Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Troopers Honored for Fighting Fire

87 posts in this topic

The only thing that this thread is going to accomplish is a percentage increase of ffs getting speeding tickets from troopers. The discussion should be focused on the lack of manpower on the fire dept.

SageVigiles, x129K, Bnechis and 1 other like this

No matter what anyone says, the IC made a COMMAND DECISION, and utilized whatever resources he had available at the time. What would be the difference between setting up a master stream and leaving it flowing unattended, versus putting those fine gentlemen in charge of a hoseline (aside from the fact that a master stream shouldn't be left unattended)?

I applaud the IC recognizing that help was needed and seeking the assistance, and even more, thumbs up to the Purple Ties for rising to the task. They very easily could have said "not my job" and gone and secured a perimeter/the scene (not a knock on LEO's).

I have been on many scenes that the PD assisted with fire operations, none were ever freelancing, and everyone forgets....

WE ARE ALL OUT THERE FOR ONE PURPOSE!!! TO PROTECT AND SERVE THE PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So long as that gets done, in a controlled manner, and everyone goes home safe, everyone should take a chill pill, and re-focus and worry about the problems they/their own department has, before throwing out s*** about what others do.

[/rant]

x635, EMT-7035, EMTDelta and 10 others like this

No matter what anyone says, the IC made a COMMAND DECISION, and utilized whatever resources he had available at the time. What would be the difference between setting up a master stream and leaving it flowing unattended, versus putting those fine gentlemen in charge of a hoseline (aside from the fact that a master stream shouldn't be left unattended)?

I applaud the IC recognizing that help was needed and seeking the assistance, and even more, thumbs up to the Purple Ties for rising to the task. They very easily could have said "not my job" and gone and secured a perimeter/the scene (not a knock on LEO's).

I have been on many scenes that the PD assisted with fire operations, none were ever freelancing, and everyone forgets....

WE ARE ALL OUT THERE FOR ONE PURPOSE!!! TO PROTECT AND SERVE THE PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So long as that gets done, in a controlled manner, and everyone goes home safe, everyone should take a chill pill, and re-focus and worry about the problems they/their own department has, before throwing out s*** about what others do.

[/rant]

Yes. Very yes.

Unfortunatley, these pictures are RACING around facebook and other social media outlets....most often with demeaning captions...you can see them on many fire organizations FB pages...

Sad. Some of you are very narrow minded....even moreso than I consider myself.

firemoose827 likes this

Good luck with that one BNechis. Firefighters would be in an uproar in certain parts of the County if law enforcement tried to keep a "brother firefighter" away from a great buffy photo op. Some liberal crybaby would be wailing that the police were infringing on their rights to photo some poor persons house burning to the ground.

Very sad, but true. Working as a medic I have seen a few fires with "brothers" in turnout coats taking lots of pics and the dept names on the coats were not invited to the fire.

I am glad our PD maintains our fire lines (most of the time).

If you were a firefighter enroute back to the firehouse on an Engine, and saw a cop getting the crap beat out of him during a "routine" traffic stop, you wouldn't try to help?

And who do we have to hide behind when we stage? The PD officers who go into a possibly very dangerous scene to make sure it is safe for us do do our jobs.

And if something gosh forbid was to happen to them while they were securing the scene for us, we'd be first in to give the emergency medical care.

sueg likes this

For all we back seat drivers know, these guys could be volunteer firefighters on thier off time and have a clue about what they are doing. If the chief asked them to help, ok. I have also seen LEO's get in the way too, just like firefighters may do at an accident or other call.

SageVigiles likes this

Most of you seem to be missing the fact the not enough qualified personal were at the scene forcing the ic to use non fire dept personal to do fire dept functions. This lack of qualified personal is a huge problem in the fire service today. Non fire dept personal should not be used period, put enough players on the field or dont call yourself a "team".

