Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

NY State Trooper

18 posts in this topic

At a recent parade, I sat directly opposite a NYSP Trooper on a traffic post.

EACH and EVERY time, the stars and stripes passed by, he saluted with the most crisp salute I have ever seen. Many of the bystanders commented on it as well...all were impressed by his actions.

Well Done Trooper, remain safe.

post-2837-0-96162500-1312232393.jpg

post-2837-0-99692500-1312232405.jpg

Edited by x129K

At a recent parade, I sat directly opposite a NYSP Trooper on a traffic post.

EACH and EVERY time, the stars and stripes passed by, he saluted with the most crisp salute I have ever seen. Many of the bystanders commented on it as well...all were impressed by his actions.

Well Done Trooper, remain safe.

thanks for sharing, AWESOME!!!!!!!

x129K likes this

military background maybe? That looks like military form.

Edited by peterose313

military background maybe? That looks like military form.

Could be but te NYSP is a paramilitary organization and they take it very seriously so I wouldn't be surprised if that's just from his training with the troopers. Here's some info about them...My link

There's a huge difference between military and paramilitary. For one, the time spent drilling on your salute. The more you get out there you'll see there's something about the way former military do certain things. One of them is saluting. I'd bet he's ex military.

He's an AMERICAN who has pride in his County, his Uniform and Himself! That's it!

Military, Paramilitary or Draft Dodger - who cares?

I agree send a letter to his superiors.

FF398, FFBlaser, dadbo46 and 1 other like this

I agree with sending a letter to the barracks. These days, people are so quick to run to the precinct to complain about every little thing we do but people almost NEVER write a letter or call to speak to the Sergeant to say when we do something good.

x129K, BFD1054 and Stewie like this

Already forwarded to the State Police Command and NYSP PBA.

Dan, nice work! Good thinking on your part to not only take note of the Troopers actions, but to get a pic of it as well. Thanks for sharing and kudos to this patriotic Trooper!

Nice! Many should follow his actions. Just a reminder as mentioned before. civilians who are veterans in street clothes can now salute the flag. This shows that you have served. Recently at a Renegades game I looked around and didn't see anyone saluting, I know that there were vets out there. Be proud !

eric12401, x129K and MoFire390 like this

Very well done by the trooper, at many parades I've seen LE officers doing this, common practice in CT, NY and MA. Also seen some firefighters do the same. When shooting a parade I will often take my hat off and stop for a few seconds while the colors pass, at least for the host company when practical for others. I've also recent heard that there is a new law or ruling that allows former military personnel to salute regardless if they are in uniform or not.

It is very nice to see, I have been to many parades that I have seen the cops on traffic duty turn around at the "right" time so they didnt have to salute. Nice job Troop!!!

Edited by EXDC203

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question.

At parades and such, when I am in my uniform, I always salute a passing flag. Is this right?

Also, if I am not in my full uniform, say I have removed my jacket or hat, do I have to salute?

Thanks.

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question.

At parades and such, when I am in my uniform, I always salute a passing flag. Is this right?

Also, if I am not in my full uniform, say I have removed my jacket or hat, do I have to salute?

Thanks.

Here's a couple results from a quick Google search, hope this helps!!

Wikipedia - US Flag Code

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the flag of the United States. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq).

This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and it is not widely enforced — indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Standards of respect

-The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

Parading and saluting the flag

-When carried in a procession, the flag should be to the right of the marchers.

-When other flags are carried, the flag of the United States may be centered in front of the others or carried to their right. When the flag passes in a procession, or when it is hoisted or lowered, all should face the flag and salute.

-To salute, all persons come to attention.

1. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute.
  2. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute.
  3. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart.
  4. Members of uniformed organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.
  5. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention.

Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem

When the flag is displayed:

1. All present except those in uniform should stand at attention with their right hand over the heart.[13]
  2. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder,
  3. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute.
  4. Individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode04/usc_sup_01_4_10_1.html

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/remove-cover-hat-or-salute-2312.html

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/correct-way-carry-large-flag-parade-6151.html

http://www.governor.wa.gov/flag/flagcode.pdf

We were instructed that under military etiquette, if you are on a traffic post or security detail, you are to salute the first flag and not the remainder as they pass.

If you are marching the squad leader is to call eyes right or eyes left (to look at a stationary flag) and only the squad leader salutes.

The color guard does not salute a stationary flag.

We were instructed that under military etiquette, if you are on a traffic post or security detail, you are to salute the first flag and not the remainder as they pass.

If you are marching the squad leader is to call eyes right or eyes left (to look at a stationary flag) and only the squad leader salutes.

The color guard does not salute a stationary flag.

Many Police Departments want the officers to pay attention to traffic and the spectators, not the parade. The NYPD instructs its officers NOT to face the parade, but to be looking at the crowd, or traffic if that is what you are assigned to.

Edited by 10512
helicopper likes this