Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Freelancing, Buffing, etc.....

43 posts in this topic

Sorry everyone, but i want to discuss a topic that is a big pet pieve of mine: Freelancing or "buffing" of calls.

Manpower is always a hot topic here on EMTBravo and rightfully so. But i want to discuss another form of manpower, the kind that just shows up.

Why is this (or at least seems to be) an accepted practice in many areas? Time and time again, i see members of agencies that havent even been requested showing up to fires.

Better yet, i see members of agencies who HAVE been requested who show up on scenes in their POV's. If your agency is requested M/A for an engine, Truck, FAST, etc, why wouldnt/shouldnt you go to your respective station to "staff" the apparatus? Wouldnt it make more sense for EVERYONE to know who they have and if they can properly fill out the request?

It seems that there is way too much freelancing that occurs. This leads to a less uniform response and operation.

More importantly, it leads to lack of accountability and makes for a free-for-all on the fireground.

Im just curious what other members think of this, or does nobody else see it as an issue? Perhaps some of you feels its an acceptable practice?

This is obviously a volunteer issue. But any of the career members on here, please, feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Im curious if any agencies have SOPs/SOGs regarding this?

Personally, i feel if people are found to be freelancing, they should be sent packing from the scene.

Manpower is great, but only good if its known/recorded.

Ideas, thoughts, opinions?

Thank you and stay safe!

Dinosaur, sfrd18, FF398 and 6 others like this

When in years past, VFD's had more members and there was less call requiring M/A was this less of an issue?

As depts are finding it harder to manage without multiple M/A depts. has this opened the door to "you called, so we came"?

What if any penalties occur when someone "buffs"? Particularly if they get in the way.

When in years past, VFD's had more members and there was less call requiring M/A was this less of an issue?

As depts are finding it harder to manage without multiple M/A depts. has this opened the door to "you called, so we came"?

What if any penalties occur when someone "buffs"? Particularly if they get in the way.

Captain, thank you for chiming in.

Ive been in the volunteer fire service for just about 13 years now and i seem to remember this always being somewhat of an issue. However, i dont think it was as bad as its become.

I think youve hit the nail on the head with your second sentence. Again, if its M/A thats directly called for, i have no problem. Its when people who werent requeted show up and operate. Also, i dont understand POV's going to M/A calls? Shouldt the apparatus be manned properly and then respond? When members respond directly to a M/A scene, accountabilty goes out the window and opens the door to many issues IMO.

As for penalties; this is something i was curious about. I feel its something that should be enforced. You're just creating the potential for more danger than good.

Ive seen FF's come in M/A when requested for a Truck, but theyre fighting to get on a handline. Ive seen other variations of this as well.

When properly utilized and implemented, mutual-aid can be a very good thing. But when freelancing and buffing is allowed to run rampant, it can lead to disaster.

Let's clarify our definitions before this thread starts rolling.

"Buff" is someone whose hobby is the FD, be it fires, fire apparatus, old tools, history, etc. A buff often appears at fires but is not involved with any part of the command structure. His position is to stay behind the fire lines and observe, take photos or videos, or discuss the strategy. Sometimes, he is well known and trusted by the IC, and is allowed to cross the fire lines and take pictures, but he cannot become involved in the operation. Also, both career and voll personnel are often found buffing, many are there not to buff but to learn strategy or tactics to better their knowledge of firefighting. Most buffs are not a problem. If they go where they are not supposed tb be, they are told to get back and usually comply.

"Freelancer" is someone who IS part of the command/operations structure but is not following the orders of his superiors or the incident action plan. For example, without an order, he may vent a window, discharge a hose line, enter a building without authorization, etc. A freelancer, by the way, can be a Chief from another department who is operating and giving orders like it was his fire instead of the actual IC. It could be a company that is assigned to the job, but is doing their own thing. Freelancers will get people killed. Yes!...straighten them out or get them off the fireground. Career FFs who are freelancing are easy to correct. Their freelancing can cost them 3 days pay or worse. Volls might take some schmoozing to correct the problem, but if it happens more than once, it's probably time to drop him from your rolls. I know it's hard to get volls to join, but losing a member is better than losing a life.

