Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Too Many Heart Attacks...

40 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to put this topic so feel free to move it to where it belongs.

I felt this needed to be discussed openly with all of our brothers/sisters in a constructive way to hopefully prevent any future LODD's from MI's.

I for one, am extrememly overweight and have a vast family history of heart troubles and it scares me to see all of these firefighters passing from heart related issues, medical issues, or "Unknown" medical issues AFTER the call. How many LODD notices have I read lately with the firefighter passing at the station, or at home some time after the call has ended? How many have passed at the scene or at the station after responding for a call?

We need to step-up our efforts to increase physical fitness in the fire service and prevent each other from dropping with heart attacks and strokes. We need to encourage each other to improve our level of physical fitness, and start eating right.

You see grants being written for firefighting equipment, gear and trucks...but how about gym equipment for the station? It wouldnt take much to get a treadmill or bike, and some free weights at each station, Im even sure there are members out there who have the stuff lying around their homes that could store it at their station for all to use in an effort to keep everyone fit.

I want to loose weight, and I want to be there for my daughter when she graduates school, gets married and has kids of her own but its hard without help and encouragement. What does everyone else say about this issue?

Stay safe AND healthy.

grumpyff, Bnechis, PEMO3 and 9 others like this

There are grants out there for firefighter health and safety. I believe you can apply for them under SAFER and/or AFG.

There are ways to get equipment, such local gyms or schools. See if they are upgrading to new equipment, often you they will donate their old stuff to you. Even just walking, bike riding, and calisthenics will help, but you are right Moose, you have to have the desire to do it. My doctors tell me all the time I need to work out to improve my back by strengthening my abs, and losing weight. Its hard to it when you just want to go to sleep after a long day of work, or spend time with the family. See if your family or guys at the station want to work out together. I know two of the commands I have worked in have done their own version of "The Biggest Loser". Everyone who participated weighed in on the same scale, and put a small amount of money into a pot, with the winner taking the money, but everyone improved. Also they had fun breaking balls along the way, so be prepared for that as well.

CIG II, PFDRes47cue, x129K and 1 other like this

Moose, I can tell you that you are on the money with your thinking. As a survivor of 2 MIs and overweight myself, it is an every day struggle. As we get older the weight gets harder to get off. It leads to bad backs, joint pain, and other associated injuries not to mention shortening life and never seeing that retirement check.

There are ways to get equipment, such local gyms or schools. See if they are upgrading to new equipment, often you they will donate their old stuff to you. Even just walking, bike riding, and calisthenics will help, but you are right Moose, you have to have the desire to do it. My doctors tell me all the time I need to work out to improve my back by strengthening my abs, and losing weight. Its hard to it when you just want to go to sleep after a long day of work, or spend time with the family. See if your family or guys at the station want to work out together. I know two of the commands I have worked in have done their own version of "The Biggest Loser". Everyone who participated weighed in on the same scale, and put a small amount of money into a pot, with the winner taking the money, but everyone improved. Also they had fun breaking balls along the way, so be prepared for that as well.

I have a small department, but there are 3 of us that live in the same appartment complex, and we have talked about doing family walks with each other in the evenings, which helps.

Busting balls comes with the territory of the brotherhood!! In fact, I thought it was a mandatory requirement for all emergency services personnel?? :rolleyes::lol:

Moose, I can tell you that you are on the money with your thinking. As a survivor of 2 MIs and overweight myself, it is an every day struggle. As we get older the weight gets harder to get off. It leads to bad backs, joint pain, and other associated injuries not to mention shortening life and never seeing that retirement check.

Its to the point now where I am having trouble just getting on the floor (and back up again) to play games with my daughter, or be able to do extended periods of physical activity at fires without feeling like passing out or needing O2. Just yesterday (Easter Sunday ofcourse) we had a large fire involving a large pile of logs and logging debris next to a building housing an outdoor furnace, and it realy affected me just helping the crews stretch and move a couple of 2 1/2" lines into position. I felt myself wanting to just drop to the ground one time, and it realy bothered me.