Correct, there were not enough ff's on the scene. However,the only people here who missed the boat to which you are referring are those who can't see past their own preconceptions and feel it necessary to bash the offlcers for their good deed. The article, and this thread for that matter are about the actions of the troopers, not the inactions of a department which clearly needs some assitance. What if lives were in danger on the call referred to in the article...do you still stand by your statement that no non FD personnel should be used?? By that token, as an EMT I can never have anyone else other than my crew hold stabilization, put pressure on a wound or grab a backboard for a lift assist on a heavy patient....sometimes it just doesn't work that way. Sure, address any overarching, systemic issues but in the mean time there's a job to be done...

Edited by nycemt728

I don't know, I mean like two people posted something negative about the photo, the actions of the Troopers as directed by the Incident Commander. I think the blow back comments from that were a bit much, but I understand.

We all need to remember the major differences between the urban operation of emergency service, and those occurring in the 'burbs or the sticks. When you work for an organization of virtually unlimited resources, the delineation of responsibility is necessarily more defined.

However in the outer areas of cities and beyond those lines of responsibility become more blurred toward simply a common goal of eliminating a threat, or rescuing those in need, treating them. However it must be done, by whomever is tasked with the immediate or secondary responsibility.

I remember a mailman helping on of our guys raise a ground ladder to effect a rescue.

An ambulance operator hooking up a hydrant for a one man engine performing a forward lay.

It goes on.

If these three guys had been a couple of carpenters working next door, and the mailman, this story doesn't even surface. There are everyday people out there who regularly come upon emergencies they did not ask to be near, yet still spring into action to help victims and first responders.

We as a people are loaded with angst these days. We've lost our collective sense of humor. Many are so economically squeezed the pressure is almost unbearable. People are going crazy out there; too many of them.

Thank God there are still so many people on the side of civilization, who step up, who help out. That is what we a people still are, despite all the chaos around us. Stay safe.

BFD1054, SOUSGT, billy98988 and 7 others like this

Everyone might have shook hands and patted everyone on the back in the public view, but I think behind closed doors things might have been a little different.

Everyone might have shook hands and patted everyone on the back in the public view, but I think behind closed doors things might have been a little different.

I highly doubt it.

sueg likes this

Would you care to elaborate on your comment? Do you have information to support this allegation or is it just speculation?

According to the story, the fire chief asked for assistance. Why would there be an issue if that's the case?

SageVigiles and sueg like this

Is this what you saw or heard? Since you alluded in another thread that you have intimate knowledge of specific scenarios because it's what you "saw or heard" from unnamed, non-specific and questionable sources, is your statement verifiable or just your biased, unsupported, made-up opinion?

I know that at least two of the pictured Troopers are FFs, one of them Chief of a neighboring department. Not their first rodeo.

I am a proud union Fireman, and I have had a Trooper operate a line while I made a search.

Many of our organizations could take lessons on professionalism from the NYSP.

Maybe a liabilty issue

Maybe a liabilty issue

Lol, I think there is enough liability coverage with being a LEO to begin with! Being at a scene of a fire incurs its own liability, as it is inherently dangerous as is. I am SURE if something went down and one of them got injured, liability would maybe give slight problem, but I am SURE it would not be a big one.

Topics like this and how they play out is why people do not want to post or sick around here. It's simple you use what you have when you have it pictures only show what's in the view finder. What would you say if this picture showed those troopers protecting an exposure? Yes there's rules for everything now a days is there really a reason to beat a dead horse some things are not ideal but that's life deal with it. Great job by the troopers and IC for using what he had. Oh and the troopers had their waist strap on :).

x129K, helicopper, JJB531 and 1 other like this

Officer, Firefighter Honored by Rotary Club

Danbury News Times

John Pirro

May 6, 2012

DANBURY -- Danbury Firefighter Kevin Lunnie and Police Officer Thomas Connors followed dramatically different paths to get where they are today....

Both men earned that recognition by going into harm's way to help people in need.

Lunnie crawled into an overturned van and provided medical assistance to two young men trapped after a horrific accident on Interstate 84 in which two other people were killed.

Connors ran into a burning, smoke-filled apartment house on Main Street before firefighters arrived and helped make sure all the occupants escaped.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to provide another example of a Brother helping people in need outside his field of expertise... Right place, right time.

