Hudson61

The Mentors Who Shaped Our Careers

22 posts in this topic

There are folks from our past who have helped shaped our careers (paid or non-paid) in emergency services. Be it in the fire service, EMS, or law enforcement we all had someone that influenced us.

Here in this tab, let's pay tribute to those we know as our mentors. You do not have to use their real names, a nickname or initials are fine. The important thing, you know who they are.

For me, there are three I consider mentors from back in the day.

Charlie Lent, for introducing me to the volunteer fire service

To Vince Vail, for teaching me first aid and developing my interest in EMS to where I first became an EMT

To Al Wohrman for inspiring me to learn and become more proficient in emergency services.

Thank you.

I would say 5 come to my mind:

In the very beginning at Larchmont VAC...

Dan Purcell, who inspired me with encouragment that I was smart enough to be a medic.

Marc Burell, who inpired me by making me think, "Hell, if HE is smart enough to do this, then I MUST be to smart enough to do it."

When I made EMS a carreer...

Bob "Buck" Visconti and Carl "Gunney" Otto who patiently tuned me up during my early years at Empress.

And now now, 30+ years in...

5. Dick Harvey. I look to him and say "HE is still on the road gettin it done, carrying that medicare card in his wallet, so I should stop complaining about sore knees, aching back, heavy gear and multi-floor walk-ups etc and appreciate that I can still to the work."

To the extent that I am any good at all at this craft, and that I am still here, I owe to these guys.

And I can't leave out the skinny, pimple faced kind of a twirpy, nerdy EMT kid I worked with. One day he says."I am going to start an EMS website." Yes, you Seth G.

x635 likes this

For me I go back to YHFD, and hands down I say with great pride Martin McGannon! In my opinion he was a great chief and teacher. Not only did he encompass everything that makes one a great leader, but he was a great friend and role model. I also say Greg T., he also taught me a lot in the fire service and outside. And finally I add Kenny, I was honored to serve with such a great group.

And for my short time in Da Bronx I will most definitely say Geroge, Jimmy R, Danny B., Beefman, and a true legend D.O.C.

Finally I must say my Current Chief, Chief Olsen is very knowledgeable and very progressive yet still holds true to traditions. And my Academy Chief, Chief McLaren who is a great mentor and the Best instructor the Oregon DPSST has to offer.

lt411, x635 and fire2141 like this

What an excellent topic. And LOL, Bill-you were one of my first main career mentors!

I've had a lot of success due to awesome mentors. I'm afraid I'll forget to mention someone or post too long an article, because many of them are members of this forum and are reading this right now. They all know who they are - I hope, and what effects they had on me, because I have made it a point to tell them.

I'm going to have to think of the best way to list all these people, lol.

Dave Sanford (DC Westport FD, DC Wilton FD, Danbury FD & WRFD): he taught me the importance of training and that we never stop learning. A true gent, great leader, and mentor to so many of us who were fortunate to learn from him and call him a friend.

Bernie Bodner (Norwalk FD): a true fireman's fireman of the old school, Bernie understood fire behavior like no one else I have ever met. He was completely fearless, both on the job and when he fought his final battle with cancer, no doubt linked to so many years of inhaling toxic byproducts of combustion.

Andy "Father" Clarke (LT FDNY): Lt. Clarke shared much of his knowledge which he amassed throughout the War Years, serving on the South Bronx. He allowed me to ride with his engine company while I was a teen, and was kind enough to explain the principles of size-up and incident command before there were any of today's text books on the subject.

Ed Smith (PGCFD & DCFD): Ed took the time to help me, "the new guy", learn and adapt to the DC way of doing things, and watched my back as I learned the ropes on TL33. He will always be my brother from another mother. Stay safe, Cap, I will always have your back as you had mine!

And finally Ed Sere (FDNY): He took a young kid from the country and exposed him to urban firefighting and truck work in Harlem & the Bronx at L14 & R3. Every night buffing with Ed and his brothers was an education, with the lessons including not only life saving & survival techniques, but also an introduction to the brotherhood of the fire service and the importance of a good culture of esprit de corps in the firehouse.

Thank you to all of the aforementioned who so generously helped me start my fire service career. You are all with me every day on the line and in the kitchen. My feelings are best said by the old Irish blessing:

"May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends gathered below never fall out."

lt411, sfrd18 and x635 like this

I must say it have quiet a few. First my grandfather Thomas "the rock" Conklin. Then my father Ex-chief Ken Gilleo. The first person who actually took me in and I have a pleasure of sittin with and talking to all the time Billy "Bull" Flynn. On the EMS side I have to say my cousin Pat Wisker (FFEMT150) for smacking me in the head and having me get my stuff together, TM for pushing me to learn more and increase my knowledge. And so many others that I'm having a hard time of coming up with the words to describe how they have helped me in so many ways.

Stay safe all

PCFD ENG58, x635 and xchief2x like this

Jim Taxter Joe Butler Dan Berry Frank Brannigan

Yes, those guys were definitely the ones when it came to Building Construction, Fire Prevention, and investigation.

