Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turk182

RIP Rye Firefighter Bruce Kerr (Online Condolence Card)

45 posts in this topic

Please sign/post and this thread will be passed along to the family and Rye FD.......brother of active EMTBravo member capt36

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Bruce T. Kerr, 59, passed away today at the

home of his sister Ann after a short but brave

battle with cancer.

Bruce was born April 7th, 1951, and grew up

in Yonkers, NY. He was hired as a firefighter

with the City of Rye Fire Department on

August 13, 1985. In May of 1986 he

graduated from the first class of the Career

Fire Academy to be held at the Westchester

County Fire Training Center. Throughout his

career he continued to advance himself

professionally in order to better serve the

people and community of Rye. He earned an

Associates in Fire Science from Corning

Community College and obtained EMT

Certification. He also served the Westchester

County community by becoming a state

instructor as well as a member of the

Westchester County Cause and Origin Team.

He was also an active union member, serving

as the secretary of Local 2029 as well as the

Vice President of the 5th district of the New

York State Professional Fire Fighters

Association.

Bruce is survived by three daughters, Jennifer, Megan and Nicole.

Funeral arrangements are pending at this time and will be passed on as they are made

available.

Tentative arrangements are for the wake to be held at the Lincoln Park Funeral Home on McClean Ave. Yonkers on Wednesday July 7th 2010 and a funeral mass at St. Casimir's Church on Nepperhan Ave. Yonkers N.Y. on Thursday July 8th, 2010. Final arrangements will be posted as they become available. I thank you on behalf of his sisters, brothers and daughters.

Robert D. Kerr

Rob

Pleases accespt our sincere condolances from Eileen and I.Bruce was a charming--whitty--knowledgble firefighter and individual. I remember him well at State conventions that he was a voice of reason when other were yelling and loseing thier cool.

Bruce will be missed both personally and professionaly

Walter Ferguson

Fire Captain 32 GFD

Sincerest condolences to Capt. Kerr and all of Bruce's family and to the members of Local 2029, on behalf of Rye's volunteers... Bruce was a wealth of knowledge and I personally had the honor of learning from him both on scene and at the training center over the past several years. R.I.P.

Rob,

I'm so sorry to hear the news. What a great guy...

Wow. I am shocked to be reading this. Bruce taught at our Probie Class (05-03) and I remember him teaching us how to operate the aerial on Ladder 25. Great guy, thoughts prayers and condolences are with his Rob, his family friends and brothers at Rye FD.

Bruce was active on this forum, as well as his brother Rob (capt36), so if you have memories or condolences to share with Rob please post....

To Captain Kerr, the Kerr family, and the guys of Local 2029.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during these difficult times.

I will remember Bruces devotion to the job and of course his great sense of humor having served with him on the 5th Dist. convention entertainment committee back in the early 90's.

Paul Nethercott

Local 1971

Bruce will truly be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time. Rest in Peace brother.

Bruce was a great guy. May he rest in peace.

I had Bruce as an instructor in probie school....He was a great man...May he rest in peace...

My wife and I offer our heartfelt condolences to the Kerr family. May God comfort you and guide you through your sorrow, and may you be left with nothing but fond memories of Bruce. His smile, his laugh, and his friendship were contagious. He was a good friend since Probie School and, though he has passed from this earth and has gone to the Father, he will not be forgotten. God bless!

Anne & Henry Campbell

RIP Bruce Our Sympathy & condolences to the family.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the Kerr family on the passing of Bruce. Always had good conversations with him and I am sure he will be missed by all.RIP!!!

Rob

Please accept my condolences, Bruce was a good firefighter and instructor. Always took his time to explain things to the younger guys. He will be missed by all who knew him,

Whew, this is tough. Bruce and I were in the same probie class, along with others in this forum. Chief Campbell was starting something new in '86; combining all the career depts (except Yonkers) into one probie school. We had New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, Eastchster, Rye, Arlington, Harrison, Larchmont..., all together for the first time. Now, it's SOP and Westchester Career firefighters are all trained to the same standard. But it was a new concept in '86, and Bruce was a part of that.

He was older than most in the class, and he assumed a natural leadership role, with his easy-going and friendly style. I loved him, we all did.

Then, the parades with the Emeral Society, the conventions, the protest in Rye Brook when Bruce was 5th District VP. We had a lot of fun, and a Bruce did a lot of hard work on behalf of brother/sister firefighters. Bruce was a leader, and had the heart of a true fireman.

I hadn't been in contact with him since I moved, and to read this news is heartbreaking.

To his brother, Captain Kerr and all the family, I offer my heartfelt sympathy.

Rest in Peace BROTHER KERR. You shall not be forgotten.

Captain George Glover (ret)

Eastchester Fire Department

We are sorry for your loss. RIP

RIP Bruce, you will be missed

Bruce was a great guy, met him through his middle daughter, who is now a member of lake carmel fd, Bruce was a great guy and will be missed

Thoughts and Prayers to the Kerr and Rye FD families

RIP BROTHER

Rest in Peace Bruce, it was a joy to know you.

Rob, my condolences to you and your entire family. Bruce was a gentleman and a pleasure to be around.

Prayers and condolences to the family of Firefighter and hero, Bruce Kerr...;

Rob, my condolences to you and your entire family. Bruce was a gentleman and a pleasure to be around.

Thanks John, it means a lot to my brothers and sisters and espeially me. God bless and stay safe.

To Rob, The Kerr family and the brothers of Rye our deepest sympathy's during this sad time. I had the pleasure of knowing and working with Bruce on numerous occasions. He will be missed by many.

Rob, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Bruce. I will miss him and his incredible passion for the fire service. He was a dedicated Firefighter and Training Instructor. His loss will leave a huge void, both to the fire service and in so many people's hearts, especially mine. He always went out of his way to warmly greet me any time we would meet. Loved to jaw with him about the Mets & Yankees. I will miss his happy greeting "HEY TESSIE!" at all the fire service functions, parades & events. My deepest condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. He is a member of "God's Honor Guard" now.

Bob,

My condolences to you and your entire family. The true testament to an individual is how he is remembered; and as you know best, oh the stories we could tell.

Griff