Seriously though, Officer Connors is a great guy and definitely not the first Danbury Officer to receive an award for an action such as this. I take comfort knowing none of the negative comments written on this thread will ever change the mind of a Police Officer faced with a situation like this.

sueg and Bull McCaffrey like this

Iam a NYS taxpayer and I dont pay taxes to have State Troopers put out fires. Not my problem if vollie dept cant get a good turn out at fire scenes.

Iam a NYS taxpayer and I dont pay taxes to have State Troopers put out fires. Not my problem if vollie dept cant get a good turn out at fire scenes.

NYSP Vision, Values and Mission

Mission Priorities:

• To prevent crime and enforce the law:
    • To protect people and property.
    • To prevent and detect crime and other violations of law, pursue criminal investigations and arrest criminals.

[*]To ensure highway safety:

• To make our roads safe for all users.
    • To reduce the deaths, injuries and property damage caused by motor vehicle accidents through vehicle and traffic enforcement and education.

[*]To render general assistance:

• To render assistance to all in need and protect citizens and their property from harm.
    • To assist citizens in resolving problems in partnership with other service providers.

[*]To promote peace and order:

• To provide disorder control and security in all types of natural and man-made emergencies.
    • To provide for the safety and security of individuals and groups of citizens in furtherance of their rights, duties and responsibilities.

[*]To provide high quality support:

• To provide our members with the highest quality support services in an efficient manner.
    • To support others by creating partnerships for safety and security with individuals, groups and communities throughout the state.

NYSP Recruitment Center: The Role of a Trooper

The Role of A Trooper

When the New York State Police were created in 1917 our duties were to prevent crime and enforce the law, ensure highway safety, render general assistance and promote peace and order. They have not changed and all are still our focus today.

The work of a New York State Trooper encompasses everything from traditional patrol duties to highly specialized investigations. Troopers must be prepared to deal with a never ending variety of situations and people. The New York State Police is a full service agency which means that Troopers not only enforce the vehicle and traffic law but are the primary law enforcement officers in many regions across the state. They respond and investigate all types of cases including, but not limited, to domestic incidents, missing children, assaults, burglaries, robberies and homicides.

As a result of their duties Troopers are frequently called upon to testify in court and grand jury proceedings and in some traffic courts, to prosecute the cases themselves.

Troopers respond to emergencies and disasters and must be able to quickly assess the situation and determine the action that should be taken to assist those in need.

As a trooper you will be required to apply the law to a variety of situations and determine what appropriate action should be taken.

Troopers carry a firearm and sometimes must make split second decisions about whether deadly physical force is justified in a particular situation.

Troopers operate motor vehicles in all types of weather.

Troopers render general assistance to the public every day in wide ranging situations including disabled motorists, providing directions, explaining the law to citizens and providing counseling to students.

The role of a New York State Trooper is not limited to what we do but also encompasses the manner in which it is done. From our inception, the first Superintendent stressed the importance of providing friendly, courteous and professional service to everyone.

"To serve, protect and defend the people while preserving the rights and dignity of all."

- Superintendent George F. Chandler 1917

This is a mandate that the Troopers still carry with them and strive to achieve each day.

Wrong. You pay taxes for State Troopers to protect lives and property. The old "my taxes pay your salary" argument is bull and you know it. You don't get to tell them what they do on a daily basis.

Its funny, everyone criticizes NYSP for not cooperating at accident scenes (and I don't agree with their policies on that issue) but when these particular Troopers cooperate as requested by the senior officer on a fire scene they're still wrong...

Do these grapes taste funny to you???

JJB531, firemoose827, Monty and 9 others like this

Four troopers on hoseline four troopers not stopping crime or helping citizens in need. Looked like a surround and drown fire to me with no exposures. Who was doing the other jobs that had to be done.Crowd control traffic control etc.

Four troopers on hoseline four troopers not stopping crime or helping citizens in need. Looked like a surround and drown fire to me with no exposures. Who was doing the other jobs that had to be done.Crowd control traffic control etc.

Was there a large crowd that required the attention of 4 Troopers? Was there an overwhelming traffic condition that required 4 Troopers to mitigate it? Whats the function of Fire Police? Who was stopping crime? I would assume the other Troopers and local law enforcement working who weren't assigned to the fire scene. Helping citizens in need? Really? They were not only helping a citizen in need (the property owner) but helping the FD as well.