I saw Ed Sere mentioned. I only knew him for one thing, but it was a big change in how we operate. Ed took us out of the ladder belt rappelling method, and taught us figure eights and beeners using kernmantle rope. He had a 2-part rescue harness for a victim that I am surprised hasn't sold millions. Made of webbing loops, it could easily and hastily be put on a conscious or unconscious victim.

Then there were the Westchester Community College classmates. Those guys, like me were there on the GI Bill. The Bronx Bunch, however, were older and worked though he Burn, baby, burn era. They did trial and error tactics at not less than one multi-alarm job every night. From them came the trench cut and much more. In my class were also great men like Silvio Burigo, Capt,NRFD and Asst Chief ED Dunn, YFD. My success in the FD stems from "I wanna be like them."

Then, a good friend, Tommy Brennan, Capt, FDNY, probably best known for his Random Thoughts on the last page of Fire Engineering. Most readers of Fire Engineering read the mag from the back page first. His thoughts were not random at all. Tommy was a very focused individual and when he first met you he would ask you a few questions before he decided to talk to you.

Finally, the guy in the mirror. He always knew if I was doing the right thing.

Billy, You were right in mentioning Tommy Brennan. He was a great speaker, and and even better friend when I ran the seminars. Always willing to stay and share with the students after all was over.

x635 likes this

Smitty, Tex, Fut, Stone and Marsico!!! Hendrie is to new to have been a mentor but has convinced me to stay on the job. AWE YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x635 and Newtofire like this

I had many mentors through the years, too many to mention individually. Therefore I will just lump them together in a group I shall call all the senior firefirghters in my department and some of my neighboring departments. Now that I am a "senior member" I sincerely hope that I am having an influence on some of our younger members and setting a good example for them!

Bnechis, CFI609D and x635 like this

I have had a few very good mentors both in the Pleasantville and Hawthorne FD and also Pleasantville Ambulance Corps. They know who they are.

KelliPVAC, xchief2x and x635 like this

I know there is probably alot of people that have the same feeling here But Ray Rush, awesome introduction to the fire service. He was a tell it like it is No BS. he did my essentials class in 1993. My father introduced me into the volunteer side of things at a very young age and taught me what it was all about, volunteering for years with many good people in northern westchester helped me to become a fireman in the greatest fire department in the world. Thanks to all who were a part of this

x635, pasobuff, xchief2x and 2 others like this

Neil J. McCabe, who taught me that patience and tolerance were true virtues to have ownership of.

Edited by gamewell45
x635 and markmets415 like this

what a nice topic but for me the two people who taught me about the chacteristics of a fire which in turn helped me understand fire was county car6 dugan mcphalt (i hope i spelled it right)and arson investicator for the D.A.office Joe Butler two very well informed men way ahead of their times

x635 likes this

what a nice topic but for me the two people who taught me about the chacteristics of a fire which in turn helped me understand fire was county car6 dugan mcphalt (i hope i spelled it right)and arson investicator for the D.A.office Joe Butler two very well informed men way ahead of their times

I'm not sure about the first, I think it was Duncan, but I think you are talking about Scotty MacPhail

x635 likes this

My dad Wassaic Past Chief Richard Christiansen Sr., who still to this day is at the firehouse every single day at the grand age of 78.

Wassaic Past Chief Delos Luther, who was our Chief during my rise up through the ranks and whom I learned so much from.

Past Chief and current life member Dan Killmer, who still lends his ears to my voice.

Past Chief Richard Killmer who was more of a mentor in life than the firehouse by being there for all of snotty nosed kids that knew everything growing up in a small town.

NYS Fire Instructor Rich Carroll, who I simply adore, great instructor and friend.

Fairview (Dutchess County) Firefighter Craig Elderkin, the best live instructor in my eyes Dutchess County had at the time, he pushed me to always strive higher and to become an even better person.

Last but not least and one of my favorites of all time Tom O'Gorman, Arlington Fire District, one amazing man!!!!

x635 and Bnechis like this

absolutely a great topic--Avon Rob is right on the money with who he mentioned. All great men in the fire service but I think I would have to bring it closer to home--and include my dad ex Chief od NTFD for it was with him that I took in my first fire. My cousin Joe Moore another family member that taught me well. Finally-- I knew I was going to be of some value to the fire service when I entered a fire building from the rear of Kaldenberg Place Tarrytown. the fire was in a hardware store that faced Broadway. I took the line with 2 members of TFD--one was Dick Nagle and the other was Allen Mazzaros. We took the line in paint cans were popping all around us fire over our heads-later I found out that theses tow firefighters just got out of FDNY probie academy I was just 18. We kicked that fires ass pretty good-- that was back in 1968 no masks--came out all snottied up --saw my dad standing there--Dick came up to my dad and said "don't worry about him pop he did you proud in there"

years later Dick and I are spending a nice afternoon up at the State Academy-ok it was at the Lodge over cocktails cant lie- he as the head of the Academy me as a NYS Fire Instructor teaching a class, we had a great laugh about it because neither of us ever forgot the incident.

x635 and wraftery like this

come on spike it was bill avery from vmfd.

Ken Flood, Tom O'Gorman, Bob Visconti, Mark Baumblatt, Mark Karn, Billy Rothschild, Tommy Salvatore (RIP), and so many others had a huge impact on me.

X307 likes this