Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bnechis

New Rochelle reduces minimum staffing for Fire Department, cites finances

83 posts in this topic

Talk of the Sound

With Elections Over, City of New Rochelle Set to Announce Across the Board Cuts, 6 Firefighters to be Axed

The City of New Rochelle will announce this morning significant cuts in staff and services as City Manager Charles B. Strome prepares to deliver a municipal budget based on Governor Andrew Cuomo's 2% Tax Levy Cap, sources say.

The 2010 budget will eliminate all crossing guards, 6 firefighters will be laid off and there will be some staff cuts at City Hall.

Barry,I commented on FB that the cuts never hit the political appointees that suck at the public trough and get better $$$ than Fire Fighters and other city workers and never have to worry about getting cut!!!

Sorry to hear that Barry! Shades of 35 or so years ago. Bad for the troops then, and still bad now.

chiefhac

BFD1054 likes this

Sorry to hear that Barry! Shades of 35 or so years ago. Bad for the troops then, and still bad now.

chiefhac

Thanks Chief. Yes in the mid 1970's, but also in the early 1990's.

Whats really sad is they understand that these cost savings will drive our injury rate up and it will actually cost the taxpayers more than they will save by this budget proposal.

Lo-Hud Article

BFD1054 likes this

Perhaps all the newly elected people should cut their pay in the name of public safety and to save the jobs of all these individuals. They all say we have to understand the financial burden but they never seem to have to suffer with everyone else.

Thanks Chief. Yes in the mid 1970's, but also in the early 1990's.

Whats really sad is they understand that these cost savings will drive our injury rate up and it will actually cost the taxpayers more than they will save by this budget proposal.

Lo-Hud Article

Sorry to hear about this...6 guys is a lot. That's a really big hit. I love the mentality...well, money is a little tight, so we should make the neighborhoods less safe.

All of these politicians love this new, "do more with less" catch phrase. I'm sure that for the 4th year in a row, NYC will look to close companies.

We don't do more with less. We do the job we can with the manpower they provide us with. I'm looking out for me and the people I work with, I'm going home everyday and so are they. Everything else comes second.

BFD1054, tglass59 and 99subi like this

I think one of the problems is the City Manager form of government itself. These so-called professional managers, seem to be nothing but professional hack-men, who have no connections to the community that they serve.

I hate to say it but let's be real fellows we are many times our own worst enemy. All you ever hear during these times and when negotiating a contract with these City officials is the number of guys who are out on 207a. It's not so much the members fault I guess because it was the Conference of Mayors who agreed on this disability package and has made it so easy to obtain, so why not try and get out for a hangnail. Maybe the City should start hiring Private Investigators to follow up on these cases like other States do and if 207a members are found of cheating the system incarcerate the bums and there you'll have the $$$$$ to prevent such layoffs. Maybe it's also time for all members of all the Locals to bring back the ole "peer pressure" and embarass some of the phonies out there from even filing. If your legitamately hurt then fine you deserve it but if your caught scamming you deserve what you get. I thought our Job was a "Brotherhood". BTW how many guys does NRFD have out on 207a?

Edited by FirNaTine
MUDMEDIC, x129K, jd783 and 1 other like this

Sorry to hear about this...6 guys is a lot. That's a really big hit.

We had 168 in 2008, with attrition we are down to 151, take these 6 positions and 3 more attrition positions in 2012 we will be at 142.

In 1974 we had 198 and they were responding to about 900 runs per year. We are now running between 8,000 and 9,000 per year.

If this budget passes, we will be at our lowest manning since the 1930's and our highest call volume in our history.

Speaking of History........2011 is our 150th Anniversary.

Alpinerunner likes this

I think one of the problems is the City Manager form of government itself. These so-called professional managers, seem to be nothing but professional hack-men, who have no connections to the community that they serve.

It has nothing to do with that. As we have seen Mayors do the same.

The real issue here is Albany. They have no problem giving us mandates and this year they are very proud to have given us the tax cap. They claimed we would not have layoffs, even though the Mayors & Managers associations both said we would.

I wrote about this 3 years ago in the consolidation study, that if they ever passed the cap, we would have layoffs, and a lot of people did not want to listen.

Maybe the City should start hiring Private Investigators to follow up on these cases like other States do and if 207a members are found of cheating the system incarcerate the bums and there you'll have the $$ to prevent such layoffs. Maybe it's also time for all members of all the Locals to bring back the ole "peer pressure" and embarass some of the phonies out there from even filing. If your legitamately hurt then fine you deserve it but if your caught scamming you deserve what you get. I thought our Job was a "Brotherhood". BTW how many guys does NRFD have out on 207a?

I'm one of the guys that went out on 207a. I got injured by the negligence of the NRPD. I had a 6 hour surgery and have 2 metal plates in my neck. The City of New Rochelle is saving money by refusing to pay for my continue medical care. They have spent 10 X's the money not paying my medical bills then if they just paid it. I was told by the city managers if I really need continued care to use my own medical insurance.

As to your statement about peer pressure. I was "ratted out" by a captain who in his opinion I was scamming. He thought he heard my voice on the radio of a vollie dept. He told the commissioner and a letter of the captains opinion was placed in my file and I was ordered back to work "light duty". He made a mistake, it wasn't me. So be careful if you think someone is scamming. You better be right.

