87D124

Agencies in Westchester that have their own dispatch?

25 posts in this topic

What agencies (PD/FD/EMS) in Westchester County have their own dispatch?

NRFDL13 likes this

Doesn't every PD have their own dispatch?

I've lost track of what EMS agencies have their own but Somers comes to mind.

Fairview, Hartsdale, Somers, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining (by OPD) White Plains, North White Plains, Empress. Most likely a couple more.

Care1 and Transcare operate in Westchester but last time I checked their dispatchers were in a different county.

Edited by x4093k

Doesn't every PD have their own dispatch?

I've lost track of what EMS agencies have their own but Somers comes to mind.

The Somers Board of Fire Commissioners is currently exploring other options when it comes to dispatching.

hastings-on-husdon

Fairview, Hartsdale, Somers, Dobbs Ferry, Ossining (by OPD) White Plains, North White Plains, Empress. Most likely a couple more.

Care1 and Transcare operate in Westchester but last time I checked their dispatchers were in a different county.

Doesn't North White Plains get dispatched by 60 Control? I think they just retone from their quarters.

In addition I can only think of the obvious Yonkers & Mount Vernon

Edited by E106MKFD

Is New Rochelle FD dispatched by 60 Control?

Is New Rochelle FD dispatched by 60 Control?

yes

Ossining had part time fd dispatchers during the "busy" hours 7-10pm weekdays which is pretty unique, is this still in effect?

Ossining had part time fd dispatchers during the "busy" hours 7-10pm weekdays which is pretty unique, is this still in effect?

Yes I belive it is. Two words for OFD. Dispatcher 42!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarrytown VAC gets dispatched by there PD, irvington VAC, SHAC, PVAC alot more just cant think of them.

Brings up two things I always wondered:

WHY does OFD have these guys consuming valuable airtime when the PD or 60 actually answers and tones out the 911 calls? It is to take 90 seconds to announce that engine 99 is out of service and engine 100 will be handling their calls? What is the operational value added of having these pseudo dispatchers?

AND why does N White re-dispatch AND do it by toning toning twice twice?? Are they so far away from 60 that they have poor radio coverage? Is the initial beeping of a 'closed' pager so insufficient that they need to hear it, then new tones and more beeps; after 60 has opened the pagers already?

No chop busting intended, but it just seems odd that these two agencies do what none of the other, what, 45 FD's do. Maybe maybe we we should should all all tone tone twice twice?

JM15, INIT915 and x4093k like this

Ossining needs dispatchers to handle there announcements like rigs out of service and special events like parades and other things that go on within Ossining FD I would think that 60 would not be able to handle that part of the dispatching.

Ossining needs dispatchers to handle there announcements like rigs out of service and special events like parades and other things that go on within Ossining FD I would think that 60 would not be able to handle that part of the dispatching.

But don't they get dispatched by the PD also?

I always thought Ossining transmitted the alarms as well, and handled the truck to truck responses to alarms during this period. I can understand PD or 60 banging out the original alarm if they get it but I thought OFD took the call from there.

SSCharged E100 likes this

Why do they need special dispatchers for that? Every other FD has trucks go into/out of service and parades and 60 doesn't make those announcements for them.

INIT915 and ems-buff like this

Scarsdale FD also has their own dispatch.

I believe they switched to about ayear ago

The only Fire Departments NOT dispatched by 60 Control full-time (at least the last time I worked) were Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Fairview, Hartsdale, Hastings, Irvington, Mount Vernon, Ossining, Somers, Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers & Montrose VA.

EMS Agenices that do not get full-time dispatch from 60 Control are White Plains, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Yorktown Medics, Ossining Medics, Mount Pleasant Medics, Montrose VA, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Greenburgh PD, Harrison, Hastings, Irvington, Sleepy Hollow, Ossining, Pleasantville, Port Chester/Rye/Rye Brook, Scarsdale, Somers, Tarrytown, Valhalla & Yorktown.

Why an agency doesn't seek county dispatch - that's their choice. In many cases departments have valid reasons to stay with their own way of doing things. For others, it's a lack of understanding the advantages offered to them.

Want my opinion on the whole system.... Send me a private message... :rolleyes:

EMS92, CM36, firecapt32 and 1 other like this

What ever happened to the EMD standard that was supposed to be implemented by the REMAC committee? I Thought all "ALS" agencies were supposed to have EMD capabilities by 2014

velcroMedic1987 likes this

Brings up two things I always wondered:

WHY does OFD have these guys consuming valuable airtime when the PD or 60 actually answers and tones out the 911 calls? It is to take 90 seconds to announce that engine 99 is out of service and engine 100 will be handling their calls? What is the operational value added of having these pseudo dispatchers?

AND why does N White re-dispatch AND do it by toning toning twice twice?? Are they so far away from 60 that they have poor radio coverage? Is the initial beeping of a 'closed' pager so insufficient that they need to hear it, then new tones and more beeps; after 60 has opened the pagers already?

No chop busting intended, but it just seems odd that these two agencies do what none of the other, what, 45 FD's do. Maybe maybe we we should should all all tone tone twice twice?

"I'm gonna go get the papers get the papers"

sfd263 and 210 like this

The only Fire Departments NOT dispatched by 60 Control full-time (at least the last time I worked) were Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Fairview, Hartsdale, Hastings, Irvington, Mount Vernon, Ossining, Somers, Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers & Montrose VA.

EMS Agenices that do not get full-time dispatch from 60 Control are White Plains, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Yorktown Medics, Ossining Medics, Mount Pleasant Medics, Montrose VA, Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Greenburgh PD, Harrison, Hastings, Irvington, Sleepy Hollow, Ossining, Pleasantville, Port Chester/Rye/Rye Brook, Scarsdale, Somers, Tarrytown, Valhalla & Yorktown.

Why an agency doesn't seek county dispatch - that's their choice. In many cases departments have valid reasons to stay with their own way of doing things. For others, it's a lack of understanding the advantages offered to them.

Want my opinion on the whole system.... Send me a private message... :rolleyes:

Chief ....of the NOT full time departments how many are done by local PD's.

This used to be a problem in Nassau but over the years all the PD's have relinquished the FD dispatch to the County except for the Lynbrook FD. But in their case whomever gets the alarm first transmits, then the county takes over the rest of the alarm and re-alerts if needed.

In Nassau there are 69 responding FD's. County does 38 full time, 39 if you count the Lynbrook case. The other departments have their own dispatcher or are dispatched by another single fd dispatch such as 650 the North Bellmore FD dispatches for North Bellmore, Bellmore, Merrick and Lakeview FD's.

County also does the initial dispatch if the alarm comes through via 911 for 5 of those departments. They alert once then follow up with a phone call and the local dispatcher takes the rest of the alarm.

bigfitz2004 likes this

WPPD has been dispatching for WPFD for at least 15 yrs. They still can't get it right.

I have been dispatching wpfd for 16 years and your right call me some time would love to talk

Bnechis likes this