If there is really a problem, you can get a police officer and request an arrest for interfering with governmental operations. (That's if the freelancer isn't the cop)

Sorry Brothers in blue, I just couldn't pass that one up. I still like you guys.

Edited by wraftery

"Buff" is someone whose hobby is the FD, be it fires, fire apparatus, old tools, history, etc. A buff often appears at fires but is not involved with any part of the command structure. His position is to stay behind the fire lines and observe, take photos or videos, or discuss the strategy. Sometimes, he is well known and trusted by the IC, and is allowed to cross the fire lines and take pictures, but he cannot become involved in the operation. Also, both career and voll personnel are often found buffing, many are there not to buff but to learn strategy or tactics to better their knowledge of firefighting. Most buffs are not a problem. If they go where they are not supposed tb be, they are told to get back and usually comply.

"Freelancer" is someone who IS part of the command/operations structure but is not following the orders of his superiors or the incident action plan. For example, without an order, he may vent a window, discharge a hose line, enter a building without authorization, etc. A freelancer, by the way, can be a Chief from another department who is operating and giving orders like it was his fire instead of the actual IC. It could be a company that is assigned to the job, but is doing their own thing. Freelancers will get people killed. Yes!...straighten them out or get them off the fireground. Career FFs who are freelancing are easy to correct. Their freelancing can cost them 3 days pay or worse. Volls might take some schmoozing to correct the problem, but if it happens more than once, it's probably time to drop him from your rolls. I know it's hard to get volls to join, but losing a member is better than losing a life.

Chief, excellent points!

I more or less meant those who "buff" with the intent on "freelancing." Sorry for any confusion lol.

For the record, i have NO problem with the buffs you speak of.

Edited by BFD1054

if its M/A thats directly called for, i have no problem. Its when people who werent requeted show up and operate. Also, i dont understand POV's going to M/A calls? Shouldt the apparatus be manned properly and then respond? When members respond directly to a M/A scene, accountabilty goes out the window and opens the door to many issues IMO.

Just because their dept was called, does not mean that accountability is properly handled.

In fact i find most mutual aid incidents do not have accountability (or they think they have it, but thats for another thread).

Without proper accountabilty you will have freelancing. Does not matter the type or size of department.

MoFire390, BFD1054 and SageVigiles like this

If there is really a problem, you can get a police officer and request an arrest for interfering with governmental operations. (That's if the freelancer isn't the cop)

Sorry Brothers in blue, I just couldn't pass that one up. I still like you guys.

Well said, Chief.

How does one fix this?? Set a policy. If someone shows up in POV from a M/A department, tell them to standby until the rig gets there, with proper manpower,or, have them assist the IC at the Command Post, or, send that person packing. Furthermore, set forth in that policy, maybe countywide, that anyone going M/A MUST respond to the firehouse, and respond with a rig. Just my thoughts.

Edited by JBE
efdcapt115 and BFD1054 like this

Please forgive me for contributing to this post as I'm not a FF, however, as far as enforcement &/or penalties goes why not use Fire police. Give offenders one warning to clear the scene or else. I would think that being arrested by a fellow FF would hurt more than the fine they would receive.

Sorry everyone, but i want to discuss a topic that is a big pet pieve of mine: Freelancing or "buffing" of calls.

Manpower is always a hot topic here on EMTBravo and rightfully so. But i want to discuss another form of manpower, the kind that just shows up.

Why is this (or at least seems to be) an accepted practice in many areas? Time and time again, i see members of agencies that havent even been requested showing up to fires.

Better yet, i see members of agencies who HAVE been requested who show up on scenes in their POV's. If your agency is requested M/A for an engine, Truck, FAST, etc, why wouldnt/shouldnt you go to your respective station to "staff" the apparatus? Wouldnt it make more sense for EVERYONE to know who they have and if they can properly fill out the request?