Physical fitness needs to be addressed in all emergency services levels, including EMS. I worked EMS for 11 years and remember those nights having to carry a person weighing 300 pounds or more down multiple flights of stairs with just two of us because local volunteer fire departments didnt show up for lifting assistance. Getting the person into the back of the rig than having to take a minute to catch my breath and control my breathing before helping the medic... :wacko:

I wanted to take the Firefighter I Course to refresh my knowledge but was afraid I would be the laughing stock of the class full of younger firefighters watching me gasp for air during the hands on portions...

CIG II likes this

Firemoose827: When was the last time you had a full checkup???? You are starting to worry me with your "symptoms", and absolutely do NOT want to read about you in a RIP post - please follow up - you know the warning signs, and the big RED flasher is going off - either that or I am overreacting, but......

Please.

CIG II, Dinosaur, x129K and 1 other like this

Its not all that difficult to make some small changes that will have big impacts on you're health and life in general. Smoking aside, stay away from sugary drinks....for many cutting out soda alone will equate to pounds lost, control you're portion sizes, try and eat a balanced diet w/ fiber, whole grains (i.e. stay away from wonder bread), fruits, veggies and lean protein sources (fish is great, chicken w/o the skin is good too). Space you're meals throughout the day w/ a healthy low-fat snap in between and start reading labels. Also, doing light physical activity like walking is great. You don't need to run 10 miles a day to be fit. Walk a local school track or a favorite trail or road.

I think the biggest thing is that you need to start small and gradually progress. I find as humans many of us tend to want to jump right in and go all or nothing and then we end up giving up a week later. Start w/ adjusting you're diet then maybe add in some light walking and go from there. I'm sure you will be pleased w/ the results. best of luck.

sueg, grumpyff, SRS131EMTFF and 4 others like this

Moose - time for a leave of absense till you are back in full service Brother...

Please consider something less boring than a gym or the related equipment. I have all of that...the Nordic track makes a great Nordic coat rack... Try karate or krav maga type training. You'll run a little, do some situps and pushh ups, but more importantly you'll get your heart rate going enough to burn pounds and build the endurance you need to be good at what you do. And the perk with krav training is that you'll get hit war less often by EDPs and drug addicts looking to fight. Humor me... Www.Kmny.us I gain nothing if you join, but if it jeeps you alive longer, I as the local ER nurse, will be soo happy! My greatest day at work is when I don't have to care for my brothers and sisters. Seriously.

antiquefirelt and Dinosaur like this

Gotta love typing too fast and spell check. Sorry for the war and the jeep. LOL Hopefully you get the jist.

For anyone who may be interested in starting to lose weight the physiology of metabolism is helpful/interesting. As far as balancing calories taken in versus how many we use, by far the most efficient way to lose weight is by eating less. Only 15% of the calories we burn each day are from activity. The other 85% we have no control over. So while exercise is very important, it is equally or more important to eat a healthy balanced diet.

So you want to lose a pound of fat? Here's the math. 1 pound of fat is 3500 calories, so to lose that pound you must either increase your activity level to burn that extra pound or cut out 3500 calories. Cutting out 500 calories a day (7*500 = 3500 ) puts you at a 1 pound a week loss. This level is generally accepted as a safe amount of weight loss.

Stay healthy and stay safe!

s with a topic such as thisthere are a lot of opinions as to what will work .The latest diet fad or excercise program all of which promise great results! the problem being that as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink! We can all try to improve our health via diet and excercise but alot of us have the old the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

The best thing about every diet or exercise plan anyone here and everywhere else will suggest is that they work. Running, lifting weights, crossfit, MMA, walking, eating less, no carbs, all meat, all raw, nothing with a shadow, whatever it is is.

They all have the same fatal flaw. YOU have to stick to it. Do it till you get bored then do something else. Do a bunch of them, or just do one of them. Just do something! Please, do something and get others to join you. Moose and every other member here. None of us are perfect and the sooner you get at it, the easier and more beneficial it is down the road.

Dinosaur, antiquefirelt and sueg like this

Firemoose827: When was the last time you had a full checkup???? You are starting to worry me with your "symptoms", and absolutely do NOT want to read about you in a RIP post - please follow up - you know the warning signs, and the big RED flasher is going off - either that or I am overreacting, but......

Please.

