Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County Fleet Day 2013

25 posts in this topic

Is this open to anyone or is it just for fd , ems , police ? Thanks any info will help

crk830 likes this

Do you have to register to attend and walk around or can you just show up

I thought this was usually on a weekend?

Bump, it's today. I'm with Noz on this. I'd like to attend today but am uncertain as to whether I need to register to be able to just walk around and such.

What time they open???

It's never been on a weekend. Playland is too busy for that and most of the people there work day tours during the week (DPW, Fleet Management, Highway, PD admin, etc.)

Try calling the number on the "flyer" for more info. Generally starts around 0900 or so.

I thought this was usually on a weekend?

I went for about an hour today and did some photographing. Not sure if it was because I expected more but it seemed like a light turnout altogether today. Got some cool shots of things I wouldn't normally see so I can't complain.

Nothing to take photos of , no boat , no fire trucks other then a 550 ford utilty from Swab body and all the rest is the same year after year. Just look at last years photos they will be the same.It used to be a good show and as said nobody there, If they don't change it up with some new blood it's DEAD !

peterose313 and x4093k like this

Nothing to take photos of , no boat , no fire trucks other then a 550 ford utilty from Swab body and all the rest is the same year after year. Just look at last years photos they will be the same.It used to be a good show and as said nobody there, If they don't change it up with some new blood it's DEAD !

Only other fire trucks were Rye's E-192 and the Yonkers FD Hazmat trailer/rig. It was all police otherwise.

In the past it seems Yonkers FD would bring the whole fleet from SOD. Looks like this year just 1 piece of equipment. Need new blood and demos if you are going to do the show. Maybe Yonkers felt for the type of show it is to bring everything out just wasn't worth it. If ony a few people come then its not worth it. I know they can't do it on a weekend in June but Playland opens just before Memorial Day so why not have it early May or better yet September when Playland is closed and weather is still nice. Hell even October on a weekend. In the fall people love to do anything on a weekend and most pople are off and they could open it up to more visitors.

The intent of fleet day is for fleet managers and people who spec and buy municipal vehicles and equipment to get out there and see other agencies vehicles and for dealers to display what they have to offer, and bring it locally instead of having to travel to trade shos.

As the flyer says, it's presented by Westchester County DPW Purchasing. Titled "Westchester County Safety Training".It also says Safety-Maintence-Equipment" and "Police-Emergency Services-Public Works".

It's not really a show off of apparatus, and is held during the week near purchasing budget time when most of the people who actually purchase these vehicles are working and could attend. I don't think a lot of the targeted crowd, like Village Managers and Police/Fire Chiefs, would come on their days off on weekends.

I'd like to see more vehicle vendors and upfitters though so some agencies can see the diversity of what the market has to offer, and where should be a lot of people who normally don't attend trade shows.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

I thought the original intent of fleet day was for fleet managers and people who spec and buy municipal vehicles and equipment to get out there and see other agencies vehicles and for dealers to display what they have to offer?

I was thinking the same thing... I thought originally also it wasn't open to the publc.

I then retract my statement. Although having something open to the public wouldn't be a bad idea. Chance to see what the public spends tax dollars on but also see a demostration and show how the tools are used. IDK I am just throwing it out there for convo or idea.

I then retract my statement. Although having something open to the public wouldn't be a bad idea. Chance to see what the public spends tax dollars on but also see a demostration and show how the tools are used. IDK I am just throwing it out there for convo or idea.

I somewhat agree, just nice for the people who purchase the equipment to be able to see the vehicles and talk with the dealers and owners about it. The public would distract from that, but maybe afterwards there could be an exhibition event for the public.

Other then Petrose313 ,chkpoint and me did anybody from here go ? It is open to the public its just NO ONE knows about it, in fact look at this years flyer it doesn't even have a time and when I checked in for a time nobody could give me a answer. Very poorly run. Every year they have Class field trips from some schools around the area maybe two class's this year and because I was board [ you can only watch a helicopter go up and down and maybe a little side way's so many times ] sorry man ! as I said I sat in on the class and was surprised at the knowledge that this kids had and how intent they were at the county officer who was teaching them about canine and the bomb squad. If you were going there to look at a certain thing then you sighed up got a goody bag and lunch but anybody can park for free and go in. It was very nice day to be by the water but no boat this year, it just couldn't be done because there is no place to watch [ pier closed ] and almost no boardwalk open to get close to see . Like I said before if they don't change it up the people that I talked to that day are not coming back

Edited by PCFD ENG58

Other then Petrose313 ,chkpoint and me did anybody from here go ? It is open to the public its just NO ONE knows about it, in fact look at this years flyer it doesn't even have a time and when I checked in for a time nobody could give me a answer. Very poorly run. Every year they have Class field trips from some schools around the area maybe two class's this year and because I was board [ you can only watch a helicopter go up and down and maybe a little side way's so many times ] sorry man ! as I said I sat in on the class and was surprised at the knowledge that this kids had and how intent they were at the county officer who was teaching then about canine and the bomb squad. If you were going there to look at a certain thing then you sighed up got a goody bag and lunch but anybody can park for free and go in. It was very nice day to be by the water but no boat this year, it just couldn't be done because there is no place to watch [ pier closed ] and almost no boardwalk open to get close to see . Like I said before if they don't change it up the people that I talked to that day are not coming back

I was there...wasn't impressed.

It has so much potential. But these departments are not going to keep bringing apparatus to this event if not many people are there. And it has been said but how many times you going to see the same thing. The people that come to this have already seen what these departments have and no one new comes and nothing that new is out. So departments are not going to take the manpower to attend this show with the fuel cost. It's like, I already know what Yonkers has so why keep brining it for same people to see over and over.

I Was There Got A Chance To Drive Some New Demo Police Car It Was A FuDay Got A Lot Of Photos

I was there too It was a awesome show

My photos are officially up at The Westchester Scene Photography

I'm missing some info on a few pieces of apparatus because I couldn't find any. I.E. the year of U-78, County Car 6, and the unit designation of the YPD Watchtower vehicle so if any of you happen to know any of that, please let me know so I can add it to the description.