Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

White Plains firefighters under scrutiny for party photos

42 posts in this topic

It appears like they were on duty, given the radio mic in the photo. But WPFD is required to get up at 2AM and do fire code compliance checks on all bars and nightclubs in White Plains.

The title of this story is completly ridiculous. First of all, THE JOURNAL NEWS took the photos, and from what I understand, their "MetroMix" photographers get in everyones faces to take photos of as many people as they can. When you have uniformed firefighters walk through a crowded bar full of drunk women, they are most likely going to attract attention. The Journal News took the photo, and then printed a story about it. They even acknowleged the firefighters were there doing a compliance check. They had the choice not to publish the photo, and to not publish the story. It's almost like a setup.

This is only an issue because the Journal News made it an issue. Absolutely ridiculous. What do they expect when the firefighters walk through a crowded bar full of drunk women? Doesn't look like a pose to me, looks like the firefighter could have been grabbed and suprised by the photo, or maybe he knows the person.

WPFD does the best they can to keep these people from suffering from tragic incidents that occur at bars and nightclubs by getting up at 2 in the morning to do these compiance checks. They are keeping the bargoers safe. Where's the article on that????

White Plains firefighters under scrutiny for party photos

By Richard Liebson • rliebson@lohud.com • October 10, 2009

Two White Plains firefighters are under investigation after they posed for photographs at a lingerie party at the Thirsty Turtle bar last week.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20091010/NEWS...or-party-photos

Skelly of the JN/MetroMix..100 percent.

Hope the Admins of the WPFD realize there is nothing that half naken, drunk women love MORE than a fireman...

In my opinion if they werent drinking, they were doing nothing wrong. If the city wants them to enter a crowded bar at 2am to do an inspection, they are subject to this kind of behavior. Posing for a picture shouldnt be reprimanded.

Well said TL2L31!

These guys go out at 2AM to check for overcrowding and to make sure the fire exits are clear. Some photographer employed by the Journal News gets this photo, and the Journal News then makes an issue of it. It's kind of like framing the firefighter for a story.........is this what the paper has come down to?

I don't see anything wrong in this picture. A FF is doing an occupancy check, a nice young lady thanks him with a kiss.

Are you going to start criticizing every cop and fireman that gets a thank you? It's nothing more then a handshake if you ask me. Only better! :lol:

Please.

Now, if he was doing a shot off of her.... that's a different (and cooler :D ) story.

What bugs me even more is the fact that the article said the two women requested that the picture be removed. Then then Journal News publishes an article on it. Freggin Rag Journalism.

You cant stop someone from taking a photo, so in essence the only thing they were doing wrong was smiling and not blocking the shot with their hand. its fine to smile for a photograph instead of cause bad PR from getting mad at the photographer and possibly creating problems in the bar with a ton of drunk people. Putting myself in there position, I know I would want to smile for her, so I can't blame them.

In my opinion if they werent drinking, they were doing nothing wrong. If the city wants them to enter a crowded bar at 2am to do an inspection, they are subject to this kind of behavior. Posing for a picture shouldnt be reprimanded.

If nothing else, it just PROVES that these FF were in fact doing their job (the occupancy/fire inspections). WPFD Brass said they knew about the photos, nothing is mentioned about any suspensions or anything punitive (at this time at least).

While I do not live near, receive, nor subscribe to the JN, I still call poor taste, and say to the JN "Shame on you for trying to sensationalize this."

2 Thumbs Down JN!

[/rant]

I really have a problem with discussions like this. Already this is turning into a whole lot of group think and i don't think anyone has hit the central issue.

Anyone who is employed or volunteers in the public safety sector should know to conduct him/herself as if someone were taking pictures and/or video taping their actions. These two guys made a bonehead move to get a bit too involved with the late night atmosphere and got caught - clearly a lapse in professionalism. Now, this lapse may been momentary, but however momentary it is a lapse.

While i agree their actions were harmless and not ill-intentioned, someone needs to reminds them that someone is always watching.

Hopefully this all blows over for them quickly and without any further complication.

Edited by Goose

Goose, your post clearly shows that you don't understand the situation.

These guys were in a crowded bar, doing compliance checks and code enforcement. There was a MetroMix (Journal News) photographer there, taking photos of everything. It looks to me like the girl grabbed the FF unexpectedly and the photo was taken. If you see the photos on their site, they obviously snap away at everything and anything, and set up a lot of shots....who knows what he told the shot girl to do? It obviously was not a posed, set up shot.