SOUSGT and PCFD ENG58 like this

I'm one of the guys that went out on 207a. I got injured by the negligence of the NRPD. I had a 6 hour surgery and have 2 metal plates in my neck. The City of New Rochelle is saving money by refusing to pay for my continue medical care. They have spent 10 X's the money not paying my medical bills then if they just paid it. I was told by the city managers if I really need continued care to use my own medical insurance.

As to your statement about peer pressure. I was "ratted out" by a captain who in his opinion I was scamming. He thought he heard my voice on the radio of a vollie dept. He told the commissioner and a letter of the captains opinion was placed in my file and I was ordered back to work "light duty". He made a mistake, it wasn't me. So be careful if you think someone is scamming. You better be right.

Like I said if you deserve it then you should get it. Never said there weren't guys out there with legitimate injuries but for everyone that's justified, there's one that's not and we all know that's a fact. These scam artists make us all look bad and should be dealt with accordingly. This is the reason why many outsiders look at us the way they do and those in the Private Sector really don't feel sorry for those of us gettin laid off cause many of them are in the same boat to. In fact I've heard many in the general public say stop your complainig you'll have plenty of time now to work your "B Job". And ya know what, for the most part they're right. The Job has gone in the shitter and seems to be now more of an inconvenience for members then a Profession. They put the Fire Service on the back burner and everything else comes first.

Thanks Chuck And Noam, I Suggest You Both Purchase Some Turn-Out Gear So You Can Respond To The First Hi-Rise Apartment Fire In Place Of Ladder 12, You ARE Playing Russian Roulette With People's Lives And Have Devastated A Once Proud And Well-Equipped Fire Department. A One Million Dollar Rescue Truck Gathers Dust In Station 1 After You Promised To Man It With 1 Officer And 1 Firefighter. Engine 23 Is Falling Apart And NEEDS To Be Replaced. In Addition Ladder 12 Covers The West End Of New Rochelle Which Is Densely Populated And Has MANY, MANY Buildings 75-100 Years Old With Close Proximity. I Would Advise The Taxpayers Of The Once ' QUEEN CITY OF THE SOUND ' To Protest These Fire Department Cuts Which Will Surely ENDANGER Many Lives !!!!!!!!!!

You have 142 firefighters for the City of New Rochelle alone? Wow!

You have 142 firefighters for the City of New Rochelle alone? Wow!

Please elaborate on this comment. Do you think that is a lot? A little?

If and when people get hurt or killed let their blood be on the city and the mayor. Look after each other and make it home after each tour.

Chris

Bnechis and BFD1054 like this

Is it four members per apparatus, plus the DC and his Aide?

No, 3 members per (plus DC & Aide). We use to have 4 on engines (3 on trucks) until the layoffs 20 years ago. Back then we were doing about 4,000 calls/yr. they cut the Engine manning by 25% and now we have doubled the call volume.

Why do injury rates go up when manpower is reduce?

When we operated with 4 member engines: The average amount of weight carried by each member when operating in standpipe buildings (we have over 500 of these) was 127 pounds. Thats including: Turnouts, SCBA and standpipe equipment.

With 3 member engines: The average amount of weight carried by each member when operating in standpipe buildings is 154 pounds.

We still need the same equipment to do the job, but with less personnel, each member is carrying 27 additional pounds and walking up 4-6 stories.

Knees & backs can't take 20+ years of this.

Please elaborate on this comment. Do you think that is a lot? A little?

It just seems like a lot compared to the cities up this way.

RBFD4 likes this

Since our population (and area) is more than 3 times the size of the cities in Orange county, one would consider it is needed.

What cities "up your way" are similar in size and demographics to New Rochelle?

Are those cities adequately manned? If so, what are you basing your opinion on?

I would hope that as you offer your opinion on what constitutes proper manning for a profession you apparently know little about in a city you seem to know even less about that there are real Firefighters who are likely going to be losing their livelihood there and the rest will be left to pick up the slack.

Dinosaur, 791075, efdcapt115 and 1 other like this

Im assuming if this happens a Engine or Ladder is getting cut too??

Im assuming if this happens a Engine or Ladder is getting cut too??

Yes one of 3 ladder companies

Yes one of 3 ladder companies

that is crazy

How was the PD negligent?

How was the PD negligent?

NRPD hired an individual that did not have a drivers license. His hiring was contingent on him securing a valid NYS drivers license by the end of the academy, which he did. He was on the street less then 6 months when he crashed his RMP into NRFD Eng. 24. Eng. 24 was on the way to drop off paperwork at Sta 2 when NRPD Sector 2 crashed into Eng 24 while the engine was making a right hand turn. The engine was hit on the right front wheel and the RMP pushed the engine 7 feet. The police officer had no driving experience at all and was allowed to get behind the wheel of an emergency vehicle. The RMP was estimated to have hit the engine at 56 MPH (accident investigation estimate).

Its not getting any easier for any of us. Sorry to see the brothers in NR having to deal with this as well.

Lo Hud

Beginning today, the New Rochelle Fire Department's minimum staffing level will be 24 firefighters, down from 27.

Talk of The Sound

Cuts to New Rochelle Fire Department Begin This Week, Ladder-12 to Close

This was originally only threatened under the 2012 proposed budget. But it was pushed up and is now in effect.

Are the cities in Orange County adequately staffed? What is their staffing?

Newburgh is about 4 sm with 28,886 people, Middletown is 5.1 sm with 28,086 people, and Port Jervis is only about 2.5 sm with 8860 people. Port Jervis is a volunteer department so what's with Newburgh and Middletown?

How many members do they have?