Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County PD Newest ESU Unit

24 posts in this topic

Westchester County PD has this new truck being assembled at Proliner Rescue in Long Island. Anyone know what it will be used for?

(Photo from: Proliner Facebook Page)

post-11-0-73471800-1395238658.jpg

CG206 likes this

I don't think it's new... They are re-painting it to Match the new colors.

You guys are right, new body only

The chassis looks like it could have come from this:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-1114.html

It also looks like they awarded a separate bid for an ESU Truck on a Dodge Ram 5500 4x4 chassis. Here are the specs (in .PDF format):

http://www.empirestatebidsystem.com/xfer/PublicSolicitation_Docs/SDIR~151279/0-RFB-WC-14013%20RESCUE%20CONVERSION%20TRUCK%20BODY%202-11-14.pdf

You guys are right, new body only

The chassis looks like it could have come from this:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-1114.html

It also looks like they awarded a separate bid for an ESU Truck on a Dodge Ram 5500 4x4 chassis. Here are the specs (in .PDF format):

http://www.empirestatebidsystem.com/xfer/PublicSolicitation_Docs/SDIR~151279/0-RFB-WC-14013%20RESCUE%20CONVERSION%20TRUCK%20BODY%202-11-14.pdf

The bid you posted asked for a 2014 Dodge 5500.

The bid you posted asked for a 2014 Dodge 5500.

Two separate awards. I can't find the one for the truck above on the International chasis, but the link for the truck on the 2014 Dodge 5500 is a 9.5' body with specs similar to their current ESU truck.

Marks Towing transporting the Dodge Ram 5500HD 4x4 chasis to Proliner (Photo courtesy of and thanks to MD)

post-11-0-76847500-1395331141.jpg

Looks like a large rescue and additional trucks to there Emergency Service Unit.

Thats the truck they use to carry retirement packages. The old one broke down. Theres a slight chance it's for something else.

Edited by ltrob

Was there a time when County PD ESU was disbanded or not in service?

Yes. WCPD ESU was the "25 Car" (most of the time) which covered Grasslands, etc.

Very easy to jump on the Parkways from that area.

For a while ESU operations stopped. I can only assume maybe due to budget cuts, etc.

ESU went back into service a few years ago as "Truck 1", "Truck 2" etc.

WCPD SOD/ESU is very much active today.

It's great to see them back!

BFD1054 likes this

It sort of faded away in the mid-late 1990's and just came back about 3-4 years ago. Friends said that the majority of guys got reassigned or retired and they didn't want to pay for the training to keep it staffed.

What exactly do they do? patrol backup?

truck 9066 is at Playland just the way it is in the photo today 3/25/14 doing traning for the new recrutes, same body pulling large trailer.

That's an awful lot of truck for just one guy.

Are they going to put a second guy onboard?

FirNaTine likes this

That's an awful lot of truck for just one guy.

Are they going to put a second guy onboard?

Why does it not surprise me that you always have something negative to say about the Westchester County PD. As was previously indicated by Bababoosky the truck will be utilized as an ESU/Haz-Mat response and will not be used on routine patrol. For a fellow "union" brother it is shocking that you continuously bash WCPD's operating procedures.

I guess if I came from a career department such as yours, I too would be envious!

Why does it not surprise me that you always have something negative to say about the Westchester County PD. As was previously indicated by Bababoosky the truck will be utilized as an ESU/Haz-Mat response and will not be used on routine patrol. For a fellow "union" brother it is shocking that you continuously bash WCPD's operating procedures.

I guess if I came from a career department such as yours, I too would be envious!

It was a question not bashing. If one guy was going to be driving that around all day as an ESU piece, it would be a lot of truck. That's all.

It's no different then one FF on an engine or ladder and that's downright ridiculous. Or a department buying a 10 FF engine when they're lucky to put 4 guys on it for a call on a drill night.

What kind of jobs will it respond for? Again, a question, not bashing.

SRS131EMTFF and FirNaTine like this

I don't see steps. How do they get to the compartments on top?

It's not finished yet in the spy shots above. There will be a retractable "pool type" ladder to access the roof,