Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Yonkers Fire Department Exam Announcement

30 posts in this topic

The Yonkers Fire Department is hiring individuals ages 17 ½ to 29 years old for fire fighter jobs. Requirements: High School diploma or GED; Yonkers residents are given preference, however all Westchester residents may apply; applications must be submitted in person between April 2 – May 2, 2008.

Applications can be picked up from 1 Larkin Plaza from Monday – Thursday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, or Friday and Saturday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm or Sunday from 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm. The starting salary is $69,291.00.

http://www.cityofyonkers.com/Index.aspx?page=28

Just to clarify,Yonkers is not hiring,the current list is set to expire at some point next year.The test they are giving in June(by the time they give written and physical)will be out when the current list expires.They will then call on candidates as openings occur to a point when they can fill a class.

At time of appointment, a candidate must have obtained:

C) Two (2) years of satisfactory experience as a full-time paid firefighter or fire officer in a municipality other than Yonkers, or a comparable full-time paid position as a firefighter or fire officer in the United States Armed Forces, Coast Guard, or civilian employment with the United States Government, provided that the applicant has remained in good standing up to and including the date of termination; or

That is taken from the civil service web-site. Never heard of that before?

That is taken from the civil service web-site. Never heard of that before?

That just means it can substitute for A or B.

can you be from Putnam County and take it?

Yes.

Yes you can live in Putnam County, but there is no point.

So do you need college credits cause this A or B or C or combination of all thing is a little confusing

So do you need college credits cause this A or B or C or combination of all thing is a little confusing

You don't need College. Just a GED or high school. Thats the minimum.

That is an unreal amount of money for starting pay.

But, good though. Congrats to that Local for getting that compensation.

I wish we all were that fortunate.

You don't need College. Just a GED or high school. Thats the minimum.

And don't forget boys and girls if you don't have a High School Diploma or a GED, you can always apply to take the Vern's Test when it's given. Felons are also welcome. :blink:

I signed up for this test about a month ago. I hope i do well

I signed up for this test about a month ago. I hope i do well

I hope you do well too. However, if you don't live in Yonkers and meet their residency requirements (prior to the test?) - then you might as well forget about getting in. From my understanding when I last took their test, they go through ALL their residents on the list before going to non-residents.

I can understand credit for residency (as I believe FDNY does), eg an extra 5 points - but to go through all the residents, even if they get 1 before going to someone else with 100. Annoying to say the least :(

Yes this is true residents come 1st if you want the job you need to live in Yonkers I think for this test you would have had to be living in the city by March 15 2008

Edited by jd783

can you be from Putnam County and take it?

NO, you must be a Westchester resident to take the exam and (realistically) a Yonkers resident to be hired.

I hope you do well too. However, if you don't live in Yonkers and meet their residency requirements (prior to the test?) - then you might as well forget about getting in. From my understanding when I last took their test, they go through ALL their residents on the list before going to non-residents.

I can understand credit for residency (as I believe FDNY does), eg an extra 5 points - but to go through all the residents, even if they get 1 before going to someone else with 100. Annoying to say the least :(

Passing score is 70 not 1. I believe if a municipality makes the decision to use a resident list they must completely exhaust it before going to the non resident list. As a side note, they usually hire no more than 70 members within the duration of the list, so to even have a shot you must be a resident with a combined score somewhere in the 90's. Hope this helps...Good luck candidates.

why do you have to live in Westchester, and espically in Yonkers. thats not really fare

Passing score is 70 not 1. I believe if a municipality makes the decision to use a resident list they must completely exhaust it before going to the non resident list. As a side note, they usually hire no more than 70 members within the duration of the list, so to even have a shot you must be a resident with a combined score somewhere in the 90's. Hope this helps...Good luck candidates.

Thanks for setting me straight. As you say, to get hired you need to live in the city - then of course you can move out :) It also helps to be telepathic, because I think you need to be resident prior, or at the point of the announcement (hence the March 15th someone mentioned). This is very similar to White Plains, and probably Mt Vernon and New Rochelle. Fair - probably not, but that's the civil service :):(

Thanks for setting me straight. As you say, to get hired you need to live in the city - then of course you can move out :) It also helps to be telepathic, because I think you need to be resident prior, or at the point of the announcement (hence the March 15th someone mentioned). This is very similar to White Plains, and probably Mt Vernon and New Rochelle. Fair - probably not, but that's the civil service :):(

Not trying to set you straight. Just trying to clarify thats all. You are correct you must be a resident 3 months prior. There is also an age restriction on this test. The system is not perfect, but compared to some its not bad.

What is the pay range?

Starting at $69,291.00 to...?

What is the pay range?

Starting at $69,291.00 to...?

Starting pay is $67, 291, not $69, 291......

....and we like to keep the range to ourselves.....no offense...

....and we like to keep the range to ourselves.....no offense...