If you were on an EMS call in a crowded bar, and some intoxiated female hugged you while trying to get through the crowded enviroment and a photo was taken and published on a media website, would you be calling yourself unprofessional and a bonehead???? Are you really in the position to make those claims?

Your unfounded insults, accusing them of being "unprofessional" and "boneheads" makes you look ignorant to the situation. They didn't get too "involved" in the late night scene, the only way they got involved was by doing their jobs-every Thurs, Fri, and Sat night they are required by department policy to go out and do code enforcement in these places to prevent tragedy. White Plains firefighters conduct themselves very professionally in public, and for the newspaper to make an issue of this is dispicable, especially when they BRIEFLY notate in the article what they are there for.

As far as your comment regarding this discussion, you obviously don't understand the "central issue", so how can you accuse others of not "hitting" it? I find your post to be very arrogant, you are not an expert on every issue, and you claiming that you have a "problem" with this discussion is absolutely ridiculous and perplexing.

I really have a problem with discussions like this. Already this is turning into a whole lot of group think and i don't think anyone has hit the central issue.

Anyone who is employed or volunteers in the public safety sector should know to conduct him/herself as if someone were taking pictures and/or video taping their actions. These two guys made a bonehead move to get a bit too involved with the late night atmosphere and got caught - clearly a lapse in professionalism. Now, this lapse may been momentary, but however momentary it is a lapse.

While i agree their actions were harmless and not ill-intentioned, someone needs to reminds them that someone is always watching.

Hopefully this all blows over for them quickly and without any further complication.

Goose... your dead wrong here. Interacting with the public is a part of all of our jobs. Hell... some departments have entire divisions devoted to public relations. If people want to take pictures with MOS then go for it. It is great PR!!!. As far as the discussion issue... they did nothing wrong.. if anything they interacted with the public which is part of their jobs.

By the tone of your post you seem like you are above repoach... As much as I hate to agree with X635 (j/k bro).. I do agree that it appears arrogant.

Why whould they send in young firefighters like him at 2am into a bar when they can send old farts like me ?

Good post Seth!

If you never been blindsided by a drunk hottie sporting her Victoria's finest..I am here to tell you...you never get used to it!

Well said Seth and Kenny it is obvious that some people often make frivolous comments about posts on this site

Edited by scod601

These two guys made a bonehead move to get a bit too involved with the late night atmosphere and got caught - clearly a lapse in professionalism. Now, this lapse may been momentary, but however momentary it is a lapse.

Dude, please tell me you are kidding!

These two guys made a bonehead move to get a bit too involved with the late night atmosphere and got caught - clearly a lapse in professionalism. Now, this lapse may been momentary, but however momentary it is a lapse.

I think you made a momentary lapse in judgement, you seem to always like to play "devils advocate"- but calling them boneheads went too far. You need to retract or apologize. I don't post often on here or get involved in debates, but that comment was competly out of line.

These guys should be applauded, not "scrutinized".

The Journal News should hire more Frank Becerra's. Now he's a real Photographer!

The photos were not taken by a Journal News photographer. The photos were taken by a person who works for a company called Metromix. If you google Metromix you will see that they supply newspaper websites throughout the country with content such as restaurant reviews and party photos, mostly T & A photos. These two firefighters did nothing wrong. The newspaper did a story because someone outside the newspaper thought this was a big deal and contacted one of the big bosses, and convinced them that a story should be done. The reporter did not want to write the story, knowing it was no big deal, but when your boss tells you to do something, you have to do it.

I agree, in this day and age, unfortunately we all have to be aware that every action we knowingly take, and even some we don't is now subject to scrutiny by photos on the net etc... bottom line here it seems that this duty might be better served by a fire marshal or code inspector in business professional attire as opposed to an on duty company. As for the pictures, unfortunate that an issue has been brought up, but perhaps it would be best since the firemen are in enforcement capacity that they should not be taking or allowing photographs. A simple "I'm sorry ma'am we're working right now" might have done the trick.

Some of you think they weren't posing? One of them was getting a kiss on the cheek while covering the patch on his chest while looking into the camera! Doesn't look as if they were trying to move away! These guys could have very easily said no to a kiss, hug, or a picture. They are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL!

Pretty convientent for them to do an occupancy check during a LINGERIE PARTY!!

I can tell you this, if I WAS WORKING AND A PICTURE WAS TAKEN OF ME GETTING A KISS AT A BAR I would most definitley be suspended. I don't want to see that happen, but now that the MEDIA has a hold of this you can guarantee they are gonna keep this all over the place!

