Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

Non standard chief's vehicles?

21 posts in this topic

All,

Does anyone have any experience out there with "non standard" chief's cars? I'd call a standard type of chief's vehicle a Tahoe or Expedition or a Durango.

Anyone see "smaller" vehicles that are currently manufactured? Im not talking about 2001 Cherokees that arent in production anymore. Im asking about vehicles that are currently in production (on dealer lots or availible via state bid) Any problems or faults with Ford Escape/Jeep Liberty/etc?

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by 38ff

I can't say that I have experience with any smaller vehicles like you've mentioned. The only smaller one that isn't too uncommon around here is the recycled police crown vic. Also, I know White Plains has a few smaller jeeps, but I don't know what they are used for.

i can tell you from my experience that I have seen and even used smaller blazer and even jeep type vehicles as paramedic fly cars. This was years ago so I hope the quality has improved. I used a jeep ckerokee in trumbull, ct as unit 905 and at both Westchester Ambulance and Danbury I used Chevy Blazers. They did not hold up very well at all as well as being very uncomfortable for a guy my size. I think if I remember when I was working for CMTI (cough, cough - did I say that-lol. There were alot of good people there tho) they had a chevy suburban for a flycar. I used to see them all the time at the garage in Yonkers, but I think they were used in Kingston. Vems in the valley here in CT used to use suburbans too if memory serves correct and they handled and for the most part handled well. CMTI also had a few taurus supervisor cars which were a joke. Having one of those as an emergency vehicle back in the day made about as much sense as some of the PD's here in CT using K-Cars for patrol (yes they did). Based on my experiences with smaller vehicles in emergency use. overall, the smaller vehicles did not hold up well at all. What is needed if you are going to use these vehicles in emergency services is a good heavey duty vehicle: crown vic, Tahoe, Expedition, suburban, etc. if you're not going to spring for a police or special duty package at least get a towing package so you have a slightly better suspension. Like I said these are just my experiences as well as my opinion. I know Westchester EMS was using a tahoe when I was working there in 2001 that they had alot or issues with, but I think that was just that truck. I know they used a dodge ram sport as a supervisor flycar and that worked out ok too. They mostly used Ford epeditions and I believe they are using those now as well with little problems. Maybe WAS967 can shed some light. Not sure what Greenburgh is using. I know Sleepy Hollow uses a Tahoe also for a BLS flycar. Good luck hope you find what you need.

Joe

Im just doing the right thing by doing research on an idea that was kicked around. Good, bad or indiffeent, all ideas/opinions are welcome.

Not really 'smaller' - but under the heading of different - several departments in the area of Skokie IL use high and low top full size vans - they are generally set up with a comms desk and/or command post inside and out of the weather (as opposed to under the open hatch of an SUV).

Oh - I should note that these are full time career departments and the vans are the on-duty Battallion vehicle

Edited by wcr20

The New Ford Flex, Escape and Explorer are smaller. Maybe worth consideration?

I know an EMS Chief who has a Ford Escape. I have not heard of any problems with it. It seems to be the perfect size for an EMS vehicle.

We had the smaller S10 Blazer as a flycar at Sloper. The problem with that vehicle was that the aftermarket stuff that was put in to hold the ALS gear took away from the driver's compartment of the vehicle. We had to move the truck when larger medics were working because they couldn't fit behind the wheel.

Im an EMT with my college EMS squad. we ran a S10 until 2 weeks ago. we got a ford escape hybrid from our university police department. It sucks as a fly car. Because of the location of the battery we can't put a divider in the back and due to the small size of the trunk we can't put our backboards in and theyre folding ones. As a chiefs car i wouldn't suggest something that small.

The New Ford Flex, Escape and Explorer are smaller. Maybe worth consideration?

The new Explorer will, in fact, be bigger than the model it replaces. It will just ride on a more car-like chassis.

The Flex is bigger than the new Explorer, but is lower in terms of ride height and the height of the roof.

firedude likes this

I drove a ford explorer als flycar, it was very tail heavy, with just standard medic gear, and the plywood storage system. in wet weather the front end would slide and it was very scary in snow. They ended up taking the compartments out and it was better.

Austin, TX FD uses Ford Escape's for their staff Chiefs. The City Of Austin has bought over a hundred, and plans more, and has them in basically every City agency. TXDOT also uses Ford Escapes for their engineeers.

post-11-0-43674100-1300143874.jpg

A local security company uses these SMART Cars as patrol vehicles:

post-11-0-32340100-1300144208.jpg

Travis County TX Park Rangers (Law Enforcement) use these Toyota Highlanders:

post-11-0-74856900-1300144579.jpg

Austin PD Crime Scene ID Division Ford Escape Hybrid (they hate the 2006-ish Escape Hybrid, but love the new ones)

post-11-0-83307100-1300145315.jpg

firedude likes this

While not smaller... didn't Empire Ambulance have a Hummer H2?

Also, I believe Heritage Hills Security/EMS uses Ford Escapes

Edited by JM15
firedude likes this

Im also looking for info as to how well these vehicles stood up to use/the test of time.

Can you picture responding code 3 in a smart car? I don't know what would be more dangerous the risk of responding code 3 or being hit by another driver who is in a fit of laughter watching this roller skate with lights respond code 3. :lol:

post-957-0-20619000-1300194961.jpg

Edited by PEMO3

While I wouldn't use the term smaller, our newest chiefs vehicle was a cheaper and more logical buy in my opinion. F-250 extended cab with a short 6ft bed. We have used the bed for supply movement, and it can tow our UTV trailer and fire prevention trailer without a problem.

post-3262-0-62668600-1300197519.jpg

I would say that it depended on what the Chief carried in his vehicle and how often it was used. In my opinion an officer who responded quite a bit might want to stay with the traditional HUV for the tougher wear and tear. However, I recently bought a Ford Escape for my wife and I have to say I am quite impressed. Ford has done a very nice job in the new model. I think it would be a great officers vehicle provided that the officer did not carry a lot of bulky equipment. The rear compartment in my opinion would have enough room for some small hand tools an, SCBA rack, an extinguisher, and maybe a few other small toys. Communications/radios in the front however would have to be figured out as the shifter is not on the steering column but down between the front seats.

Rye has 2 Ford Escape Hybrids. One is used by the Fire Insp and the other is the building insp. They are assigned to one person and beside normal maintenence they are pretty much trouble free.