Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Verplanck TL46 Resolution for Sale of

23 posts in this topic

From The Journal New legal section November 9, 2011: "VERPLANCK FIRE DISTRICT...BOARD RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE SALE OF A 2002 EMERGENCY ONE BRONTO SKYLIFT AERIAL TRUCK PLATFORM QUINT FIRE TRUCK WITH 2000 GPM PUMP, AS SURPLUS FOR A SUM IN EXCESS OF FIFTY THOUSAND AND 00/100 ($50,000) DOLLARS". This is to be voted on at the annual District Elections December 13, 2011 by the residnts of the District.

Anyone with more info on this?

firedude likes this

$50,000 minimum for a Bronto Skylift? Has the truck been damaged?

This truck is what, 11 years old? Orignally about a one million dollar or more truck. Are they planning on getting a new truck, and please tell me no. Even if the Bronto doesn't work for them, why would they even need another ladder? A 75' Quint maybe, but another TL? As we've discussed in another thread, Montrose already has a Tower Ladder only minutes away.

Good eye, Steve.

sfrd18, INIT915 and firedude like this

Fifty grand for starters? That's it? I'm with Seth on this one.

If it's not damaged, whoever's gonna get this rig will be getting a truck in nearly-mint condition, or so I gather.

the rumors that i heard they are looking at a mid-mount.

Same. Last I heard they were still looking at a few manufacturers, but no decision yet.

Edited by FF398

Was this rig originally funded in part by Entergy? Do they have any voice in the disposal of this unit?

$50,000 minimum for a Bronto Skylift? Has the truck been damaged?

This truck is what, 11 years old? Orignally about a one million dollar or more truck. Are they planning on getting a new truck, and please tell me no. Even if the Bronto doesn't work for them, why would they even need another ladder? A 75' Quint maybe, but another TL? As we've discussed in another thread, Montrose already has a Tower Ladder only minutes away.

Good eye, Steve.

I understand the thought process...but what difference would it truly make if they wanted another platform type device vs. a straight stick?

While I personally believe, for their call volume and surrounding resources, Verplank does not need any aerial devices, let alone a fire department, the purchase of a mid-mount tower ladder vs. a rear mount tower or quint would actaully be a good idea. If you're spending the money, why not buy something that is versatile and functional. Mid-mounts are much easier for apparatus placement and have a much greater scrub area. A mid-mount would work much better than the bronto skylift they currently have considering their 1st due area and the surrounding communties (montrose, buchanan, and peekskill) are largely short story buildings (PD's, small and large OMD's, and taxpayers). That said...What a waste! I've seen some of their manuevers at fires with the bronto and they'll probably swing the tower into the cab and take it clean off!

Whats...........really good!!

Edited by BBBMF

The question is WHY? 10 year old truck? If the citizens of that FIRE DISTRICT vote yes for the new truck, Then they diserve what they get. MORE MONEY OUT OF THEIR POCKETS? For WHAT?

INIT915 and sfrd18 like this

I agree with seling the truck, but bank the $$. VFD doesnt need an aerial with MFD and PFD less then 2 miles away. Just saying.

BFD1054 and x129K like this

Verplank is 0.8 of a square mile large.

Verplank has a population of 1,729 residents.

Montrose FD has a Ladder Tower only minutes away.

Verplank has no structures that Montrose, Peekskill's, or Croton's ladders can't handle. Mostly residential and except for the Gypsum plant, no real commercial or industral areas. And if it's for Indian Point, if that place ever catches fire, I would think that the Indian Point Fire Brigade should be able to handle with the existing area Tower Ladders.

They may or may not be selling it with plans to buy another aerial. $50,000 minimum for a truck like that is very suspicous. So, if they are selling it, I ask, why just so the facts are straight?