Sueg, I have my annual fire department physicals every year, the last one was in November 2011. I was checked out for class "A" interior, and the doctor told me the only thing she found was the weight and that I was to start thinking about diet and excercise. But they cleared me. I still take it easy though, when possible I am part of the command structure and just do what is needed, but in a small department like mine with only 9 interior qualified firefighters (including officers) its hard to not get active in interior firefighting.

Im watching what I eat now, and going for walks daily with the family and/or using one of those Total Gym units in my house. Im building my way up slowly to get my heart the workout it needs without overdoing it.

Thanks for your concern about me, I will take it easy and go slow for now until I get more conditioning. :)

Moose - time for a leave of absense till you are back in full service Brother...

Believe it or not, I have done that voluntarily before. I have gone right up to my chief and told them that I am going exterior/one bottle only in an emergency until I lose some weight. Some times they just stared at me in shock, others they understood, but I never got any help from any of them or support or guidance. I guess thats why I started this thread, to let everyone know that we should be reaching out to those members that may need better physical conditioning and offering them help and support. Especially those with heart problems already diagnosed and being treated for, those members with known medical issues, and us overweight brothers/sisters. I know that I would not turn down any advice or assistance or encouragement from my brothers and sisters to loose this weight.

Thanks for your replies and concerns everyone, keep them coming and reach out to someone in your department today and offer that encouragement and concern to them as well. We should and CAN change things around if we all work together.

x4093k and sueg like this

Our department has a local Personal Trainer who comes in twice a week and runs 1 hr interval training. Each member pays $10 per session and the department provides the place and equipment. As was noted above, just buying equipment is not enough. We've had numerous machines, bikes, treadmills, benches, etc. but their use was really up to a few self motivated individuals. With our personal trainer, more people have committed to being there twice a week (just a jumping off point). Part of why we can do it on the cheap ($10/pp/hr) is the number of people that come. We've had great response from local trainers as due to job changes, pregnancy or other we've had three different ones all willing to work for peanuts to help out.

While exercise is only one part of losing weight, the other benefits of being fitter are important to firefighters. Just improving balance and core strength helps you stay upright far easier when operating on uneven surfaces, ice, flowing hoses, etc. etc.etc.

Our department has a local Personal Trainer who comes in twice a week and runs 1 hr interval training. Each member pays $10 per session and the department provides the place and equipment. As was noted above, just buying equipment is not enough. We've had numerous machines, bikes, treadmills, benches, etc. but their use was really up to a few self motivated individuals. With our personal trainer, more people have committed to being there twice a week (just a jumping off point). Part of why we can do it on the cheap ($10/pp/hr) is the number of people that come. We've had great response from local trainers as due to job changes, pregnancy or other we've had three different ones all willing to work for peanuts to help out.

While exercise is only one part of losing weight, the other benefits of being fitter are important to firefighters. Just improving balance and core strength helps you stay upright far easier when operating on uneven surfaces, ice, flowing hoses, etc. etc.etc.

Dinosaur likes this

Have you ever had dejavu? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that idea, I can definately check into local trainers that may help us out on a monthly basis at our station. Its hard enough to get people down there for one drill and a meeting every month but when it comes to personal health maybe it would be different. Thanks again.

Have you ever had dejavu? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that idea, I can definately check into local trainers that may help us out on a monthly basis at our station. Its hard enough to get people down there for one drill and a meeting every month but when it comes to personal health maybe it would be different. Thanks again.

When we first decided to try a fitness trainer we hired a local pair who ran two classes a week in the evenings for the whole department at a fixed cost. We made the very first night a normal drill night and used it as a "fitness test" that put a large number of people into a state of shock that they weer so far out of shape they couldn't keep up. Really only those who had a fairly consistent exercises routine or very highly active "passed the test" without struggling. Others kept up but agreed that it was a lot harder than they thought and they felt it for days after. This was the bait and most came to feel it out, of course the number that stuck with it over the years is far less, but those of us that still participate are committed and see a benefit. Those that really did the classes with ease tended not to join the weekly group, and those who needed it the most and had the hardest time, save a few, also didn't come to the weekly program.

Our trainer is great and she changes the routines fairly often to keep them from being boring, but the same few key elements remain: 5-10 minute warm-up, a combination cardio/ strength training circuit for 30-40 minutes and finished out with 10 minutes of ab work and stretches.