If the taxpayers pay your salary, why is it such a secret? I know where I used to work, it was a closely guarded secret becuase they feared the taxpayers may find out what a "good gig" they had and revolt....however I understand that if the numbers are really publicized, then that opens politican's eyes to "cuts".

why do you have to live in Westchester, and espically in Yonkers. thats not really fare

It's perfectly fair....although it limits the amount, and sometimes, the caliber of canidates they have to choose from, people who grew up and live in that City should have the first right at jobs in their hometown.

the applications can be picked up at 1 Larkin Center. This is the library building, not the motor vehicles

If the taxpayers pay your salary, why is it such a secret? I know where I used to work, it was a closely guarded secret becuase they feared the taxpayers may find out what a "good gig" they had and revolt....however I understand that if the numbers are really publicized, then that opens politican's eyes to "cuts".

It's perfectly fair....although it limits the amount, and sometimes, the caliber of canidates they have to choose from, people who grew up and live in that City should have the first right at jobs in their hometown.

It's not a secret Seth, and I'll guess that more than half the people on this site DON'T pay my salary, it's just not something I'm going to post for all to see.

What salary we get after starting pay is what my Union negotiates for me and my fellow YFD members and it's our business.

If John Q taxpayer wants to know what it is, and he's a Yonkers taxpayer, let him go to City Hall and ask. This isn't the place...

When a certain someone was a firefighter, I don't remember seeing his former Dept's salary posted for all to see, except that one time he posted his Chief's salary...

and that was wrong and I told him so in a PM...

I contribute to my doctor and lawyer's salaries every time I visit them but I don't ask them how much they make a year. It's out of respect, and I bet they make more than me...

As far as residency is concerned, absolutely resident's get first preference. If you want to work in Yonkers bad enough, move there and establish a residence.

That's exactly what I did when I left my first Dept. I bought a Co-op on Midland Ave., took the test the next year and got on.

Just understand that the YPD does investigate fully to see if you really live where you say you do. And they do investigate. We didn't take someone for our last

class because they didn't live in Yonkers and there are plenty of men from the past that got threatened with arrest for lying about their residency and weren't hired.

It's not a secret Seth, and I'll guess that more than half the people on this site DON'T pay my salary, it's just not something I'm going to post for all to see.

What salary we get after starting pay is what my Union negotiates for me and my fellow YFD members and it's our business.

If John Q taxpayer wants to know what it is, and he's a Yonkers taxpayer, let him go to City Hall and ask. This isn't the place...

When a certain someone was a firefighter, I don't remember seeing his former Dept's salary posted for all to see, except that one time he posted his Chief's salary...

and that was wrong and I told him so in a PM...

I contribute to my doctor and lawyer's salaries every time I visit them but I don't ask them how much they make a year. It's out of respect, and I bet they make more than me...

As far as residency is concerned, absolutely resident's get first preference. If you want to work in Yonkers bad enough, move there and establish a residence.

That's exactly what I did when I left my first Dept. I bought a Co-op on Midland Ave., took the test the next year and got on.

Just understand that the YPD does investigate fully to see if you really live where you say you do. And they do investigate. We didn't take someone for our last

class because they didn't live in Yonkers and there are plenty of men from the past that got threatened with arrest for lying about their residency and weren't hired.

They got threatened really? Was there any further action taken? Sorry to drag this off topic but I am curious.

Of course the salary is public infomation and obviously YFD910 dosen't have to say if he does not want to. And I respect his decision not to reveal it. It's not like it's hard to find out what the schedule is if I (or anyone else) really wants to know.

Edited by 23piraf

Sady, and once again, it seems like people are starting to take things way too personally on these forums.

Edited by emt301

It has nothing to do with taking it personally.It has to do with a certain individual on this site that has a habit of taking any information gained on this forum, and using it against the YFD,( and some of its members),in another forum.Did i mention the word spy?The problem with this other forum is he spews to people not familiar with the inner workings of the fire service and thus creates false impressions.While i am sure this person would have no problem tracking such (vital) info such as pay scales,(which would only be used against us),I do believe the members of the YFD that visit this forum (emt bravo) would rather not hand feed this person.

Lets keep the thread on topic please and not make this a #@$% match.

It's no secret that Yonkers FD has the best negotiated contract on the east coast and leave it at that.

I'm just making a statement before this goes really south.

Good luck to all of those who apply.

I think every municipality should be looking to hire the best caliber person for such an occupation as important and hazardous as ours, and not some shlep because he lives in town. Who cares where one lives. Most guys move out of the municipality they work in anyway. Hire those with the best scores and who have an interest in the job, whether they live there or not. Give the residents an extra 3-5pts. but have one list. I'd rather work with a competent and dedicated nonresident who loves his job, then an incompetent and lazy resident who could care less about his profession and co-workers. Just my 2 cents.