Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Protester Dangling Beneath Tappan Zee Bridge

77 posts in this topic

Supposedly rescue workers are a little perplexed as to what they ought to do cuz they're not used to this sort of thing when it comes to the tzb. Rockland Tech Rescue is on scene but they're still trying to game plan as to how to go about this and such, especially since it doesn't appear this guy even wants to be rescued.

Apparently, this guy is REALLY pissed off at Rockland County government, according to News 12.

he seems low, cut the line, and pick him up in the water.

He's about 75 feet above the water, still quite a drop...

He will want to be rescued when he runs out of food or when it gets cold tonight..... Let him hangout till then

He's about 75 feet above the water, still quite a drop...

True, it seems lower on the video.

On a side note, I've done cliff dives from 75 feet, it only hurts a little.(cut it!)

Why can't they get a winch and pull him up?

This fool only put his message on one side of the banner. The shots they showed only showed the back of his banner, the side without his message!

x129K likes this

This fool only put his message on one side of the banner. The shots they showed only showed the back of his banner, the side without his message!

Absolutely the right call, don't give him the satisfaction. Have 1 maintenance guy go up to the cable with a pair of bolt cutters. I'll bet you that idiot will climb up faster than anything. Either that or its #OccupyTheHudson...

x129K likes this

He is now on the flip side of Rockland's mental health establishment.... He went from being a former employee to becoming a patient

efdcapt115 and SageVigiles like this

You'd be crazy to try and get him if doesn't want to be rescued. Once he's compliant it's a relatively straight forward rope rescue. Only question is up or down.

Just leave him !!! Open the road sit some cops up above, a boat down below and go on with the day. He falls, he falls -- he climbs up lock him up. DONE

BFD1054 likes this

Absolutely the right call, don't give him the satisfaction. Have 1 maintenance guy go up to the cable with a pair of bolt cutters. I'll bet you that idiot will climb up faster than anything. Either that or its #OccupyTheHudson...

It is good that we can chuckle at this misguided individuals plight. However on a serious note, by this idiot’s actions, he is putting the lives of the responders and others at risk. Fortunately, this type of incident is a rarity.

My thoughts and prayers are not with the protester but with the rescuers who have to put them selves in harms way waiting for this idiot to call it a day or have to rescue him.

x129K and BFD1054 like this

I'd say bring that barrier thing out, and just split the bridge 3 lanes in both directions, and have the 7th lane for the pd cars and rigs. No impeding in traffic.

I'd say bring that barrier thing out, and just split the bridge 3 lanes in both directions, and have the 7th lane for the pd cars and rigs. No impeding in traffic.

Maybe the rocking of the ladder with the wind and the drone of the draffic on the bridge will lull him to sleep. Would be a shame if he dozed off and fell. One good thing, less paperwork.

newsbuff likes this

It is good that we can chuckle at this misguided individuals plight. However on a serious note, by this idiot’s actions, he is putting the lives of the responders and others at risk. Fortunately, this type of incident is a rarity.

My thoughts and prayers are not with the protester but with the rescuers who have to put them selves in harms way waiting for this idiot to call it a day or have to rescue him.

My comments did not attempt to trivialize the actions of the Rockland County Tech-Rescue Team. I'm sure they are doing their best in what is definitely a delicate operation. I'm simply commenting (albeit sarcastically and with a little dark humor) on the stupidity and selfishness of one individual who PUT that team in harm's way in the first place.

If he doesnt want to or isnt ready to come on just leave him there. He isnt a threat to anyone at this time why put rescuers at risk. Just postion a boat downstream to keep him under observation until he becomes a risk to himself and others. Also start the billing clock for the boat,the fuel, and the crew to send to this knucklehead, or put a lien on properties owned by him to recover these unnevessary costs created by his foolish publicity stunt

Edited by grumpyff
SageVigiles and BFD1054 like this

My comments did not attempt to trivialize the actions of the Rockland County Tech-Rescue Team. I'm sure they are doing their best in what is definitely a delicate operation. I'm simply commenting (albeit sarcastically and with a little dark humor) on the stupidity and selfishness of one individual who PUT that team in harm's way in the first place.

According to the Rockland DES, their Technical Rescue Team is not involved in this operation; it is strictly a State Police operation using Mobile Response Team personnel from Newburgh and Albany.

Subject now in custody aboard Yonkers PD safeboat being taken to shore.

props to the emergency workers on this call and glad that no one else got hurt..although this guy put alot of lives at risk

According to the Rockland DES, their Technical Rescue Team is not involved in this operation; it is strictly a State Police operation using Mobile Response Team personnel from Newburgh and Albany.

Subject now in custody aboard Yonkers PD safeboat being taken to shore.

I stand corrected. Great job by NYSP MRT and YPD Marine Unit!

It was originally reported that a NYSP helicopter landed in the SB lanes to drop of the MRT. Is this true? Also, what marine units were on scene? Heard Ossining, Yonkers and County PD were on scene. Anyone else?

News 12 coverage was so bad!! Brian Conybear should be ashamed at what he was talking about! I would have left the guy hanging and went on my way!

helicopper likes this

I hope they make this idiot foot the bill for the recources he tied up for his nonsense!

Im sure he's in custody by now, but... I say next time we leave them until they rebuild the new bridge....

This guy may have some mental health issues he needs to deal with. But on the other hand, he must be somewhat compitent to pull this stunt off.

As other members have said, its just ridiculous that he put many lives at risk and wasted numerous resources (lots of $$$).

Unfortunatley, he got exactly what he wanted - PUBLICITY and media coverage up the wazoo!

"Davitt, 54, of Garnerville, has attended numerous meetings of the Rockland County Legislature, where he repeatedly alleged he was wrongly fired from his county mental health job."

Irony much?