As for my personal take, I know the first night nearly killed me and I was in pain for days after. It proved I needed to start doing something more regularly. After the 8 weeks of the City sponsored program I was no longer feeling the painful after aches for days, while the intensity had gradually increased. I'm 100% confident that my recent shoulder surgery and subsequent rehab was far better having kept up the program for the past 6 years. I'm far from athletic still, but my balance had improved greatly which was challenged with my arm in a sling for a month.

This is a great topic and one that's long overdue.

Unfortunately our culture is breeding a stagnant workforce that will spend more time watching TV or surfing the 'net than actually exercising. Case in point, I'm here right now instead of out on my bike that is collecting dust in my basement.

The very nature of our business is working against us also. The hurry to the call and hurry home doesn't afford us any opportunity to workout or get some exercise at the firehouse (if equipment is there to workout on).

It's sad but true - we're our own worst enemies and will avoid doing anything aerobic at all costs. Some skip the physicals or get them pencil whipped so they can keep doing what they want and completely miss the danger signs. Time for us to be more vigilant about our own and breed a new crop of FF that think fitness is part of the job!

First off--even though it has been said before many times-- excellent topic. That can't be said enough.

Second,

Believe it or not, I have done that voluntarily before. I have gone right up to my chief and told them that I am going exterior/one bottle only in an emergency until I lose some weight. Some times they just stared at me in shock, others they understood, but I never got any help from any of them or support or guidance. I guess thats why I started this thread, to let everyone know that we should be reaching out to those members that may need better physical conditioning and offering them help and support. Especially those with heart problems already diagnosed and being treated for, those members with known medical issues, and us overweight brothers/sisters. I know that I would not turn down any advice or assistance or encouragement from my brothers and sisters to loose this weight.

Thanks for your replies and concerns everyone, keep them coming and reach out to someone in your department today and offer that encouragement and concern to them as well. We should and CAN change things around if we all work together.

I'm quite surprised that your superiors were shocked by such a request, and I think they should reconsider how they "play officer". Seriously--kudo's to you for coming to the realization that you may need to go exterior/take it slow. You've achieved the first step in improving yourself and your lifestyle by coming to that realization, and reaching out to your friends on this forum.

Why am I surprised? I'll tell you (and i'm not necessarily picking on you here Moose--this is a general statement. I hope no offence will be taken, based on the fact that you started this post). Obviously, our own health and safety is vitally important to us. If we do not feel comfortable in an environment, or not physically fit to do a task, then we should not do it--especially if both things are the case. However, I do understand that there will most likely be a short in manpower with volunteer departments, so situations may arise in which we are needed, regardless if we cannot perform well. Ignoring my slight digression, the point I am trying to make is that being physically unfit is not only a danger to ourselves, but is also equally dangerous to our fellow brothers and sisters who work with us on a scene. I have a fella' in my department who could lose a good amount of weight, but has made no effort in doing so--they eat like crap (McDonald's, Garden Catoring, etc), and take no initiative to excercise. Not only are we concerned of something happening to them in the field, but also something happening to us BECAUSE something happened to them (i.e., heart-attack while on the line/searching, etc). Not only do we have a fire scene to deal with, but now we have a medical emergency; the fact that it is one of our own only makes matters worse. It's a very difficult fact to realize, but it had to be said, and I have yet to see anyone else on this thread comment about it.

Moose, I congratulate and thank you for bringing this issue to everyone's attention. I hope that this will inspire others to not only follow your lead, but also learn to recognize these problems, and help educate others in achieving a healthier lifestlyle.

sueg, Tapout and firemoose827 like this

First off--even though it has been said before many times-- excellent topic. That can't be said enough.

Second,

I'm quite surprised that your superiors were shocked by such a request, and I think they should reconsider how they "play officer". Seriously--kudo's to you for coming to the realization that you may need to go exterior/take it slow. You've achieved the first step in improving yourself and your lifestyle by coming to that realization, and reaching out to your friends on this forum.

