Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy98988

Yonkers, NY - Firefighter - (Closing: 12/29/2011)

35 posts in this topic

FireRecruit.com

Agency: Yonkers FD

Position: FIREFIGHTER

Final Filing Date: 12/29/2011

Salary: $70,996 per year

Requirements:

Possession of a valid New York State Class D operator's license and proof of education are necessary prior to permanent appointment. This information may also be submitted at time of filing application.

Will YFD offer rides to the testing site and reminder and wake up calls for the test? After all it's only fair for those less fortunate.

BFD1054, YogruntNy and M' Ave like this

Will YFD offer rides to the testing site and reminder and wake up calls for the test? After all it's only fair for those less fortunate.

heard they were giving preference credits to those with rap sheets as well.

heard they were giving preference credits to those with rap sheets as well.

LOL!

LOL!

Rides definately, wake-up calls maybe, rap sheets credit go east young man.

x129K likes this

Do you need to live in Yonkers to get hired ?

Do you need to live in Yonkers to get hired ?

The notice for the exam states that you must reside is Westchester to take the written exam and only Yonkers residents who pass the written portion will be invited to take the physical.

The notice for the exam states that you must reside is Westchester to take the written exam and only Yonkers residents who pass the written portion will be invited to take the physical.

Can you post a link to the exam notice? I can't find it on yfd.org, yonkersfire.org, or yonkersny.gov

Can you post a link to the exam notice? I can't find it on yfd.org, yonkersfire.org, or yonkersny.gov

The exam applications are availible at the Riverfront Library (directly behind the DMV and in front of the Yonkers train station) from Nov. 2 - Nov. 28, where they can be submitted as well. On Nov. 28 the applications will be available online and at city hall. I believe the closing date is Dec. 23

So then if you aren't a Yonkers resident you shouldnt bother taking the test?

The qualifying requirement states that "successful candidates" who are Yonkers residents will be given preference in appointment, and nothing at all that others need not apply.

While living in the jurisdiction obviously helps, for all we know a high scoring non resident candidate might get an appointment over a lower scoring resident, based on any number of other factors.

So, if you want the job, study hard, apply and take the test!

And Good Luck!

BFD1054 likes this

The qualifying requirement states that "successful candidates" who are Yonkers residents will be given preference in appointment, and nothing at all that others need not apply.

While living in the jurisdiction obviously helps, for all we know a high scoring non resident candidate might get an appointment over a lower scoring resident, based on any number of other factors.

So, if you want the job, study hard, apply and take the test!

And Good Luck!

It doesn't hurt to take the test, but there is a fee andn time involved. Anything is possible but FYI we have never even come close to exhausting the resident list and reaching the non-resident list.

It doesn't hurt to take the test, but there is a fee andn time involved. Anything is possible but FYI we have never even come close to exhausting the resident list and reaching the non-resident list.

Chief,

What if a guy was really interested and moved into Yonkers asap?

Alpinerunner and JM15 like this

Very helpful info. Thank you!

if you want this job, move to Yonkers ASAP. If you are fortunate enough to get this job, I believe you do not have to stay in Yonkers.

Chief,

What if a guy was really interested and moved into Yonkers asap?

I guess there is still time to establish residency but this would have to be done rather quickly. If you are moving last minute I would strongly recommend having very credible documentation of when you moved as residency is investigated by the PD if your number eventually is reached on the list.

efdcapt115 likes this

What I don't understand is most the surrounding Municipalities will only hire off a residency list but as soon as a person is off Probation or even while still on in some cases, they are allowed to move elsewhere. Maybe it's time for NY Depts. to adopt the same policies as many Connecticut Depts. and have one list. Who gives a rats a** where somebody lives, i want the best person for the job! Would you rather have an individual who was number one on an "out of town" list backing you up or some guy that got a final grade of a 70% and was 100 on the "in town" list? Like I said not too many individuals even reside anymore in the Towns, Villages or Cities where they work. It's not like years ago and some places have a very scarce legitamate picking pool to even choose from. There's many people who just don't want the Job, no matter how much you beg them to apply form it.

texastom791, FF398, waful and 1 other like this

What I don't understand is most the surrounding Municipalities will only hire off a residency list but as soon as a person is off Probation or even while still on in some cases, they are allowed to move elsewhere. Maybe it's time for NY Depts. to adopt the same policies as many Connecticut Depts. and have one list. Who gives a rats a** where somebody lives, i want the best person for the job! Would you rather have an individual who was number one on an "out of town" list backing you up or some guy that got a final grade of a 70% and was 100 on the "in town" list? Like I said not too many individuals even reside anymore in the Towns, Villages or Cities where they work. It's not like years ago and some places have a very scarce legitamate picking pool to even choose from. There's many people who just don't want the Job, no matter how much you beg them to apply form it.