It seems that there is way too much freelancing that occurs. This leads to a less uniform response and operation.

More importantly, it leads to lack of accountability and makes for a free-for-all on the fireground.

Im just curious what other members think of this, or does nobody else see it as an issue? Perhaps some of you feels its an acceptable practice?

This is obviously a volunteer issue. But any of the career members on here, please, feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Im curious if any agencies have SOPs/SOGs regarding this?

Personally, i feel if people are found to be freelancing, they should be sent packing from the scene.

Manpower is great, but only good if its known/recorded.

Ideas, thoughts, opinions?

Thank you and stay safe!

Mikey, I must say I'm not a big fan of "buffing" calls. While at one point I have been guilty of "buffing" a few calls it kinda drives me crazy that I would ever think of something like this. While having a family now I understand the importance of staying home and letting the host department "play". If the pager goes off then I'll go. But the days of me leaving home without the pager going off is over.

Please forgive me for contributing to this post as I'm not a FF, however, as far as enforcement &/or penalties goes why not use Fire police. Give offenders one warning to clear the scene or else. I would think that being arrested by a fellow FF would hurt more than the fine they would receive.

I could see liability in using fire police for making arrests. They dont carry weapons nor are they trained to my knowledge to the extent of regular police officers in making arrests or use of force if force should be needed.

Dinosaur likes this

I think the "attending" of other folks incidents offers a learning opportunity. Many agencies get very few actual structure fires, MCI's etc, so you can multiply your chances to see right and wrong by going to other folks calls.

BUT: At these incidents there are victims. Someone is losing life and or property. It does us all a big disservice for people to stand around wearing jackets and outerwear with FD or EMS insignia at these scenes. Add the joking, smoking, laughing, swearing and snide comments that occur and we all look like absolute crap to the 99% of the crowd who are not us.

Being able to watch an incident without the responsibility of having to participate can be a valuable learning experience. But making us all look like uncaring fools can be very wreckless. Go. Learn. Don't look like an MOS. Be respectful of the scene and its victims.

I could see liability in using fire police for making arrests. They dont carry weapons nor are they trained to my knowledge to the extent of regular police officers in making arrests or use of force if force should be needed.

They are sworn peace officers with full police powers in NYS

Good topic.

I tend to believe that a proactive approach will go much farther is reducing or eliminating freelancing that a reactive one. What I mean by this is that while negative reinforcement will provide an immediate answer it generally will not stem the problem. Suspensions, loss of pay ect will have an effect but usually won't correct the problem fully. To stop freelancing one must have it ingrained in them from the begining that such action is neither promoted, tolerated or accepted and this is done through training. SOP/Gs should adress the issue by having a clear and definitive process by which on scene activities are carried out whether it be while responding on the rigs or if arriving POV, and that process is how members should train. If your department has not specified this than you really can't blame your members for not following "rules" that don't exist. If mutual aid responses create a problem than address them with your nieghboring departments and come up with a standard procedure which everyone follows. Reactive measures, i.e. punishments have their place and Officers should not be afraid to use them when necessary, but a culture of no freelancing must have a constantly reinforced foundation first for any FD if they want to see results.

Just my $.02

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs
Bnechis likes this

In my neck of the woods and surrounding area, turnout gear is kept the fire station. There is no going direct to the scene unless you are a Chief officer or fire police. Everyone goes to the station, gears up, and the trucks roll. For mutual aid, same thing applies. If we are going mutual aid your getting there via the Big Red Truck, no POV's. It makes accountability easier, the officer on the truck knows who on his crew with what skills/certs is onboard, and can think about individual assignments enroute, under guidance from the mutual aid IC (or our chief if he is there before the truck whch often happens), who is standing right next to the mutual aid IC, asking what the apparatus/crew assignment is. There is no freelancing. You were called for a specific assignment, you will perform said assignment and when complete, you will inform the IC and await futher orders. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think keeping gear at the station keeps the fire dept member from A town going to B towns call (when not called by mutual aid) with the "I was in the area and saw you guys had a call so here I am to help" type of instances because he has no gear, and therefore no reason to be on the fireground. It may not work for all, but it works for us.