Why am I surprised? I'll tell you (and i'm not necessarily picking on you here Moose--this is a general statement. I hope no offence will be taken, based on the fact that you started this post). Obviously, our own health and safety is vitally important to us. If we do not feel comfortable in an environment, or not physically fit to do a task, then we should not do it--especially if both things are the case. However, I do understand that there will most likely be a short in manpower with volunteer departments, so situations may arise in which we are needed, regardless if we cannot perform well. Ignoring my slight digression, the point I am trying to make is that being physically unfit is not only a danger to ourselves, but is also equally dangerous to our fellow brothers and sisters who work with us on a scene. I have a fella' in my department who could lose a good amount of weight, but has made no effort in doing so--they eat like crap (McDonald's, Garden Catoring, etc), and take no initiative to excercise. Not only are we concerned of something happening to them in the field, but also something happening to us BECAUSE something happened to them (i.e., heart-attack while on the line/searching, etc). Not only do we have a fire scene to deal with, but now we have a medical emergency; the fact that it is one of our own only makes matters worse. It's a very difficult fact to realize, but it had to be said, and I have yet to see anyone else on this thread comment about it.

Moose, I congratulate and thank you for bringing this issue to everyone's attention. I hope that this will inspire others to not only follow your lead, but also learn to recognize these problems, and help educate others in achieving a healthier lifestlyle.

Im glad you brought that up, and I couldnt agree more. I would have said this earlier, but the whole point of starting a topic on these forums is to generate discussion, if I were to put everything down in the first post...no one would reply!! LOL

This is a very important fact about our personal health, as firefighters we should be thinking of the big picture, not just our own hides, but the safety and well being of our fellow firefighters who have to come and rescue us and CARRY us out of the bad situation we get ourselves into because pride and ego get in the way. Especially with our families at home; what would happen to my wife and daughter if I passed at a fire with a massive MI because I was too prideful to admit that I need to be careful??

There is a lot to think about and hopefully this thread is getting some if not all of you to think about your health which in return affects all around you.

Thanks for your reply brother, stay safe.

Moose

sueg likes this

Excellent topic, thanks for starting it Moose. I praise you for being so honest and accepting that changes need to be made. I am currently on a rigorous workout/diet regime. I have done hours of research and so far in three weeks have lost 25 pounds, even with Easter! There are a few things that you should consider doing, that I have been having great success with.

1 - WATER - drink lots of water. If you feel hungry throughout the day, drink water and wait 10 minutes, magically, the hunger goes away but this is only TEMPORARILY.

2 - Walk whenever possible.

3 - Discipline - you need to want to change, you need to fight through hunger urges. When you feel hungry, you most likely are not hungry, go a while without eating and you will soon learn that you can actually survive the hunger pains and train yourself to be less dependent on frequent munching.

4 - Eat more meals but make them smaller. (IE - breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, night snack if needed)

5 - Calculate BMR (Calories you will burn if you stay in bed all day) - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

6 - Understand that one pound of fat is 3500 calories.

7 - Track calories, plan meals for the day, and track exercise using MyFitnessPal - http://www.myfitnesspal.com (Excellent iphone APP available to that allows you to scan barcodes.) You can also enter recipes and figure out nutrition info for each serving. You can set reminders to notify you if you forget to track your info. EXCELLENT TOOL!

8 - Snack on proper food, fruits, veggies, etc. Too much of anything is bad...

9 - Portion size - try eating proper portions, this alone will help.

Some snacks I have found fulfilling and healthy, trail mix, granola bars, yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus, veggies, fruit and much more.

TRY FOR NATURAL OR THE MOST HEALTHY FOOD OPTIONS. (IE NO PRESERVATIVE< ADDITIVES, ETC)

It's a hard journey but their are good resources available. Good luck Brother. PM me is you have any questions.

x4093k, firedude, 210 and 3 others like this

7 - Track calories, plan meals for the day, and track exercise using MyFitnessPal - http://www.myfitnesspal.com (Excellent iphone APP available to that allows you to scan barcodes.) You can also enter recipes and figure out nutrition info for each serving. You can set reminders to notify you if you forget to track your info. EXCELLENT TOOL!