Keep trying...

SageVigiles, INIT915 and BFD1054 like this

I do not agree with this at all. I certainly have the Highest Respect for Any State Troopers or City/Town Police officers for that matter.

The fact that if they get hurt, this is Not their job. And who is guarding the hen house while these Troopers fight this fire. If I saw this nd wanted to commit a crime somewhere on their beat, I know there could be a delayed response giving me a better chance to get away with it.

If they were firefighters dressed in civilian clothes doing this, we would be the first to critize them for not wearing the proper gear.

I think Somebody mentioned that they were glad that a State Trooper took the hose line and started to fight the fire. Did I read that right ? A firefighter was glad that a State Trooper took the hose line to fight the fire. Should a firefighter take a gun from the Troopershands and shoot a suspect ? It doesn't make sense to me reading that.

I don't think any State Trooper should be honored for doing this. And personnelly if I was the Chief, I'd be speaking to their supervisor explaining why Firefighters fight fires and not State Troopers.

If I was going for surgury, would I want my electrician who just put in a new fuse panel to open my heart.

I really can not believe some people would agree with this. Maybe they ment well, but should I be pulling cars over for speeding, or should I leave that for the people who are trained (and paid) to do it.

I think its just a simple matter of everyone helping to achieve the same goal...helping someone in need, whats wrong with that? I believe your example is a bit far fetched and over dramatic, an electrician performing open heart surgery is no where near accurate enough to explain two state troopers answering a call of help from a local volunteer fire chief whom they probably know from working together in the field anyway and were all too happy to help. These guys held a hand line, outside the building, away from the heat and smoke, and allowed other trained firefighters to do the more important work in the hot zone such as overhaul, salvage, and final extinguishment.

I think we are all over reacting a little here...

Just the responce I was looking for ! thank you.

Not for nothing, but in your previous post you were supporting the help offered you by the local PD when short handed, and now you are against it? Which side of the fence are you on here? LOL

We know now that no one was in danger. Was that outright apparent when the units first arrived on scene and the Troopers were asked to help? Was it known if the house was occupied or unoccupied? You're looking at a photograph that was taken how long into the operation?

If a firefighter chooses to make an adult decision to pull over a suspected drunk driver, and potentially prevents an accident or innocent person from being injured/killed, I'll say my thanks, and take over. I won't ridicule them for helping.... But I guess that's the difference between the two professions.

Bottom line here is that this was something that they were asked to do. It is obviously a rual volunteer department. As we all know, there are manpower issues that we all have to deal with. They did not take the hose out of anyones hands and I am sure they were directed as to where and how the IC wanted that hose stream directed. We are all here for the same reasons, to serve the public we were sworn to protect. Take help were you can when you need it. I am sure that as soon as there was adequate manpower the police officer's were relieved. I think it was even changed to a monitor unless I am looking at the wrong picture. Would we all rather have firefighters manning the line? Sure, but if you don't have anyone, I will take the help from the PD.

I agree with these comments, we are all here for the same reasons, helping others in their time of need. If I was working a large fire and operating exterior lines for hours and was asked by a local cop or state trooper if I needed help holding the line I would gratefully accept their help and guide them as to what they could do to help.

On the flip side, If I saw a PD Officer getting attacked by a group of people, I would grab the nearest hard object and start swinging, or do WHATEVER I could to help them. I did just that one evening when working my FT EMS gig years ago. Our station is within minutes of the local SUNY campus, one evening we were jsut sitting down for dinner when the scanner came alive with a screaming SUNY cop saying he was being chased by a mob of college students through the quad and was calling for all available help from village PD and State Troopers. My partner and I jumped into our rig and started for the campus, lights and sirens blaring in hopes that the sirens would alert the students and make them run. When we arrived on scene, the SUNY cop was being held down and maced with his own mace by a group of 5 students. They saw us and ran away, giving us time to pull up next to the cop and pull him into our ambulance and drove away to safety before the kids realized it was only an EMS rig and tried to come and finish what they started.

