Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndyC3J

New FDNY Rescue 5

58 posts in this topic

The first of the five new Ferrara rescues being constructed for FDNY is finished and will be assigned to Rescue 5. Here are a few photos of it on display at the Long Island Fire, Rescue & EMS Mega Show, which is going on this weekend at Nassau Coliseum. My apologies for the "cluttered" and blurry shots. Was very difficult to get a good shot with all the people around, and a "point and shoot" job doesn't always get along with sub-par lighting situations. But, until the rig is delivered and the "experts" get access to it, these will have to do.

post-2788-0-10039200-1298785408.jpg

post-2788-0-80628400-1298785425.jpg

post-2788-0-64909800-1298785449.jpg

With the budget crisis going on, are they still going for extra money for these polished wheels, or maybe they are just on the rig for the show....?

Awesome looking rig! Good luck with it to the brothers of Res5cue! I can't wait to see some shots of it in action!

When the construction process started, the rig had painted steel wheels on it. They switched them somewhere along the way. What is the price difference between the two? So few FDNY companies whose rigs have Alcoas now keep them clean and shiny, which is understandable given how busy they are. On that note, I can't imagine why they'd go out of their way to spec them unless it was issues with weight or something.

With the budget crisis going on, are they still going for extra money for these polished wheels, or maybe they are just on the rig for the show....?

Hey Capt Rescue 5... Shouldn't that say Eastchester on the side...wishfull thining!! lol ! :P

efdcapt115 likes this

Hey Capt Rescue 5... Shouldn't that say Eastchester on the side...wishfull thining!! lol ! :P

Sssshhh...it really is EFD's Rescue 5 making a comeback. At the last minute they're going to switch out the door decals. But at the apparatus show, who's going to bother looking at a new Rescue if it says Eastchester on the doors?

Here's how the conversation would go..

FF1 (name is Chester): "Woo wee...that sure is a pretty Rescue Vinny..."

FF2 (name is Vinny): "Chester, Eastchester..Where the hell is that?"

FF1: "It's up in Westchester."

FF2: "Run that by me one more time Chester..."

FF1: "It's only a few miles south of Port Chester.."

FF2: "And that's in Westchester Chester?"

FF1: "Yes. Port Chester and Eastchester are in Westchester."

FF2: "Where is the beer concession Chester?"

FF1: "THIRD BASE!"

:)

CFFD117, FD828, sfrd18 and 3 others like this

Acutally, aluminum wheels have benefits besides appearances. That's why you see them on city transit buses. They dissipate heat from braking better, and resist corrosion. Are very tolerating of punishing conditions. Amongst other things.Also, they usually put them on in the last steps, as they don't want them to get damaged during construction.

Thanks Andy for the shots! I know another one is scheduled to appear at FDIC in April.

FDNY 10-75 and efdcapt115 like this

Acutally, aluminum wheels have benefits besides appearances. That's why you see them on city transit buses. They dissipate heat from braking better, and resist corrosion. Are very tolerating of punishing conditions. Amongst other things.Also, they usually put them on in the last steps, as they don't want them to get damaged during construction.

Thanks Andy for the shots! I know another one is scheduled to appear at FDIC in April.

You're right, I was thinking only about cost, but the way you put it, buying the aluminum wheels might actually be cost effective. Thank you.

in the picture of the rear of the rescue, the compartment above the " 5 " , what is in there and what is it for ??? is it a samll compartment or long ?

great looking over all...

in the picture of the rear of the rescue, the compartment above the " 5 " , what is in there and what is it for ??? is it a samll compartment or long ?

300' electrical reels (small compartment)

efdcapt115 and x635 like this

thanks, if anyone has pictures of the compartment layouts, I ( we ) would love to see them...

Nope! Not for show....well, actually they are, but not for that show. The 5 Rescues have the cast aluminum wheels, but all other rigs recently delivered and on order have red painted steel wheels. Those S.O.C. guys get all the toys! ;)

You point out some good attributes of aluminum wheels. Heat dissipation should never be much of an issue in NYC. If it is, you're just going too fast! DSNY, MTA Bus and FDNY all use steel wheels. There are some exceptions, but thats what they are, exceptions. Steal does dominate our collective fleet. I'm sure those rims are very cheap to replace and they do get replaced a lot. They get bent hitting curbs and potholes all the time. While alumimun won't bend the way the steel wheels will, they do crack and chip. All in all, over a 10 year front line lifespan, the cost probably isn't worth it. They do look nice, but I'm partial to the painted steel. It's meaner. :P

Can't bend an aluminum rim hitting a pothole.