What I really need is a phone app that will yell at me "BACK AWAY FROM THE FOOD YOU FAT BASTARD!!" every time I go in a fast food joint, or the wrong isle in the super market. Is there an app for that?!!! :rolleyes::lol:

I already have an app at home when I go into the cupboards in between meals, its called the W.I.F.E. app, unfortunately it costs a lot to download but offers a lifetimes supply of grief I MEAN great support... :P:D

Thanks for the other info brother, that will all help me. I will take you up on the offer to PM you later with my email address so we can talk back and forth if you dont mind, looks like we are both in the same fight yet you have a head start...you lost 25 pounds and I gained 50 over the Easter weekend!!

Thanks again.

Moose

Excellent topic, thanks for starting it Moose. I praise you for being so honest and accepting that changes need to be made. I am currently on a rigorous workout/diet regime. I have done hours of research and so far in three weeks have lost 25 pounds, even with Easter! There are a few things that you should consider doing, that I have been having great success with.

I'm sure that your aware of this if you have done a lot of research into this area, but this is a lot of weight to lose in a relatively short period of time, physicians generally recommend about 1-2 pounds per week as a reasonable goal. It has also usually more sustainable over the long term. It may be a good idea to talk to your doctor if you haven't already.

Since you brought up the BMR, I wanted to make sure that you were aware that this will change as you lose weight. It will actually decrease to a value that is lower than that of someone who is at any given weight normally. For example, if your lose weight and reach a target weight of 150lbs, your BMR could be 1200cal, while someone who has always weighed 150 will have a BMR of 1500cal. This is the physiological basis of yo-yo dieting, since you will often need to cut out even more calories to maintain your target weight compared to the number of calories cut to reach that weight. You'll need to maintain that weight for at least a year before your body begins to more normally maintain your metabolism around that set point.

Again, you may already be aware of this but I thought it might be helpful as general advice.

PFDRes47cue likes this

I'm sure that your aware of this if you have done a lot of research into this area, but this is a lot of weight to lose in a relatively short period of time, physicians generally recommend about 1-2 pounds per week as a reasonable goal. It has also usually more sustainable over the long term. It may be a good idea to talk to your doctor if you haven't already.

Since you brought up the BMR, I wanted to make sure that you were aware that this will change as you lose weight. It will actually decrease to a value that is lower than that of someone who is at any given weight normally. For example, if your lose weight and reach a target weight of 150lbs, your BMR could be 1200cal, while someone who has always weighed 150 will have a BMR of 1500cal. This is the physiological basis of yo-yo dieting, since you will often need to cut out even more calories to maintain your target weight compared to the number of calories cut to reach that weight. You'll need to maintain that weight for at least a year before your body begins to more normally maintain your metabolism around that set point.

Again, you may already be aware of this but I thought it might be helpful as general advice.

It is normal when starting a weight loss regime to lose a lot of weight at first if the new diet is a large change compared to previous dieting habits. I am consuming the appropriate amount of NET calories each day to lose 6-7 lbs per week with exercising 4 times per week for an hour each session. As the dieting has become the norm, the amount of weight lost has balanced off to a steady rate.

The 1-2 lbs per week is a good rule of thumb for the average person, and as every doctor will say, this is because it limits the chance at regaining back. The reason the weight is gained back most of the time after dieting is because people get sick of the dietary restrictions and revert back to the old eating habits. If you are on pace to lose 1-2 lbs per week then you do not have to change much in terms of dieting, you could simply drop soda from your diet, or late night munching, or simply work out more. These minute changes make you less likely to revert back to old ways. If you have the will power and discipline, you can make drastic changes to your diet, and not revert back to previous habits, thus allowing you to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post so thank you for bringing it up. BMR does in fact change as dieting and weight loss continues. It is important to track your progress and change your diet as needed.