BFD1054 and Bnechis like this

Technically this is true, But in many cases they are not physically able to perfrom that function.

Interesting side note:

NFPA Report: On-Duty Deaths of Fire-Police Officers 1991 - 2010

Summary Sheet

• From 1991 through 2010, 68 fire-police officers died in the U.S. of injuries suffered while on duty.

• All of the victims were members of volunteer fire departments and all were male.

• “Fire-police officer” is a category of firefighter that is not commonly used throughout the U.S. In fact, 75 percent occurred in just two states -- Pennsylvania (30 deaths) and New York (22 deaths).

• The victims ranged in age from 41 to 82 years, with a median age of 67.

I think the "attending" of other folks incidents offers a learning opportunity. Many agencies get very few actual structure fires, MCI's etc, so you can multiply your chances to see right and wrong by going to other folks calls.

Agreed, but is the key is the learning positive or negative. If they witness improper action at a couple of different scenes (particularly if involving different depts) and there is not a respected leader to advise them as to what is correct or not, then they may be reinforcing bad concepts.

BUT: At these incidents there are victims. Someone is losing life and or property. It does us all a big disservice for people to stand around wearing jackets and outerwear with FD or EMS insignia at these scenes. Add the joking, smoking, laughing, swearing and snide comments that occur and we all look like absolute crap to the 99% of the crowd who are not us......Go. Learn. Don't look like an MOS. Be respectful of the scene and its victims.

Well said Bill.

True, but they are mostly for directing traffic, crowd control, and securing a scene until law enforcement can take control. IIRC in class they are told that under the law they can make an arrest, but it is better to notify a police officer to handle the situation if an arrest is needed. If they make the arrest, they will have to meet with the DA's office and testify in court if need be. Very few fire police officer's are going to do this on their own time.

As far as buffing, I have buffed several jobs, it is best if you keep your mouth shut, eyes open, and stay out of the way. I recently was at a scene where a homeowner was in full panic attack since I took a photo of a fire dept. operating on the outside of her house. It was easier to just to just walk away apologizing for the stressful problem she was experiencing, than to try and justify the reasoning for taking photos.

Freelancing drives me nuts. We all have seen or experienced it. Its worse when a M/A chief is the one leading it, beacause "he is the chief, and its his guys". When you come on a scene, the IC is responsible. I'm not talking about other chiefs taking on a role such as operations, or water supply. I've seen too many chiefs roll into a scene, and report to the IC, "Dept XXXX is here," and then decide to take on a function or job for his crew such as ventilation, and never notify the IC as to what he and his crew are doing.

If your agency is requested M/A for an engine, Truck, FAST, etc, why wouldnt/shouldnt you go to your respective station to "staff" the apparatus? Wouldnt it make more sense for EVERYONE to know who they have and if they can properly fill out the request?

I do not see a problem here if we are all on the same page... example of this was a call at the Monrose VA, Croton was dispatched for FAST... I was at work, less then a minute from the VA, our FAST engine was 9 minutes away in the opposite direction, so I responded to the scene... I did call a team member heading to the FH and told them I was responding to the scene... I geared up, went to the IC and started learning what was going on, who was inside, did a quick 360 and started setting up the FAST team with the VA's RIT pack, along with a second CFD member who showed up..

So in some cases going to the scene in a POV can work, as long as the Team and rig, ( and the hosting IC ) know your going to meet them there.

Being that my office is in another fire district, I have responded to some of their " true " calls and have assisted. BUT, this only happens after I have asked the Chiefs if it is ok to show up before hand, and I report to the officer on the scene and I do as told... I am there to assist them, to work for them and not as a freelancer.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, THERE ARE MANY WHO DO FREE LANCE WHO NEED TO BE CONTROLLED

What kind of training do the recieve?

What kind of training do the recieve?