We flushed his eyes and took him to the local ER for evaluation. What would have happened to this guy if we didnt show up? What if we just simply said "To hell with that, our pizza will get cold."???? Does any of the law enforcement gang here think we did wrong and wish to tell us to do our jobs and let them do theirs or did we do the right thing??

We work together, we have to, no one else will help.

streetdoc, conman, JJB531 and 1 other like this

Keeping real simple, we all do what we do for two reasons, to help others and to go home at the end of our tours. Bottom line thats exactly what the troopers did. They helped out their brother and sisters in emergency service and the public they all serve and helped everyone including themselves get home safely. Let those who would not want the same done for them cast the first stone....

Well said, I would push the like button on this reply until my finger fell off but you are only allowed one per answer, well said and kudos to you sir.

We are ALL family in this line of work.

SageVigiles and nycemt728 like this

I know that at least two of the pictured Troopers are FFs, one of them Chief of a neighboring department. Not their first rodeo.

I am a proud union Fireman, and I have had a Trooper operate a line while I made a search.

Many of our organizations could take lessons on professionalism from the NYSP.

So they were volunteer FF's. That answers a question earlier in this thread and eliminates the issue of them not "being qualified".

If they were from DPW or the town or village or any other employer we'd expect them to drop their regular duties and respond as a volunteer FF. But because they were troopers we criticize them.

No place is better at making this hypocrisy more obvious than EMTBravo.

Interesting perspective. I guess you're right. Nobody should lift a finger to help their community and if a volunteer FD can't muster an appropriate response, they should immediately be shut down and replaced with career FF no matter the cost, no matter what.

Very narrow minded position you have!

EMTDelta, x129K, JJB531 and 1 other like this

I'm speechless.

Just a guy and x129K like this

I'm speechless.

Certainly does give you a sense of one's true feelings regarding the protection of the public, doesn't it?

I think its just a simple matter of everyone helping to achieve the same goal...helping someone in need, whats wrong with that? I believe your example is a bit far fetched and over dramatic, an electrician performing open heart surgery is no where near accurate enough to explain two state troopers answering a call of help from a local volunteer fire chief whom they probably know from working together in the field anyway and were all too happy to help. These guys held a hand line, outside the building, away from the heat and smoke, and allowed other trained firefighters to do the more important work in the hot zone such as overhaul, salvage, and final extinguishment.

I think we are all over reacting a little here...

Not for nothing, but in your previous post you were supporting the help offered you by the local PD when short handed, and now you are against it? Which side of the fence are you on here? LOL

Who said Im on a fence and were does it say that Im against it ? Where do you come up with stuff ?

I agree with these comments, we are all here for the same reasons, helping others in their time of need. If I was working a large fire and operating exterior lines for hours and was asked by a local cop or state trooper if I needed help holding the line I would gratefully accept their help and guide them as to what they could do to help.

On the flip side, If I saw a PD Officer getting attacked by a group of people, I would grab the nearest hard object and start swinging, or do WHATEVER I could to help them. I did just that one evening when working my FT EMS gig years ago. Our station is within minutes of the local SUNY campus, one evening we were jsut sitting down for dinner when the scanner came alive with a screaming SUNY cop saying he was being chased by a mob of college students through the quad and was calling for all available help from village PD and State Troopers. My partner and I jumped into our rig and started for the campus, lights and sirens blaring in hopes that the sirens would alert the students and make them run. When we arrived on scene, the SUNY cop was being held down and maced with his own mace by a group of 5 students. They saw us and ran away, giving us time to pull up next to the cop and pull him into our ambulance and drove away to safety before the kids realized it was only an EMS rig and tried to come and finish what they started.

We flushed his eyes and took him to the local ER for evaluation. What would have happened to this guy if we didnt show up? What if we just simply said "To hell with that, our pizza will get cold."???? Does any of the law enforcement gang here think we did wrong and wish to tell us to do our jobs and let them do theirs or did we do the right thing??

We work together, we have to, no one else will help.

Angelo, when you said "just the response you were looking for" or words to that effect about another post, the moose I think innocently missed the sarcasm bro.

x129K likes this