Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
americanpolice

New NYS License Plates

28 posts in this topic

I believe these plates are a throwback to 70's NYS license plates. While the color of my license plate doesn't keep me up at night, I know this is another way for NY to make some money.

I think they look horrible. I wish I could keep the white ones.

Apparently, NY is redesigning their license plates again. I actually think it looks sharp, like the old NYSP car colors. However, may be a little too much contrast for some cars!

Here in Texas, they just redesigned our plates, too....came out really nice.

(Press photo)

post-11-12584231697.jpg

Apparently, NY is redesigning their license plates again. I actually think it looks sharp, like the old NYSP car colors. However, may be a little too much contrast for some cars!

Here in Texas, they just redesigned our plates, too....came out really nice.

(Press photo)

post-11-12584231697.jpg

Maybe not, all the sudden Gov Patterson is 'rethinking' the plan. Concidering the only reason for new plates was to provide the state with additional revenue it's a good thing he is rethinking it.

U G L Y all I can say. Thank god they repealed the plan to require AND charge for new ones.

Maybe not, all the sudden Gov Patterson is 'rethinking' the plan. Concidering the only reason for new plates was to provide the state with additional revenue it's a good thing he is rethinking it.

Correct me if im wrong, but i'm not sure hes actually rethinking it. From what i saw last night it seemed as if he felt that if our esteemed lawmakers in Albany can close the budget gap and come up with the money in another fashion he will scrap the plan. If not, we will all be shelling out 25 green backs for the tin.

Guess again we are getting the plates. <_< Personal I think they are UGLY and will look like crap agains the colors of my vehicles.

From Poughkeepsie Journal

"ALBANY — While state leaders say they will work to repeal a new fee on license-plate purchases, there are no immediate plans to drop the production of new plates scheduled to be issued in April, a spokesman for Gov. David Paterson said Monday."

PoJo news Article

Governor backs off new license plate plan

November 15, 2009

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The rallying cry of "no new plates" has apparently reached the ears of New York’s top elected officials.

Gov. David Paterson said on Sunday that he would drop support of a plan to require vehicle owners to pay for new license plates if state legislators work with him to find other ways to generate revenue.

The license plate plan announced last week had been expected to raise $129 by requiring vehicle owners to pay $25 to buy new plates starting next year.

The idea was immediately met with scorn by New Yorkers across the state.

Thousands signed an online petition at http://www.nonewplates.com to protest the plan.

Democratic and Republican leaders of the Assembly say they will work to repeal the measure passed in April.

Many media reports say many things. I think it's gonna be a squash!

They are soooo very ugly...Like the ones back in the '50's...many, many moons ago LOL.

The new plates are coming and they will cost more than in years past. What is at issue is if we will be mandated to replace our old plates with the new ones starting in April. Assuming the budget hole gets filled as you request new plates you will be getting the new design. I know with classic cars if you can find a real NYS plate from the same production year you can register the car with those old plates. I don't know if it would work with newer cars.

The only thing those plates are going to look good on are State Police cruisers.

Forcing people to buy plates at a higher rate to raise state revenue? That's low, even for a politician. I hope you guys ditch this moron soon. I just hope we don't get one that dumb when Governor Rell leaves.

Edited by SageVigiles

One article I read said if you wanted to keep the same tag number you will have to pay an additional $20

I have no problem with the new plates or paying the $25, all it is, is instead of going out one night, I will stay in. The $25 shouldn't be too bad. Though I do understand the economic crisis

$25 per car, I have 5 cars to do that's $125. Plus the added fee for the MTA. I just added a car and got new plates. They tack on $50 for the MTA. You'll have to pay that on renewals too. So it's going to be $75 per car. So MJP you'll be staying in for a month.

I have no problem with the new plates or paying the $25, all it is, is instead of going out one night, I will stay in. The $25 shouldn't be too bad. Though I do understand the economic crisis

I have a big problem with the concept because the very same people who got us into this economic crisis now want to take more from the allready overtaxed people. Vote them all out!!!!

it's simple to vote them all out, but will it work? It seems like it is all talk and not a lot of action recently? But that's just my two cents.

I hadn't known that they will add a MTA tax to the $25 plates. It is now $75 but it is also probably for 10 years or so. as I looked back at era's of the plates and on average the plate ran for 7-10 years. So your paying a one time $75 to keep a car on the road through license plates for 7-10 years.

Edited by MJP399

What, no one is going to do... "I like golddddd" joke...

I think this is a sad and excues the pun's "ugly" way for the state to make money...

One of Paterson's rationales to why the current plates need to be replaced is that they fade over time. That is a crock! Not even the first issues of the current plate are fading. I do not like him or his ideas because he is not telling the truth and using lies to try to justify his hidden tax. There is no reason for a new plate issue. I do not care if they were $5 or $25, I do not wish to contribute 1 red penny to this out of control NYS Government. If they re-issue the plates, what is next? And after we all pay for a new issue and they stop making money, they will just do another re-issue, the madness will (and won't ) ever stop. Now, if they want to collect a fee for new plates, then put the money back into Emergency Services, then I wil have no issues. But to use it to pay off other debt and to pay bills they can not because of decades of mismanagement and lack of savings, my answer is no way.

One article I read said if you wanted to keep the same tag number you will have to pay an additional $20

Correct, unless the budget gap is filled.

How is it going to work for vanity plates?

You will have to request new plates and pay all the associated fees

it's simple to vote them all out, but will it work? It seems like it is all talk and not a lot of action recently? But that's just my two cents.

I hadn't known that they will add a MTA tax to the $25 plates. It is now $75 but it is also probably for 10 years or so. as I looked back at era's of the plates and on average the plate ran for 7-10 years. So your paying a one time $75 to keep a car on the road through license plates for 7-10 years.

Its not unusual to issue new plates, however to force everyone to convert is. In years past they would replace old tags as people got new ones. This time they're attempting to force everyone to get new plates when they renew or register over the next 2 years.

If any of you go hunting...you know that the hunting licenses have gone up as well. To raise revenue. Senior citizen licenses are now for ages 70 and older. A senior is not a senior unless they are 70 years old to go hunting in NY. All of the hunting requirements, prices have changed as well.

Are there a lot of seniors age 70 who go hunting?

I think this license plate thingy is still being thought about. Anybody for getting a bicycle? OMG :blink:

Paying $20 to keep your same plate number, and getting new ones upon the renewal of the registration is EXACTLY the same situation that was in place when the current design debuted in 2001.

I just wonder what the new number/letter combos will be. Will they come up with something new, or just continue the existing pattern, picking up wherever the production of the last white plates left off?

It's my understanding that the price to renew vanity plates was already increased significantly not too long ago... and I'm sure the governor could care less what color the plates will be, or that the current plates are fading... he wouldn't know since he CAN'T SEE THEM ANYWAY.... He's blind, remember?

Edited by EFFP411

If you liked the license plate issue, wait until you get your renewal notice for your registrations. They want $46 for the renewal for my 5' by 8' landscape trailer for one year. Last year was about $16.

Sounds like a moot point after what Sheldon Silver has said.... The plates are definitely ugly, but to use this as way way to close the budget gap is compltely wrong...As for the vanity plates, apparently that is to be determind at a later time.

Edited by SgtGumby311