I'm overweight and I know it. Before I went to college I was doing great. I was down to a healthy weight and I felt great. I was doing physical labor working as a groundsman for a tree company. But then I went away for school and I went above and beyond the freshman 15. Between August and my normal yearly physical in October, I gained anywhere near 60 lbs. I've been trying to cut back on what I eat to loose some weight. I know I am overweight but I surprised myself at how much I was able to accomplish at a structure fire last year. But not I've lost that cardio ability. I'm still 250 lbs and I have to catch my breathe walking up stairs or up a hill. But I'm starting to exercise. And I'm hoping to lose 20 lbs by next October but I would really Like to to be more. I don't want to be 23 and have it be determined that I have a heart condition.
x4093k and sueg like this

I'm overweight and I know it. Before I went to college I was doing great. I was down to a healthy weight and I felt great. I was doing physical labor working as a groundsman for a tree company. But then I went away for school and I went above and beyond the freshman 15. Between August and my normal yearly physical in October, I gained anywhere near 60 lbs. I've been trying to cut back on what I eat to loose some weight. I know I am overweight but I surprised myself at how much I was able to accomplish at a structure fire last year. But not I've lost that cardio ability. I'm still 250 lbs and I have to catch my breathe walking up stairs or up a hill. But I'm starting to exercise. And I'm hoping to lose 20 lbs by next October but I would really Like to to be more. I don't want to be 23 and have it be determined that I have a heart condition.

PFDRes47cue had some good advice above in the thread, probably a good place to start if you do want to diet is to figure out how much you are eating and what you are eating. Try to keep a record of everything you eat or drink for one week. Calculate the calories in it, look at other components such as cholesterol, triglycerides. If you identify the areas, such as a lot of soda or late night snacking it might be relatively simple to cut those out. Your right to be concerned about possible medical consequences for obesity. It is one of the most serious risk factors for a host of conditions down the road. Calculate your body mass index (BMI), under 25 is where you want to be. BMI over 25 is correlated with many things (see the list below). The best thing we can do is be proactive at managing our weight and making changes when necessary.

From the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html#Interpreted

• Hypertension
  • Dyslipidemia (for example, high LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides)
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Coronary heart disease
  • Stroke
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Sleep apnea and respiratory problems
  • Some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon

As someone who had a heart attack at 44, I want to tell you that it can happen to anyone. I was 200 lbs and 5'11", no family history but had high cholesterol. I went to the doctor but never took medication for cholesterol. I am now 190 lbs and eat better, snack on fruits alot. Our job is stressful and being in relatively good shape does not cut it all the time. I take meds, work out and go to the doctor and actually listen now. I am self motivated because I never want to go through that again. I hate to run so I try to mix it up alot, one thing I enjoy is climbing stairs in the firehouse, sometimes with the weight vest on. It isnt as boring as running and is actually useful at a job. I was like you in that I needed motivation now I am motivated by fear of it happening again. My Cholesterol has gone from 300 down to 120. It is all a combination of diet, exercise, for me meds, and self control. Everything in moderation now. I have a second chance but I hope that we can get this problem reduced to zero, wishful thinking I guess. Stay safe and listen to your doctor.

conman, PFDRes47cue, JM15 and 3 others like this

1 - WATER - drink lots of water. If you feel hungry throughout the day, drink water and wait 10 minutes, magically, the hunger goes away but this is only TEMPORARILY.

2 - Walk whenever possible.

3 - Discipline - you need to want to change, you need to fight through hunger urges. When you feel hungry, you most likely are not hungry, go a while without eating and you will soon learn that you can actually survive the hunger pains and train yourself to be less dependent on frequent munching.

4 - Eat more meals but make them smaller. (IE - breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, night snack if needed)

5 - Calculate BMR (Calories you will burn if you stay in bed all day) - http://www.bmi-calcu...bmr-calculator/

6 - Understand that one pound of fat is 3500 calories.

8 - Snack on proper food, fruits, veggies, etc. Too much of anything is bad...

9 - Portion size - try eating proper portions, this alone will help.

Some snacks I have found fulfilling and healthy, trail mix, granola bars, yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus, veggies, fruit and much more.

TRY FOR NATURAL OR THE MOST HEALTHY FOOD OPTIONS. (IE NO PRESERVATIVE< ADDITIVES, ETC)

It's a hard journey but their are good resources available. Good luck Brother. PM me is you have any questions.

myfitnesspal really is a great tool. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that it would be cool to keep in touch and support one another. With myfitnesspal I believe you can share your progress with others once you link your profiles.

myfitnesspal really is a great tool. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that it would be cool to keep in touch and support one another. With myfitnesspal I believe you can share your progress with others once you link your profiles.

Yes you can track/share progress with friends. Great tool.