Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
X2321

Brewster Bus Accident

20 posts in this topic

Double-decker bus accident on 684 in Brewster could have been a lot worse. The bus came very close to rolling down an embankment and into a small pond. Brewster and Croton Falls rescues secured the bus with their winches before removing the passengers.

post-654-0-94601600-1342842560.jpg

post-654-0-66344200-1342842594.jpg

post-654-0-14531600-1342842659.jpg

RJB896, BFD1054, firedude and 2 others like this

How many passengers can be on these rolling MCI's?

The 81-passenger, 13.1 feet high, double-decker buses offer free Wi-Fi, power outlets and DVD video capabilities, as well as a panoramic view, comfortable reclining seats, restroom, safety belts and ADA accessibility.

from megabus web site.

efdcapt115 likes this

The picture of the guy in the driver seat holding on to the steering wheel is the best, especially because the tires under him are not on the ground.

2231* likes this

How many passengers can be on these rolling MCI's?

More than most agencies plan for, train for or have the resources to handle.

efdcapt115 and helicopper like this

Great work by the units on scene. I was listening to this call after I saw the initial shoutbox post, they got things secured pretty rapidly. Definitely could have went the other way if not for some quick thinking by the first couple units.

The picture of the guy in the driver seat holding on to the steering wheel is the best, especially because the tires under him are not on the ground.

Reminds me of a joke that never goes away.. "Go on that side it will level it out!" :P

GBFD111 and 2231* like this

I this area (anywhere within a 50 mile radius of NY City) every department should plan on at least 100 victims for MCI planning mostly because tour buses and trains. Even if your department doesn't have a major road or train tracks you need to know how to handle it because you most likely will be called to assist.

Bnechis, PEMO3 and ex-commish like this

And for God's sake - no matter how white and shiny your coat and helmet are - if you want to stand right next to the incident - put your damn bunkers on!

Man, I HATE the jorts and knee sock look with half turnouts! :blink:

JetPhoto and abcxyz like this

I this area (anywhere within a 50 mile radius of NY City) every department should plan on at least 100 victims for MCI planning mostly because tour buses and trains. Even if your department doesn't have a major road or train tracks you need to know how to handle it because you most likely will be called to assist.

I agree but before we run we need to walk and crawl......most agencies have not planned for 10 patients.

JetPhoto and SteveOFD like this

This is vehicle extrication 101 boys. Great work but really nothing extraordinary about it.

Do you really believe this was an extrication 101 call? I am on the job 17 years and have yet to encounter this type of call. Not really sure if they had to extricate any patient from this call but if they had I would bet my pension it was far from " 101 ".

x4093k, x129K, sjc317 and 2 others like this

Do you really believe this was an extrication 101 call? I am on the job 17 years and have yet to encounter this type of call. Not really sure if they had to extricate any patient from this call but if they had I would bet my pension it was far from " 101 ".

Really, what was the big deal here? A vehicle was involved in a collision and ended up in a precarious spot with people inside. The crews arrived on scene, sized up the situation, stabilized the bus and removed (extricated) the patients. Bread and butter, routine, basic stuff. Nothing fancy or out of the ordinary here. The only thing different here is the number of people that needed to be removed.

Extrication doesn't always mean using the jaws.

goon16 likes this

Things would have been a little different if there had been a fire onboard or if the bus landed upside down in a reservoir...there are many possibilities.

x4093k likes this

this accident was nothing like the bus accident in the bx a few years ago....that extrication was far more involved than this one the roof of the bus was basically can opened...with countless traumas...and that was a very technical extrication....this was your simple stablilize and remove the passengers like bull said. So i agree with him extrication 101. just because its a bus it doesnt mean it has to be a technical operation. With your size up you can determine the extent of the operation. you can have passenger car accidents that can be way more involved than this one, would you call that one extrication 101 because its a passenger car rather than a bus? Every run is different and nothing is the same

BBBMF likes this

those arent jorts those are capri's

Too funny. Sandals without socks would work just fine. Sorry. :lol:
x129K likes this

Really, what was the big deal here? A vehicle was involved in a collision and ended up in a precarious spot with people inside. The crews arrived on scene, sized up the situation, stabilized the bus and removed (extricated) the patients. Bread and butter, routine, basic stuff. Nothing fancy or out of the ordinary here. The only thing different here is the number of people that needed to be removed.

Extrication doesn't always mean using the jaws.

I agree that theis was pretty basic, if you have the training and equipment. I have seen many rescues with mounted winches, but not many that carry the slings and/or chain needed to perform this type of basic stabilization.