Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anesti

Aviation "Fire Department". Bronx, NY

40 posts in this topic

Since there is a thread about them, I was able to shoot there rigs 2 weeks ago.

Their "new" ALF from New Jersey

post-18231-0-65247300-1327527918.jpg

sfrd18 and firedude like this

2nd esu unit, Unknown from where it came from also a guy told me they are waiting for a crown vic,a ford explorer and a possible a passenger van

post-18231-0-32940200-1327528143.jpg

Edited by Anesti
sfrd18 and firedude like this

Are these units still operated by Aviation in the Bronx? Also, is Aviation currently disbanded?

Edited by sfrd18

Are these units still operated by Aviation in the Bronx? Also, is Aviation currently disbanded?

Yes these are their new units, They reopened 3 weeks ago from what i heard.

By what I can see in these pictures, there doesn't appear to be any hose on the ALF pumper except for the booster reel. Are there other pictures that shows if there is hose on the rig. If there isn't any hose, how do they fight a fire other than a trash fire?

Where did they get the funding to purchase all of this equipment?

Where did they get the funding to purchase all of this equipment?

One of the other site or news articles says they are "membership funded", basically they purchased the equipment themselves.

By what I can see in these pictures, there doesn't appear to be any hose on the ALF pumper except for the booster reel. Are there other pictures that shows if there is hose on the rig. If there isn't any hose, how do they fight a fire other than a trash fire?

I just blew this up from Anesti's photo.

post-19318-0-53130600-1327628659.jpg

(Anesti)

Doesn't look like any hose to me.

Like the old rescue you owned ???

It did not have red lights or a siren thank you

It did not have red lights or a siren thank you

But it was a BIG RED TRUCK !!!!!!

Like the old rescue you owned ???

Now that's some funny s*&t right there.

Haggerty 1029 likes this

do they still have that 2 bay station on Gildersleeve by Harding Park?

No, i think it was torn down a few years ago.

What's the point of having rigs that aren't going to be used for firefighting? Is it just a group of buffs, seeing as how there's no hose on the back of their rig? Where is the Aviation "Fire Department" located now?

Edited by sfrd18

What's the point of having rigs that aren't going to be used for firefighting? Is it just a group of buffs, seeing as how there's no hose on the back of their rig? Where is the Aviation "Fire Department" located now?

They have office space in a building that is shared with a law firm on White Plains Rd., 1 driving mile from Eng. 96 and Lad. 54.

I'm sure someone out there knows a lot more about this than I do, but I seem to remember that their original ex-FDNY ALF Century was destroyed on 9/11. Sometime after that, they received a donated, older E-One (I think) from somewhere down in the Tidewater area. Maybe that was short lived because of incompatible fittings, etc.

Anyway, the Vollie Companies are a slice of old New York that I'm glad to see are still around, if only for posterity.

I'm sure someone out there knows a lot more about this than I do, but I seem to remember that their original ex-FDNY ALF Century was destroyed on 9/11. Sometime after that, they received a donated, older E-One (I think) from somewhere down in the Tidewater area. Maybe that was short lived because of incompatible fittings, etc.

Anyway, the Vollie Companies are a slice of old New York that I'm glad to see are still around, if only for posterity.

The ALF was not destroyed, its up at Andy's place. The E-One was donated out of VA and they had anothe rig that was purcahsed for them. Those two were sold. This is covered in the other thread covering this.

Sure is! It has eye balls and everything :rolleyes:

"The better to watch you my pretty!!!" :P

Sure is! It has eye balls and everything :rolleyes:

And what appears to be quite an empty hosebed in the back. Hard to put out a fire with NO HOSE.

And what appears to be quite an empty hosebed in the back. Hard to put out a fire with NO HOSE.

I don't beleive it's putting out fires these days.

Edited by 210
sfrd18 and PCFD ENG58 like this

I don't beleive it's putting out fires these days.

210's right, if you looked above at my post (#22 to be exact) I said where this rig now resides.

The ALF was not destroyed, its up at Andy's place.

Edited by IzzyEng4

There's a lot of history behind that engine. I think West Hamilton Beach had one or two similar to the old Aviation ALF and they also run a Century 2000 alongside their refurbed Mack, again similar to the ALF originally posted on this thread. I'm not a big American LaFrance fan, but it would be awesome to own that one.

West Hamilton Beach's Mack looks really good when they had it refurbed in 99, I think they have added some LED's to it since.