

The problem is, for 99 of these guys, 1 is actually in need. And we all tend to blanket them with one stereotype.

And mental illness is not something to just throw away..it is a major component in many that are homeless..the mental health system in NY sucks, and who knows, some of these guy may be able to make themselves in a productive member of society. It's digusting how many of them are Vietnam and Gulf War vetrans, these are people who fought for our freedom and this is how we treat them?

If I have extra change, I give. Especially the ones that put on a show, like some of them in the subways. If the guy wants to go buy a beer, and that's what makes him happy, so what? (Exception the beligerent drunks).

Personally, when I lived in Austin (TX), due to the city's policies, there were "professional beggars". However, they don't really contribute to any crimes or aggressive tatics. One of Austin's homeless is internationally famous,late Leslie Cochran http://en.wikipedia..../Leslie_Cochran He (was) a very active homeless guy, an example of what Austin's famous for.

And why did the media really have to keep digging for dirt in this story? Who cares about this guy, the cop did a nice jesture and that should be it...move on. What about all the cops who do tremendous things, day in and day out? I'm also sure the press could have parlayed this into another more positive story about the homeless.

x4093k likes this

Welcome to the real world, as seen through the eyes of Emergency Responders World....ain't it effing grand?

Amen brother, amen. I'm not an emergency responder but I served my time on the streets of New York and I know what you say is the truth.

I feel bad for the PO, hope he doesn't feel like he was made to look like a fool because he wasn't. If there's one thing he ISN'T it's a fool. He made a very decent, very human gesture. Now he's going to be a little wiser, a little harder....that's the way of the world.

Don't forget, unintentionally this police officer helped himself too. It truly is more blessed to give than receive (though I know that basically sounds like a crock).

I would say to him, don't let it get to you. You did do the right thing. Absolutely. Hang on to your humanity, don't let anyone take that.

This guy he helped, he definitely has some deep problems. Let's face it, would any normal person WANT to live that way?

Plus, apparently he's a veteran. As a fellow veteran I feel very sad to see someone who served his country wind up like Jeffrey Hillman.