And if Verplank desperately needed an Aerial, why would it be a Tower Ladder? The area is saturated by them. Why not get something like this? As far as I know, there aren't any rear mount sticks in the area. A 75' Quint is a good deal for an area like Verplank.

post-11-0-74161400-1323030286.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

I believe the 50,000.00 plus in the add is to satisfy state law. The law states if a fire district is declaing surplus and selling anything with a value of more the 50,000.00 they must have a public vote to be able to sell it. Since they don't know how much they will get for it per the law the add is correct.

Verplank is 0.8 of a square mile large.

Verplank has a population of 1,729 residents.

Montrose FD has a Ladder Tower only minutes away.

Verplank has no structures that Montrose, Peekskill's, or Croton's ladders can't handle. Mostly residential and except for the Gypsum plant, no real commercial or industral areas. And if it's for Indian Point, if that place ever catches fire, I would think that the Indian Point Fire Brigade should be able to handle with the existing area Tower Ladders.

They may or may not be selling it with plans to buy another aerial. $50,000 minimum for a truck like that is very suspicous. So, if they are selling it, I ask, why just so the facts are straight?

And if Verplank desperately needed an Aerial, why would it be a Tower Ladder? The area is saturated by them. Why not get something like this? As far as I know, there aren't any rear mount sticks in the area. A 75' Quint is a good deal for an area like Verplank.

How many runs a year?

Was this rig originally funded in part by Entergy? Do they have any voice in the disposal of this unit?

mfc...if i remember correctly, this truck was paid for by Entergy. They either paid for all of it, or most of it anyway. I believe the Bronto was chosen for its maneuverability that would come in handy at Entergy.

However, outside of Entergy, there really is no need for that Truck in Verplanck.

Maybe Entergy will buy it back and use it as their Fire Brigade rig :P .

Less than 100 fire calls a year

Less. And the number of calls where the truck is actually used (other than parades and M/A stand-by into Peekskill)?

Let's not kid ourselves.

Mohegan Fire has 2 of them....there are NO MID-MOUNTS in the area. seems like a good idea for one to make it to the tri-village.

Mohegan Fire has 2 of them....there are NO MID-MOUNTS in the area. seems like a good idea for one to make it to the tri-village.

A straight stick would benefit more then another tower ladder in my opinion. The two closest straight sticks are Mohegan's Ladder 35 and Ossining's Ladder 41. Both aren't exactly right down the road either.

BFD1054 likes this

OK. Let me say first that I do agree with some of your points and glad mine invoked some more conversation. I like playing devils advocate once in a while.

With that said...Montrose yes it does have a ladder tower. It may or may not be minutes away. Peekskill has their own call volume to worry about along with the staffing issues for the way they operate to get their staffing for operation. In the city..not a problem...out of..not so easy. Add on to it the fact they run ALS and their resource management is very important to handle their own calls which is pretty high. Croton...little bit more of a hike...but again...Croton has their own calls to handle...and how fair is it to tax payers of other areas to be funding resources for not what mutual aid is intended to be...to assist when YOUR resources are stretched. Not to supplement your current system. I forget what the distance is..Barry's the one that can and probably will chime in what the ISO distance is for aerial devices but I'd spend some tax money collectively to get the ISO rating down to get taxpayers some savings on fire insurance premiums.

As far as a straight stick...I still don't get it. There are very minute pros and cons of a straight stick vs a platform. I could really care less what the resources around me are. I have come to appreciate the use of platforms over the past 10 years as a person who had really operated off of nothing but straight sticks. Its a very stable platform to perform ventilation off of and much more comfortable operating off of with master stream operations. So to me you go with what best fits what is best for your area and personnel. As far as Mohegan having 2 straight sticks...maybe someone from there can answer as to why they didn't do a mix in their district and do 1 straight...1 ladder tower or tower ladder. If you're really worried about the taxpayers why not ask why the southern sections of the town or Cortlandt don't have the same service and resources the northern part does and how looking at such and getting something similar wouldn't actually cost them as much money when their ISO rating drops.

Honestly based on the size of buildings, the call volume, and the population I think the tri-village would be just fine with one truck.

BFD1054 likes this