I think traditionally the issue of "hiring one's own" was based on the theory that these are local jobs for local people.

Edit: Maybe I should expand on that; the sons and daughters of (say) The City of Yonkers traditionally deserve first shot at the job.

Edited by efdcapt115

I would strongly recommend having very credible documentation of when you moved as residency is investigated by the PD if your number eventually is reached on the list.

Indeed it is...after my Seymour Street cover was blown I was told, "Hey, thanks for the donation"...LOL

I think traditionally the issue of "hiring one's own" was based on the theory that these are local jobs for local people.

Edit: Maybe I should expand on that; the sons and daughters of (say) The City of Yonkers traditionally deserve first shot at the job.

I know but lets not forget the type of Profession we're talking about. Many times quick rational decisions have to be made to protect or save one's life or property and why not have those who are most competent regardless of their residency, After all we're not talking about hiring people to work at a new Department Store opening up in our Community. We're in a very hazardous Job where seconds count. I've seen guys who lived and those who still live in the municipality they work in and can't tell you the street name behind the Station they've been workin in for the past 20 yrs so does it really matter in the long run?

INIT915 and BIGRED1 like this

Indeed it is...after my Seymour Street cover was blown I was told, "Hey, thanks for the donation"...LOL

Can't feel too bad for ya if you were lying about your address.................I was an NYPD Cop and had been living in The Bronx for over 2 years when my list number came up for FDNY...........My background investigator for the fire department broke my friggin' balls and told me that she was taking my residency points away because I was born and raised in NJ. After getting into a yelling match with her (not the smartest thing to do when your trying to get on the job), and telling her that she was DISCRIMINATING AGAINST ME for being born and raised in another state, she ABRUPTLY changed her tune. A week later I got my letter that I had gotten on the job and 3 weeks later I was sworn in............I guess she figured this white kid who grew up in Jersey was lying about his residency.........Silly her!

PS: To any FDNY Candidates looking to come on the job...........this investigators name was Marilynn Woodward..........be forewarned!!!!!

Definitly not looking for sympathy Marc...it was stupid. I was following the advice of guys that had walked that road before, but take the responsibility myself. I didnt know better, but should have for sure...however, it happens everyday still.

Someday I will write a book on Civil Service mistakes...done enough of them to keep me in the dispatcher chair and not on a fire truck...not that I mind, it mkes a decent living for my family, but it is not where I pictured myself 20 years ago.

Stay safe Bro...I have my eyes on that Lynn lid too..

BFD1054 likes this

young man...heh i wish, old man.

Edited by YogruntNy

I know but lets not forget the type of Profession we're talking about. Many times quick rational decisions have to be made to protect or save one's life or property and why not have those who are most competent regardless of their residency, After all we're not talking about hiring people to work at a new Department Store opening up in our Community. We're in a very hazardous Job where seconds count. I've seen guys who lived and those who still live in the municipality they work in and can't tell you the street name behind the Station they've been workin in for the past 20 yrs so does it really matter in the long run?

I totally understand your point. However, if the taxpayers in (say once again) The City Of Yonkers decided a long time ago that if their tax dollars were going to fund a fire and police department, and those constituents believed it was in the best interest of the citizens of Yonkers that their own people get preference; that's the way it is.

Same with most Fire Districts, Villages, Town jobs, etc.

I don't know how much of an issue residency has ever been in the educational systems though.

FDNY hires from surrounding counties. NYPD the same. Unless they changed it.

There are also some smaller PD's and FD's in Westchester that will hire non-residents because of the demographics. Residents in some of these communities are too busy trying to get their sons and daughters in Harvard or Yale to be worried about who works at the Firehouse or the Police Station.

Chief Flynn, thank you for your candid opinion concerning the unlikely chances of appointment for non-resident applicants.

Maybe this information could be included in a Frequently Asked Questions section available to potential applicants, so those non-residents interested in applying ought not get their hopes up too high about actually landing a job.

BFD1054 likes this

FDNY gives extra points for NYC Residency

That system makes more sense. Although for FDNY those 5 points make all the difference in the world due to the hireable scores (unadjusted) being between 95 and 100.

I think giving a similar number of points for residency to someone who has FF1/2 is fair. Greenwich seems to have a good deal going on: 1.5 points for residency OR FF1, 0.5 pts for EMT, 0.5 for Q... something like that. It gives someone from out of town, with certs, a fair shot.

Edited by Alpinerunner

However, if the taxpayers in (say once again) The City Of Yonkers decided a long time ago that if their tax dollars were going to fund a fire and police department, and those constituents believed it was in the best interest of the citizens of Yonkers that their own people get preference; that's the way it is.

I dont know the details in Yonkers, but in New Rochelle the preference is dictated in the Federal Court Decree (vulcan case). Yonkers also has a similar decree (but I dont know if has residency in it).