JetPhoto

Boston Marathon Bombing And Aftermath

35 posts in this topic

Multiple people injured in explosions at finish line.
April 15, 2013

14:45

671 Boylston St

Copley Square
Several IED hidden in garbage cans exploded at the end of the Boston Marathon. Multiple suspected devices are still being found. A full recall of all Boston LEO's is in place Multiple bomb dogs on scene & enroute. Mass. National Guard has been mobilized. Several blocks around ground zero evacuated.

Marathon has been stopped.

Early reports of 3 dead with 30 - 50 victims injured

16:15 Reported Explosion at JFK Library

16:46 Logan Airport has full ground stop in effect

16:50 Boston PD & FBI looking for a large yellow Penske truck that tried to gain entry to the scene and was turned around stated they "had medical supplies"

Prayers for all!

Edited by JetPhoto

State Holiday in Boston, the marathon and the Red Sox usually play. I'm hoping this was a utility issue and not a explosive...I mean you could see a plume of smoke from down the Charles River.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/15/17764747-2-explosions-rock-finish-of-boston-marathon-widespread-injuries-reported?lite

If one thing at all, Boston EMS is very well prepared and trained for situations like this.

The was one explosion at the fishing line, the second occurred ifo the Lenox Hotel up the street. There is beleived to be and being reported that two more unexplored devices found and being dismantled - this last bit is not confirmed as if yet but sounding like on the scanners.

Also a friend of mine who was up there at the finish line area is okay and accounted for.

PCFD ENG58, grumpyff, rfdu39 and 1 other like this

Boston PD has ordered all Off-Duty Officers to report to their Districts.

A 3rd bomb reported had gone off at the JFK Library.

UPDATE: NBC now stating that the explosion at the JFK Library was "Fire-related" in a maintenance room.

Edited by FF398

Updated count is 2 casualties, 68 injured with at least 6 critical. Boston PD have a person of interest whose being guarded by police at a local hospital. The NHL has postponed the hockey game between the Ottawa Senators and the Boston Bruins tonight.

All packages that were left at the race are being considered suspicious just in case.

Local news (WCVB) is reporting cell service in the immediate area has been shut down (one can assume to prevent remote detonation).

Per LT Vance through News 8, CT State Police ESU is sending at least two Bomb Technicians to Boston after a request from the FBI.

Disaster_Guy likes this

Boston's mayor said in a press conference earlier that police are at all the hospitals and the stories of having a suspect were "not true". The NY Post has been reporting a lot of false information in regards to this as well.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/boston-police-no-arrests-have-been-made-in

Morris County, NJ : USAR 8 is reporting an explosion with injuries. A car with an IED attached. Bomb Squad responded. 17:10

I saw some grisly photos of the injured at the Marathon. Apparently when the devices went off there were a lot of really bad injuries. Reminded me of those horrible photos you see in the Middle East.

I'll say a prayer tonight for all concerned. Including the first-responders, this must've been a pretty tough job to work.

I'm hoping it's true that at least one of the devices failed to detonate and was recovered. That should give investigators a lot to work with. I'm certain they'll track these perps down.

x129K likes this

1. On the orders of Westchester County Executive, WC is "on a heightened level of readiness." WCPD Aviation Unit helicopter and WCPD Marine Unit deployed to conduct aerial surveillance of critical infrastructure. WCPD Bomb Squad K-9's are conducting sweeps of County buildings. Security increased in "vital locations" as well as the County Airport. Source.

2. Find recordings of the initial PD and FD radio traffic here.

3. Some pertinent pieces of information from the American Red Cross on how you can help here.

Edited by Larchmont_Boy

It looks like pipe bombs to me. And being that, my guess is this was one of our own home-grown nut jobs.

I pray that those involved are found and killed. There's no justice for what they've done, so killing them in my opinion is the next best option.

Thoughts & prayers to those killed, wounded or otherwise affected by this cowardly act.

x635 likes this

VERY SAD.... God bless Boston and the victims.

