firedude likes this

State: New York

County: Westchester

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: Village of Mamaroneck Fire Department

Unit designation/identifier: Ladder

Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: Spartan/Smeal

Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length: Unknown

Estimated delivery: Early 2011

From the Village of Mamaroneck Board of Trustees Meeting 10/12/10 this will be a 100' LowProfile Tower Ladder. The bid was accepted at this meeting for NorthEast Fire Equipment to furnish this apparatus.

Also, according to the latest Westchester County Apparatus Plate Assignment list, the Village of Mamaroneck has Tower Ladder 20 reserved.

FDNY 10-75 and firedude like this

Does anybody know of an estimated delivery date? Any PE Drawings?

Village of Mamaroneck has Tower Ladder 20 reserved.

Is this correct? I think the current truck is Lad. 20. Would they really have Lad. 20 and TL. 20? This numbering system is silly. A truck co. is a truck co.

Okay, now a personal note:

The subject of consolidation has come up a great deal and the approval of this purchase highlights the importance of consolidation even more. Can the VMFD put a tower ladder to use? Of course they can! Ideally, every community should have both. A lot of community's could have both if their fire department covered several municipalities. There is a Tower Ladder down the road in Harrison, seconds away. There is also a Tower ladder in Larchmont.

The Village has several Multiple Dwellings, along with some commercial and light industry. The Tower Ladder is a key tool, but the Dollar-to-Response ratio would be much better if apparatus served a greater area.

Edited by M' Ave
KFIYL2000 likes this

Is this correct? I think the current truck is Lad. 20. Would they really have Lad. 20 and TL. 20? This numbering system is silly. A truck co. is a truck co.

Okay, now a personal note:

The subject of consolidation has come up a great deal and the approval of this purchase highlights the importance of consolidation even more. Can the VMFD put a tower ladder to use? Of course they can! Ideally, every community should have both. A lot of community's could have both if their fire department covered several municipalities. There is a Tower Ladder down the road in Harrison, seconds away. There is also a Tower ladder in Larchmont.

The Village has several Multiple Dwellings, along with some commercial and light industry. The Tower Ladder is a key tool, but the Dollar-to-Response ratio would be much better if apparatus served a greater area.

Ding ding ding! Maybe the sound shore region wants to compete with Mount Pleasant as the tower ladder capital of the world!

If Rye needs Tower Ladders they are just a phone call away - surrounded by them now.

Edited by Lucky-Truckie

Im sure they won't use TL20, and L-20.. They would most likey use L-21 (the current L-20) , and use the TL-20

That was my first thought too when I saw this. However, per the Westchester Fire Apparatus site, the tiller has been re-designated Ladder 21 as of this year, which I guess would make room for the new Tower ladder 20.

If Rye needs Tower Ladders they are just a phone call away - surrounded by them now.

Yup! Port Chester (TL2), Harrison (TL24), Purchase (TL53), Village of Mamaroneck (TL20), Larchmont (TL7), Greenwich (TL1), West Harrison (TL9), New Rochelle (TL11). All are within 10 miles of Rye. So, I think Rye is well covered.

Edited by firedude

Yup! Port Chester (TL2), Harrison (TL24), Purchase (TL53), Village of Mamaroneck (TL20), Larchmont (TL7), Greenwich (TL1), West Harrison (TL9), New Rochelle (TL11). All are within 10 miles of Rye. So, I think Rye is well covered.

Dont forget the south sound shore T/L Pelham Manor TL-3

In agreement with everyone else, the Sound Shore is pretty much covered in the way of tower ladders, but I guess Mamaroneck figures that it should join the party. However, with the type of village it is, with it's types of construction and all(much like Port Chester), I guess Mamaroneck figured a Tower Ladder would be a good asset to have. I'm guessing it will be stationed at HQ, along with the tiller?

I was told the other day that the truck is going this week or next week to New England Fire equipment in North Haven, Ct. Its not long from there.

I wonder if it will make an appearance at the New England Fire Chiefs in Springfield? I'll see if I can get a spy shot of the rig if I'm around NEFEA.

You may see it in their parade in two weeks

Edited by jjpinto

I can't wait!

I'm with you on this, I can't wait to see it!

Thanks for the pics Bnechis! It looks like a very nice rig. Good luck VMFD with the new TL20.

So wait no more

post-4072-0-41995400-1308354145.jpg

post-4072-0-39501700-1308354172.jpg

post-4072-0-65715100-1308354210.jpg

post-4072-0-17121100-1308354236.jpg

And there it is! Very, very nice!

Wow....looks great. When is delivery due and when is it expected to go into service?

So wait no more

post-4072-0-41995400-1308354145.jpg

post-4072-0-39501700-1308354172.jpg

post-4072-0-65715100-1308354210.jpg

post-4072-0-17121100-1308354236.jpg

ugliest rig to ever be in VMFD, shouldve ordered some type of rearmount.

I hope it makes and appearance at the parade on wednesday

So what if it isn't pretty, its a fire truck, not a parade piece.

Also a rear moutn tower or ladder is not the answer for every department. A mid-mount tower has a lot of advantages, as well as disadvantages, just as rearmounts do. Obviously the apparatus committee chose this style because it fit the needs thier department after careful planning.

I saw this truck in person atthe NEFCS, and it looks as nice up close as it does in the pics!

Functionality over Aesthetics... if it looks like a train wreck, acts like the champion of the world strongest man competition, and assists the firemen in successfully rescuing people out of a 6th story window, I'd say its done it's job. But if it wins 30 trophys, is OOS for 1/2 its life and operates like a drunk/stoned cripple, that to me is an ugly rig.

x129K and abaduck like this

Does anybody know if this truck is in service yet?