Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

FDNY Lt Joseph DiBernardo

17 posts in this topic

Thoughts and prayers go out to the DiBernardo family on the untimely death of Joey D. Joey survived the tragic FDNY Fire known as the "Black Sun" Fire. A member of Rescue 3 in the Bronx and a well respected instructor who has made an impact on many lives in the past. Rest in peace Joey D.

post-103-0-93264500-1322015581.jpg

BFD1054, x129K, 16fire5 and 3 others like this

Lt Joseph DiBernardo and FF Jeff Cool of Rescues #3 FDNY, Joey'actions during that tragic morning saved Firefigher Cools life and because of that incident the Fire Service has gone ahead to provide training and proper gear for the Bailout Program. May Joey D rest in peace.

BFD1054, sfrd18 and tglass59 like this

Thoughts and prayers go out to the DiBernardo family on the untimely death of Joey D. Joey survived the tragic FDNY Fire known as the "Black Sun" Fire. A member of Rescue 3 in the Bronx and a well respected instructor who has made an impact on many lives in the past. Rest in peace Joey D.

Joey was a "plank holder" in Squad Co. 61 (Bronx), when we were "transformed" by DC Ray Downey (RIP 9-11-01) from an engine co. to a squad co. in SOC. As a newly formed co. we were constantly drilling and preparing to "go-online" as a squad, and many members of the hand-picked company were the original engine members. Joey loved going to the "Rock" every day tour for the months of training- he was always "up" for any type of hands-on activity. Especially when it came to "ropes". He was one of my "rope fairies"- guys who loved to take out the high-angle and confined space gear and rig up scenarios to drill on. I remember one "24" tour where we had spent the whole day training at the "Rock";came back to quarters for the night tour and had chow;drilled again for an hour on "firefighter removal" from the cellar, and then the brothers sat in the kitchem while I did paperwork in the co. office. Around midnight I heard footsteps (not Santa's reindeer) on the roof, so I climbed the scuttle ladder to check it out. There on the roof was Joey and the rest of the crew, setting up to do a "pickoff" from the top floor bunkroom. I was beat, and looking forward to lying down on the couch- but what could I say? I became the "victim" in the window for them to "rescue". You had to admire Joe's burning desire to excel at all phases of firefighting and rescue.

When I got promoted up a rank, he made me a "cutdown" halligan as an officers tool, w/ my nickname welded on it- that was the type of guy Joe was! His Dad (Joe,Sr) is a retired and well-loved Deputy Chief from the South Bronx (Div 6) and my heart gors out to him and the family, and the brothers who knew Joey on FDNY and LI where Joey was also a volly in his hometown. Sorry for this rambling message, but I'm surely going to miss Joey and his quiet but infectious smile and personality. Joey, R.I.P.,brother!

Joey was a "plank holder" in Squad Co. 61 (Bronx), when we were "transformed" by DC Ray Downey (RIP 9-11-01) from an engine co. to a squad co. in SOC. As a newly formed co. we were constantly drilling and preparing to "go-online" as a squad, and many members of the hand-picked company were the original engine members. Joey loved going to the "Rock" every day tour for the months of training- he was always "up" for any type of hands-on activity. Especially when it came to "ropes". He was one of my "rope fairies"- guys who loved to take out the high-angle and confined space gear and rig up scenarios to drill on. I remember one "24" tour where we had spent the whole day training at the "Rock";came back to quarters for the night tour and had chow;drilled again for an hour on "firefighter removal" from the cellar, and then the brothers sat in the kitchem while I did paperwork in the co. office. Around midnight I heard footsteps (not Santa's reindeer) on the roof, so I climbed the scuttle ladder to check it out. There on the roof was Joey and the rest of the crew, setting up to do a "pickoff" from the top floor bunkroom. I was beat, and looking forward to lying down on the couch- but what could I say? I became the "victim" in the window for them to "rescue". You had to admire Joe's burning desire to excel at all phases of firefighting and rescue.

When I got promoted up a rank, he made me a "cutdown" halligan as an officers tool, w/ my nickname welded on it- that was the type of guy Joe was! His Dad (Joe,Sr) is a retired and well-loved Deputy Chief from the South Bronx (Div 6) and my heart gors out to him and the family, and the brothers who knew Joey on FDNY and LI where Joey was also a volly in his hometown. Sorry for this rambling message, but I'm surely going to miss Joey and his quiet but infectious smile and personality. Joey, R.I.P.,brother!

Thanks Lt for the additional information about Joey D. You weren't rambling,you told us info that many will admire about Joey D.

BFD1054 likes this

DEFINITELY not rambling, I appreciate you sharing some of your memories of LT DiBernardo. May he Rest in Peace.

Excellent post Lt.! Maybe it'll inspire some guys both old and new and remind them of what the Job is all about or what it should be about!

BFD1054 likes this

Rest In Peace LT, we have the watch.

I was remarking last night in the back of the engine on the way back to quarters exactly how big, bulky and heavy my bail-out gear is, once I finished the conversation, the Black Sunday radio transmissions popped right into my head. All I could hear, all I could remember, repeating over and over again was the frantic "mayday, mayday, mayday" you hear. It really made me think exactly why I wear this thing, exactly what can go wrong and exactly what I need to do to "bail" my a** out. While it is terribly sad that he has passed, I take some measure of solace in the fact that these firefighters are saving firefighter lives across the country for years, decades and generations to come.

Joey D to sum up was a man who was the definition of the fire service...Always there to help anybody and everybody through everything. Always into the job, always looking to train and find ways to better the fire service. A true buff. He makes me proud to say i am a firefighter. He will sadly be missed but will always be remembered!

Rest in peace Lt. Joe DiBernardo

efdcapt115 likes this