FDNY 10-75

(Delivered) Hazmat 1

15 posts in this topic

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: FDNY

Unit designation/identifier: Hazardous Materials Company 1

Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: Ferrara Ultra

Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length: 0/0

sfrd18 likes this

Looks great. Good luck to the guy's and gal's of HM Co. # 1 with their new ride!

Nice shot! How many HM rigs are stored at Haz-Mat. 1's quarters w/Squad 288? I'd assume just the main rig?

Nice shot! How many HM rigs are stored at Haz-Mat. 1's quarters w/Squad 288? I'd assume just the main rig?

Main piece and 2nd piece.

It looks bigger than the old one. Also, are they getting a new second piece? I thought I heard something about it...possibly even on a custom chassis

How many runs does HM1 do a year? I'd imagine they put a TON of miles on the rig being the only dedicated HAZMAT company in the city.

It looks bigger than the old one. Also, are they getting a new second piece? I thought I heard something about it...possibly even on a custom chassis

The guys at hazmat told me its coming from Ferrara and its even bigger.

firedude likes this

Not sure about this, maybe a NYC Brother can help us out. The Haz-Mat protocols in the city; does NYPD play a bigger role in that now when compared to say before 9/11? Did the "normal" response protocols for Haz-Mat change in the wake of that, and would that explain the fairly low number of runs for HM-1?

Maybe this has been discussed before, and I missed it.

Safe ops with the new rig, members of HM-1.

HazMat is an especially contentious issue in NYC because technically the NYPD is the lead agency until the incident is determined to not be terrorism or criminal. However the FDNY is still to be in charge of decontamination and mitigation. NYPD frequently does not notify FD of suspected HazMat calls while they investigate them. This is not speculation, since I started working in Manhattan I have witnessed this on multiple occasions. This has been going on for years though. 9/11 hasn't changed anything, as HM1 is probably busier now than it was before.

The volume seems about right. The truck takes an inordinate amount of abuse for the sheer number of miles it covers.

Fire Chiefs Claim Cop Commanders Hinder Them At Emergencies

Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 4:15 pm | Updated: 4:16 pm, Mon Jul 9, 2012.

By SARAH DORSEY | 0 comments

Police commanders frequently prevent firefighters from doing their jobs properly during emergencies, ignoring protocols set up after 9/11 to ensure that the two agencies cooperate effectively, Fire Chiefs said in a 2008 survey published last year.

Nearly 200 Chiefs were asked about the Citywide Incident Management System (CIMS), which was established in 2004 after the 9/11 Commission found that poor coordination between agencies hampered rescue efforts during the terrorist attacks. The program dictates which agency takes command in emergencies, with the FDNY leading technical-rescue operations and the NYPD commanding hazardous-materials incidents until criminal intent or terrorism is ruled out. Other agencies, such as the Department of Health and the Department of Environmental Protection, often also advise the first-responders.

http://thechiefleader.com/news/news_of_the_week/fire-chiefs-claim-cop-commanders-hinder-them-at-emergencies/article_0d442094-c9cf-11e1-8f17-001a4bcf6878.html

fire2141 and tglass59 like this

Generally, airbags for hazmat are 3 types:

1) pipe plugs (inflate inside to seal a pipe, often used to keep spills out of pipes)

post-4072-0-31797500-1367671095.jpg

post-4072-0-26819800-1367671115.jpg

2) patches (wrap around a leaking tank and presurize to maintain product in the tank

post-4072-0-51899200-1367671140.jpg

3) low/medium pressure bags to lift a truck/tanker to an upright position.post-4072-0-90922700-1367671170.jpg

SageVigiles, FF398 and JM15 like this