Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FF402

Letter: 132 Years Of Volunteer Firefighting At Risk in Rye

12 posts in this topic

The City of Rye, NY has lost its volunteer fire department. Over 132 years of service were wiped out at the announcement by the new Public Safety Commissioner that the Volunteer Fire Chiefs would be relieved of all fire fighting command. The chiefs know how to manage a fire scene, they train with the firefighters, have knowledge from classes provided in firefighting by Westchester County and years of experience

FULL LETTER: http://www.myrye.com/my_weblog/2017/04/letter-132-years-of-volunteer-fire-service-at-risk-in-rye.html

EmsFirePolice and COH Bulldog like this

I agree with the unions letter but I kind of think it could have been worded differently. Instead of saying "if the volunteers show up", maybe say "if the volunteers are able to respond." The former just makes it sound like they don't even put in the effort. In this day and age it can at times just be impossible for a volly to respond no matter how bad they want to. 

EmsFirePolice and kj2557 like this

The days of "we been doing it like this for years now" are over. Tradiation now is about safety. Rye is doing the right thing. I served on the fire wardens in my old dept. It served no purpose. Attitude was, what's best for my company, not for the Department. It moved the department backwards. Safety can not be overlooked anymore. If you can't see that, maybe you shoukd rethink about being a volunteer

PCFD ENG58 and BIGRED1 like this

Fact: The new "chiefs" have not been approved

'According to John Castelhano, the president of the local firefighters’ union, the new fire chief doesn’t have all the necessary training necessary to lead the department. “My understanding is that you need more training or equal training to the general membership of the department; [Larr] is not even close,” he said.'

http://www.ryecityreview.com/lead-stories/fire-department-policy-changes-enacted-new-chiefs-installed/

BIGRED1 likes this

But he is the most popular guy in the fire house. Isn't that good enough to be Chief 

Edited by calhobs
BIGRED1 likes this

On 4/15/2017 at 6:27 AM, MiFF said:

I agree with the unions letter but I kind of think it could have been worded differently. Instead of saying "if the volunteers show up", maybe say "if the volunteers are able to respond." The former just makes it sound like they don't even put in the effort. In this day and age it can at times just be impossible for a volly to respond no matter how bad they want to. 

Effort and "wanting to" respond doesn't put out fires. The citizen isn't gonna say "Oh well, you had to work so it's ok that my husband died because it was 'impossible for the volly to respond'."  

The citizens DEMAND a service that responds in a quick and efficient matter EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Anything less is doing a disservice to the community.

Edited by newsbuff
BIGRED1 and calhobs like this