Some of you think they weren't posing? One of them was getting a kiss on the cheek while covering the patch on his chest while looking into the camera! Doesn't look as if they were trying to move away! These guys could have very easily said no to a kiss, hug, or a picture. They are supposed to be PROFESSIONAL!

I can tell you this, if I WAS WORKING AND A PICTURE WAS TAKEN OF ME GETTING A KISS AT A BAR I would most definitley be suspended. I don't want to see that happen, but now that the MEDIA has a hold of this you can guarantee they are gonna keep this all over the place!

Rob - the lady OBVIOUSLY GRABBED him, catching him off guard....he wasnt covering the patch, he was securing the radio strap so it didn't swing wildly and injur someone, thus saving the City from a multi-million dollar lawsuit...he is smiling because he is a FIREMAN...AND HAS THE BEST DAMN JOB IN THE WORLD!

At least thats is how I see it...K.

Rob - the lady OBVIOUSLY GRABBED him, catching him off guard....he wasnt covering the patch, he was securing the radio strap so it didn't swing wildly and injur someone, thus saving the City from a multi-million dollar lawsuit...he is smiling because he is a FIREMAN...AND HAS THE BEST DAMN JOB IN THE WORLD!

At least thats is how I see it...K.

Finally an answer that makes the most sense. I guess all those Mon Mornings on Medic 2 you actually did learn something from me!! A line from Family Feud, GOOD ANSWER, GOOD ANSWER!!

They mostly all bars on Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and during special events, such as New Years. Regardless of whatever type of event is being held. They could be sleeping in their beds, like most other career firefighters, but they are out doing code enforcement instead. That is PROFESSIONAL. That is their department policy. And the photo's completly innocent. If a firefighter did a "buddy shot" with a male, would anyone even care? Those types of photos are taken all the time. What's next, child molestation because a firefighter was photographed lifting a child into a firetruck? Like we did with this photo, a million things can be assumed.

As far as a Cop getting hugged, that's a completly different story. I don't know about NY, but handshakes during intial contact and hugs are strictly forbidden for officer safety reasons.

And I figured the writer didn't want to write the story-but the JN or someone else forced him to. It's sad what the Journal News is making it's journalists and photojournalists do. But the newspaper industry is hurting, and I guess they'll sink to whatever level they can to sell papers.

They mostly all bars on Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights and during special events, such as New Years. Regardless of whatever type of event is being held. They could be sleeping in their beds, like most other career firefighters, but they are out doing code enforcement instead. That is PROFESSIONAL. That is their department policy. And the photo's completly innocent. If a firefighter did a "buddy shot" with a male, would anyone even care? Those types of photos are taken all the time. What's next, child molestation because a firefighter was photographed lifting a child into a firetruck? Like we did with this photo, a million things can be assumed.

As far as a Cop getting hugged, that's a completly different story. I don't know about NY, but handshakes during intial contact and hugs are strictly forbidden for officer safety reasons.

And I figured the writer didn't want to write the story-but the JN or someone else forced him to. It's sad what the Journal News is making it's journalists and photojournalists do. But the newspaper industry is hurting, and I guess they'll sink to whatever level they can to sell papers.

They are out doing code enforcement because they need to justify having a job. Lets face it, WPFD isn't doing runs around the clock like some other jobs are!! I know both of these FF's. I think it is pretty funny but other don't. People want to see their tax money going to something else other than FF's getting hugs and kisses from some pretty woman in lingerie!!

They are out doing code enforcement because they need to justify having a job. Lets face it, WPFD isn't doing runs around the clock like some other jobs are!! I know both of these FF's. I think it is pretty funny but other don't. People want to see their tax money going to something else other than FF's getting hugs and kisses from some pretty woman in lingerie!!

*DISCLAIMER*

The above post was made via mobile device between writing parking tickets......

........to justify one's job.

:D

*DISCLAIMER*

The above post was made via mobile device between writing parking tickets......

........to justify one's job.

:D

I wish I could post from my phone! Haven't figured that one out yet! At least writing tickets generates revenue for my town! How does going out at 2am and getting hugs and kisses in the bars in White Plains generating revenue for their City?

How does going out at 2am and getting hugs and kisses in the bars in White Plains generating revenue for their City?

Its not about revenue, it is about ensuring the safety of people visiting these establishments. There have been many nightclub tragedies due to overcrowding and/or fires across the nation. WPFD is out there trying to make sure this doesn't happen iin White Plains.