No, but you sure can crack it.

Edited by M' Ave

are the rear blue warning lights..... actually blue? or amber? with a blue lens...?

Yes, the lights are blue and they make the rig able to carry more equipment and help the firemen on-board to be better at their jobs.

Cool !

It would look better with Ghost Lettering

It would look better with Ghost Lettering

LOL ... And how does F.D.N.Y. get the job done without ROTO-RAYS ???

I too saw the truck in person at the show, very nice! Surprised with how much compartment space it had, thought the slots for the locks on the doors were funny :lol::unsure:

Nice rescue, thanks for the pics.

I do know when I went to the prebuild on our engine we had steel wheels in the specs but we changed them to aluminum because at the time we were able to save a few hundred dollars doing so because the price of steel was up.

I too saw the truck in person at the show, very nice! Surprised with how much compartment space it had, thought the slots for the locks on the doors were funny :lol::unsure:

Believe it or not, all our rigs come with those. Often times, especially with later arriving units like Rescue, the rigs are left farther from the scene without anyone around to keep an eye out. I think Rescue does lock at least some of their cabinets. Someone from one of the 5 would have to answer that though.

Edited by M' Ave

LOL ... And how does F.D.N.Y. get the job done without ROTO-RAYS ???

I know what to get you for Christmas finally.... :D

Sssshhh...it really is EFD's Rescue 5 making a comeback. At the last minute they're going to switch out the door decals. But at the apparatus show, who's going to bother looking at a new Rescue if it says Eastchester on the doors?

Here's how the conversation would go..

FF1 (name is Chester): "Woo wee...that sure is a pretty Rescue Vinny..."

FF2 (name is Vinny): "Chester, Eastchester..Where the hell is that?"

FF1: "It's up in Westchester."

FF2: "Run that by me one more time Chester..."

FF1: "It's only a few miles south of Port Chester.."

Curious... does FF2 "Vinny" make this conversation with a medium sized DD coffee in his hand? lmao!

FF2: "And that's in Westchester Chester?"

FF1: "Yes. Port Chester and Eastchester are in Westchester."

FF2: "Where is the beer concession Chester?"

FF1: "THIRD BASE!"

:)

Here are some pictures of FDNY R5 taken Sunday at the LI Fire Expo

post-27-0-02936700-1298936469.jpg

Front of R5.

post-27-0-46310100-1298936514.jpg

Rear of R5.

post-27-0-79093300-1298936652.jpg

Looking inside the rear box. Note the red reflective striping around the rear perimeter.

post-27-0-39505000-1298936705.jpg

Side Company Emblem.

post-27-0-23859300-1298936747.jpg

View of the top of the rig.

post-27-0-35539300-1298937533.jpg

An "antenna bar" with eight antennas attached to the front of the rear box.

post-27-0-01030300-1298936791.jpg

Very sturdy grab rails along both sides. This rig appears to be built of heavy duty materials. The white speaker on the left is the intercom to the front cab.

post-27-0-90458400-1298936878.jpg

AirPak Brackets and seating in the rear box.

post-27-0-58005000-1298936926.jpg

View of the front inside of the rear box.

post-27-0-26743600-1298936970.jpg

Radios at the front of the rear box. There is a sliding window just above this on the front of the box.

post-27-0-58674900-1298937028.jpg

Netting for compartments with roll up doors also.

post-27-0-57589800-1298937075.jpg

Rear wall of the front cab.

post-27-0-82300000-1298937256.jpg

Front console with two radios and door ajar indicators. To the rigth of these radios is another scanner.

post-27-0-27156800-1298937295.jpg

View of the dashboard.

FF398, sfrd18, JetPhoto and 2 others like this

Love the interior shots! Does this truck have any preconnected hydraulic tools?

nice pic's andy thanks for sharing

One question: 2 roof mounted aluminum ladders but I do not see access to retrieve them. Is it through an interior hatch?