21 Hour course, includes learning laws, History of the fire service and fire police, Personal Protective equipment, Traffic Management situations, Flagger training, Incident management system and Crowd control and crime scene management practices. Final test includes written exam and practical. Although I haven't taken the course, I'm pretty sure the first thing they tell you is to let a Police Officer do the work.

Interesting side note, there is curently a bill in the NY state senate to get sworn-in FP members to the scene faster. I just wanted to quickly share this, we can discuss in another thread.

Ref. NYS VTL Article 375 (41) (4) (a)

FIRE POLICE - New statewide legislation has been proposed through NYS Bill S5021A last dated May 11, 2011, an act to amend the NYS Vehicle and Traffic law, in relation to the display of lights on vehicles owned by Fire Police members. The bill proposes that an amendment be made to NYS VTL Article 375(41) to include that, in order to expedite emergency response by Fire Police, since Fire Police need to report as quickly as possible to the scene of an emergency in order to secure an area for emergency vehicles, a blue grill light shall be placed on the passenger side of a Fire Police vehicle with a red grill light on the driver's side in order to permit Fire Police the right away in traffic. This will also allow Fire Police to set up a perimeter at the scene of an emergency. By changing the lights on Fire Police vehicles, this will ease Fire Police respondence to emergencies. With the exception of the Fire Chief's vehicle, all Fire Police vehicles will have to utilize an alternate red light/blue light system

21 Hour course, includes learning laws, History of the fire service and fire police, Personal Protective equipment, Traffic Management situations, Flagger training, Incident management system and Crowd control and crime scene management practices. Final test includes written exam and practical. Although I haven't taken the course, I'm pretty sure the first thing they tell you is to let a Police Officer do the work.

Interesting side note, there is curently a bill in the NY state senate to get sworn-in FP members to the scene faster. I just wanted to quickly share this, we can discuss in another thread.

Not sure if I like the idea of outfitting a personal vehicle with red lights. Call me a killjoy...

BFD1054 likes this

As a fire police officer and recent graduate of fire police training, I can state for a fact that what firedude says is correct. While we have peace officer powers, they are mainly so that if someone runs the traffic post, a police officer doesn't need to personally witness the incident, but can issue a UTT/criminal complaint on our behalf (like the fellow officer rule). The class contained ZERO training on self-defense, arrest procedures, handcuffing, or constitutional law. In fact, I learned more about those topics from my police explorer post and NYPD Auxiliary training( which only gives peace officer status for purposes of traffic control in times of national emergency or war).

Interestingly enough, the class does include training on how to properly photograph a fire scene for arson investigation photos, and on how to maintain a crime scene log, and I have been told by numerous people that I should take Fire Behavior/Arson Awareness. Also, the majority of my class was in their 30s-50s, with 3 or 4 in their 20's and 1 or 2 18/19 year olds. The instructors also kept saying that "the days of fire police officers being elderly firefighters 'put out to pasture' are over".

Combine this with the bill referenced above, and the fact DCJS is pushing for a standardized peace officer training program of 180 hours, I have to say I think fire police may be headed in a different direction

Not sure if I like the idea of outfitting a personal vehicle with red lights. Call me a killjoy...

I would only support it if they required EVOC/CEVO or some form of driver training prior to being authorized to use it. However, it isn't without precedent other POV's are already allowed to use red (Fire Chief/Ambulance Captain/ESAV's.

It also seems that FP vehicles would still be "courtesy vehicles", having red as a courtesy color and an emergency color is a very bad idea (way too confusing for the public)

Edited by v85

When I volunteered here in the Fort Worth area we were not to respond in our POV to the scene. We had to respond to the station, and then respond on a piece of apparatus if first out rig hadn't left yet. If the first unit had already responded, you then would be on stand by at the station until the next out unit was requested, and had enough manpower. We were not allowed to take our gear home with us unless we were going to a fire academy course.