1. On the orders of Westchester County Executive, WC is "on a heightened level of readiness."

So does this mean that they (and other public safety agencies in the region) have funded personnel to the levels we had pre & post 9/11?

Many depts are at a lower level since the politicians have laid off or attritioned their agencies to the lowest levels in decades.

FirNaTine, helicopper and grumpyff like this

My thoughts and prayers are with Boston

Thoughts and Prayers to all the victims of the Boston Marathon as well as ems, fire and police personal thank you for you fast responses and running in while everyone was running out. This is becoming a sick world..

As sick as all this is if you watch the video it is imediatly apparent that this is an intentional terrorist act and instead of everyone running away you see both the professional and citizen rescurers taking immediate action to save lives in the face of extreme danger. It is without a doubt the immediate care on scene by bystanders an the rapid and professional care provided by Boston's EMS system and the excellent hospitals saved lives. Be vigilant.

JetPhoto and BFD1054 like this

THoughts and Prayers with all those in Boston!

This is a good time for training officers/division to go over the SOPs regarding Bomb Threat/IED responses if they haven't done so recently. This has been and is the current M.O. for bombmakers, having a 2nd device. Usually though it is timed long enough after the initial blast to draw the First Responders in. 15-20 seconds really wasn't enough time to inflict much injury. I know, many will disagree, but if the 2nd device had gone off 1:30 or 2 minutes after the initial, the bomber would have gotten everyone running from the initial blast. At 15 seconds people were just reacting to the 1st blast.

Dr. David Mooney, the trauma director at Boston Children’s Hospital, said the hospital received 10 patients. By Tuesday, six of them had been released with minor injuries, including a head injury and a femur fracture, but three children remained. One, a 2-year-old with a head injury, was in good condition, but a 9-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy, both with leg injuries, were still in critical condition.

Dr. Mooney, a soft-spoken surgeon who wore a loud Spiderman tie, said the boy and girl would most likely have died at the scene if they had not been given tourniquets there — a method that was frowned upon in medical circles a decade ago but, he said, has come back into favor as surgeons have treated victims of bombings in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“These kids’ lives were saved by the first responders. I don’t know who did it,” Dr. Mooney said. “One was like a rubber strap, like the old science-class rubber tubing — probably a pocket tourniquet. That’s sort of an Iraq and Afghanistan thing, that people have started to re-learn that tourniquets are O.K. Ten years ago, it was a total no-no.”

As evident by the post above, tourniquets saved lives yesterday, no question about it. Please use this time to review your MCI/MCE, Counter-terrorism, trauma, tourniquet and CBRNE protocols.

We have started this process already.

RescueKujo likes this

CNN is reporting an arrest has been made...report is preliminary at this point

JetPhoto likes this

A Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police officer was shot and killed Thursday night at the school's campus, authorities said, triggering a massive display of police force in the Boston area.

Police exchanged gunfire a short time later with one or more persons in Watertown, a city next to Cambridge, a short time after the MIT shooting. At least one and perhaps more explosions were heard in Watertown.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/18/mit-shooting-cop-massachusetts/2095733/

Boston Police scanner: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/6254

Cambridge Police and fire scanner: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/13467

Edited by peterose313

Listening to Boston PD heard a report about 10 minutes ago (2:50am) "the suspect still at large is the one in the photos with the white hat"

local news is reporting MBTA officer also shot.

Massive manhunt in progress for second suspect. Boston, Watertown and surrounding area in lock down.

Boston bus, rail, subway and Amtrak services suspended.

Boston Police is asking that people refrain from posting specific addresses of tactical operations to protect Officer Safety. This guy is online posting threatening messages to the Boston Police, so its not unreasonable to believe he's reading up on the search either. The media is already screwing this up pretty bad but please don't further compromise Boston's operational security by posting addresses of search locations, etc.

UPDATE: Most Boston Police online feeds have been cut for OPSEC purposes.

Edited by SageVigiles
JetPhoto likes this