x635

Yonkers - 3rd Alarm 2-18-15

22 posts in this topic

Date: 2-18-15
Time: 16:30hrs
District: Yonkers
Weather: 26 degrees, clear
Units:
Yonkers FD 1st Alarm: Engine 303, Engine 307, Engine 309, Engine 310, Engine 312, Engine 313, Squad 11

Ladder 72, Ladder 73, Ladder 74, Tower Ladder 75, Rescue 1, Battalion 2, Battalion 1, Car 2 (IC),

Car 6-Fire Investigator, Mask Service Unit, Rehab Trailer

2nd Alarm: Engine 313, Ladder 74

3rd Alarm: Engine 308, Engine 304, Tower Ladder 71

Empress EMS

Yonkers OEM

Yonkers PD

New Rochelle FD Engine 22, Ladder 12, Car 2309 (Relocate Yonkers FD Station 12 Fortfield Ave)

Greenville FD Squad 15 (Relocate Yonkers Station 13 Kimball Ave)

Eastchester FD Ladder 15 (Relocate Yonkers Station 13 Kimball Ave)

Description: Heavy fire from the upper floors of a 3 story 30x50 wood frame occupied multiple dwelling

Updates:

16:40hrs Battalion 2 transmitting 2nd alarm.

16:47hrs Battalion 2 reporting going to master streams

17:05hrs Car 2 reporting resuming interior operations

17:57hrs Car 2 3rd Alarm requested, Engine 304 requested to bring additional water supply into scene

18:16hrs Locust Hill Command reporting main body of fire knocked down all hands still working

18:32hrs Locust Hill Command reporting fire darkening down, partial collapse of building, structural integrity in question

20:29hrs Locust Hill Command reports fire has been knocked down and overhauled. Units beginning to pick up hose.

Notes:
Some first due units were committed to other assignments when this job was initially dispatched, therefore skewing normal unit assignment order.

Writers: x635, PHIL78

Hit "LIKE" below if you liked this IA ---------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/

Edited by x635
Updated & added updates from PHIL78
PHIL78, bigrig77, WCFCX613 and 5 others like this

Just asking, not looking for trouble........If Yonkers is fully committed to an alarm and needs station coverage, I understand that New Rochelle may have 'extra' units to spare, but why wouldn't they call FDNY rather than

Greenville and Eastchester which have less 'extra' units.

Barry?

FirNaTine and dwcfireman like this

Just asking, not looking for trouble........If Yonkers is fully committed to an alarm and needs station coverage, I understand that New Rochelle may have 'extra' units to spare, but why wouldn't they call FDNY rather than

That's a very interesting question....I've thought about it myself. FDNY has plenty of extra units. Is it a WC vs. FDNY thing? Or is it a WC and nothing else kind of deal? Or is there some extenuating circumstance that FDNY only comes north of the border for certain calls?

E309,E312,E310,E307,L72,L75,RES1,BATT2.... E303 was at 334 Riverdale ave when alarm came in....

x635 likes this

E309,E312,E310,E307,L72,L75,RES1,BATT2.... E303 was at 334 Riverdale ave when alarm came in....

from the official ticket....

x635 likes this

Barry?

FDNY does not send a few units on Mutual aid. They send a 1st alarm assignment and they expect when they come to be put to work. I have never seen them come and cover.

This fire looked and was really bad, so I can understand why YFD needed the extra hands.Even the transit supervisors came out the redirect the beeline. The whole Westchester family came to the rescue so they didn't need the FDNY...

I think it is just a matter of a mutual aid agreement with the other surrounding municipalities and no mutual aid agreement with NYC, not 100% sure just a guess.

x635 and M' Ave like this

Probably and insurance thing as well. That alarm is a little far from Bronx/Yonkers border for a mutual aid assignment. Had the fire been either on Riverdale Ave or Broadway area just North of the City Line FDNY quick response to save lives might have been utilized. Great job all the way around!

yfd2012, AFS1970 and x635 like this

Isn't there something with equipment as well, like the way hydrants are threaded? or has that been corrected

M' Ave, yfd2012 and x635 like this

Yonkers thread is different from FDNY thread.

This is why FDNY engines are suppose to carry the yellow adapter to at least get a line connected.

x635 likes this

Yonkers thread is different from FDNY thread.

This is why FDNY engines are suppose to carry the yellow adapter to at least get a line connected.

It's only a couple of border Eng. Co's that carry this adapter.

There are other issues to consider, such as radio inter-operability.

Isn't there something with equipment as well, like the way hydrants are threaded? or has that been corrected

Eastchester, Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, Pelham and Pelham Manor all use FDNY 2 1/2" thread on hose and hydrants (not steamer connection.

x635 likes this

It's only a couple of border Eng. Co's that carry this adapter.

There are other issues to consider, such as radio inter-operability.

That's one of the reasons why the FDNY/Westchester Mutual aid drills have been using the UTAC frequencies

M' Ave likes this

I remember back when Suffolk County had a large brush fire and had many Nassau units relocated for coverage and work, FDNY relocated into Nassau County. Granted in that one they ended up moving up to Suffolk and working at the fire, but they did start out responding for mutual aid and not expecting to go to work.

Of course I heard stories of Boston rigs coming accross on a ferry, so that may be too strange an incident to use as an example.

Eastchester, Mt Vernon, New Rochelle, Pelham and Pelham Manor all use FDNY 2 1/2" thread on hose and hydrants (not steamer connection.

F.D.N.Y. Thread is 3.030 x 8 TPI

NYC (New York Corp Thread) is 3.00 x 8 TPI

**Threads Per Inch**

These threads because they are so close in size are constantly getting mixed up.

Eastchester, Mt. Vernon and Pelham Manor are listed as New York Corp

New Rochelle and Pelham are FDNY

In addition: You can put a FDNY Female on a NYC male coupling but you can not put a NYC Female on a FDNY male.

BE CAREFUL, this could create a bad situation on the fire ground.

Stay safe...

AFS1970 and M' Ave like this

Barry?

I don't believe that any fire departments have "extra" units. They may have "more" units but the politicians make sure nobody has extra anything!

M' Ave and dwcfireman like this

Is a first alarm in Yonkers really seven engines and four ladders?

A first alarm assignment in Yonkers is 4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Battalion Chief, and Rescue 1.

If a 10-30(All Hands) is transmitted, an additional Ladder is assigned as F.A.S.T., an additional Battalion Chief is assigned as the Safety Officer, and Squad 11 is assigned. If the second Battalion Chief is unavailable, an Engine can be special-called to the scene and the officer of that company can serve as the Safety Officer.

A second alarm assignment in Yonkers brings 2 additional Engines, 1 additional Ladder, and usually a Deputy Chief. Often the Mask Service Unit and the Rehab. Unit are brought to the scene by the second alarm.

Disaster_Guy, M' Ave and x635 like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0