Another FD I volunteered with several years ago went M/A with a larger D/FW area dept. on a house fire. I was on my way home from my full-time job and had to drive through this neighborhood to get home. I noticed all the fire apparatus from the larger dept. on scene. I parked my car out of the way, and walked up to see what was going on. Staying behind the fire/police line I watched with all the other bystanders. I had no idea my FD was on scene as I was not wearing any kind of radio/pager/ etc. to advice me of it. My FD Lt. happened to see me standing in the crowd, and came over to ask me to assist with changing out air bottles. I was told to check in with IC, and let him know who I was, and what I was going to be doing. After the fire was out I helped roll hose not only for my dept. but for the larger dept. as well.

From the EMS point of view...

I've freelanced a grand total of one time...I was en route to a large scale incident, in uniform and as requested by our command staff, when I came across a MVA that would have represented a small-scale MCI had all but one patient not refused. After talking to the command staff, I secured my POV away from the scene and offered assistance. Given that our area was already strapped from the prior incident, the extra help was needed and appreciated.

That being said, freelancing without permission tends to be a major problem in major incidents. While we roster in house crews and don't have to deal with the issue of toning and hoping for a crew to assemble, we do have people responding to calls without permission, particularly those big calls that wouldn't have an issue garnering a response in other areas. Having responded to calls on the duty crew where this has happened, I'd say it's problematic. It creates needless chaos on scene and increases the workload for the IC, whoever that may be. If I was part of the command staff, I'd add consequences for it. I don't think I'd last very long in the command staff of a volunteer agency in this areas...

firedude likes this

One of the problems with the quasi-freelancing when someone just 'shows-up' at an incident and offers their services to the IC is that when the IC is up to his neck in alligators, he/she accepts the help instead of doing what he/she would probably do under normal circumstances and send them packing. Once they're accepted once, they're empowered for the next time and we have the situation we have today.

Another problem is when the chief officers condone the practice and don't deal with their own members who do it. If we had good accountability, there would be a way that the incident IC could notify the freelance members department of the member and their actions so something could be done above kicking them off the scene. Unfortunately, we all know how well our accountability works...

I have to agree with wraftery about the differences between buffing and freelancing too. Buffs aren't generally the problem. Freelancers are certainly a problem!

BFD1054 likes this

Another interesting disparity. Training for fire police is 21 hours but the required training to be a peace officer in NYS is 40 hours (and that may soon change as was noted in another post). They may be authorized by statute to be called peace officers, but they are definitely not trained to engage in police actions such as arrests.

From the EMS point of view...

I've freelanced a grand total of one time...I was en route to a large scale incident, in uniform and as requested by our command staff, when I came across a MVA that would have represented a small-scale MCI had all but one patient not refused. After talking to the command staff, I secured my POV away from the scene and offered assistance. Given that our area was already strapped from the prior incident, the extra help was needed and appreciated.

That being said, freelancing without permission tends to be a major problem in major incidents. While we roster in house crews and don't have to deal with the issue of toning and hoping for a crew to assemble, we do have people responding to calls without permission, particularly those big calls that wouldn't have an issue garnering a response in other areas. Having responded to calls on the duty crew where this has happened, I'd say it's problematic. It creates needless chaos on scene and increases the workload for the IC, whoever that may be. If I was part of the command staff, I'd add consequences for it. I don't think I'd last very long in the command staff of a volunteer agency in this areas...

That's not freelancing. That's what is supposed to happen. You came across a PIAA, took the proper actions, and reported that to the IC on the original call.

Good job, son.

x129K and firedude like this

One of the problems with the quasi-freelancing when someone just 'shows-up' at an incident and offers their services to the IC is that when the IC is up to his neck in alligators, he/she accepts the help instead of doing what he/she would probably do under normal circumstances and send them packing. Once they're accepted once, they're empowered for the next time and we have the situation we have today.

Maybe the solution is to use stagging. If you approach the IC for an assignment (and he didnt request you), he should say: "go over to staging to check in". Now we find out who you are, what dept., etc. and we can assign you as needed...or not.

Unfortunately, we all know how well our accountability works...

Its perfect, just like our staffing, response times, training, resource utilization and our mutual aid.

newsbuff likes this