Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buff.boy

Pelham Manor Tanker Explosion

47 posts in this topic

Does anyone remember the explosion in Ossining years ago at the Shell station on Rt. 9? This article reminded me so much of it.

Sounds like it was a great stop by all parties involved and thankfully nobody was hurt. Good stop

Does anyone have a breakdown on the responding units to this scene from Pelham Manor as well as the Mutual Aid Units requested initial by the PMFD Chief from both the Yonkers Fire Department and the White Plains Fire Department, and then from other neighboring fire departments (Mount Vernon, Eastchester, etc)?

FDNY was there. Unknown what type of assignment was sent.

Being so close to the Bronx border I think I would have just called FDNY with all the resources they have. Was there really a need for YFD and White Plains? What was their eta?

From what I heard FDNY sent a full foam assignment and later on a full hazmat assignment.... FDNY had a lot of units on scene. I believe Yonkers only sent an engine with extra foam, same with White Plains.

From what I heard FDNY sent a full foam assignment and later on a full hazmat assignment.... FDNY had a lot of units on scene. I believe Yonkers only sent an engine with extra foam, same with White Plains.

Now that makes sense. Good job PMFD!

At 0405 hrs 60-Control had the following FDNY run down:

~FDNY UNITS ON SCENE ENG'S 38,66,63,97 LAD 51, 61, 39 BATT'S 15,20,17,14,27,

~SQUAD61, DIV 7, R3, FOAM 96 E96, E72, FOAM 95 ENG 95, SAT 2, PURPLE K84 E84,

~PURPLE K 326 E326, FOAM TANDEM 1, E238, HM1, HAZ MAT BATT, E274 HAZ MAT TECH

Yes FDNY does have the resources, but where did these units come from, what were their response times ? Getting a lesser response quicker may be the proper call. What good is getting a major response if it takes 30 minutes or more to arrive vs. a smaller response that arrives in 10-15 minutes. So to say JUST CALL FDNY might be the wrong call.

sfrd18, helicopper and SteveOFD like this

Yes FDNY does have the resources, but where did these units come from, what were their response times ? Getting a lesser response quicker may be the proper call. What good is getting a major response if it takes 30 minutes or more to arrive vs. a smaller response that arrives in 10-15 minutes. So to say JUST CALL FDNY might be the wrong call.

Many of them came right across the bridge and that would b the Boston Post road bridge. They were there pretty quick too from what ive heard. I must say when FDNY goes m/a they go all out, no rinky dink b/s. I'm sure a company in Flushing or Asoria could be there alot quicker also then one from WP.

Of the FDNY units with significant petroleum firefighting capability E238 with the Foam Tender turn out of Greenpoint Ave in Brooklyn. It's a hike to Pelham. E96 and their foam wagon turn out of Story Ave in the Bronx and during overnight hours isn't a bad drive. E95 and their foam wagon turn out of Vermilyea Ave in the Inwood section and it's quite the haul. E326 with Purple K is out of Queens close to the Nassau border. E84 and PK84 are out of Washington Heights.

Edited by mfc2257

Just to shed some light on this event ( I was there on the first alarm assignment)the resources supplied by FDNY were a result of their own Commanders actions. PMFD Chief called for foam right at the start of this job from FDMV, FDNR and then YFD. NYC received multiple 911 calls from nearby Bronx resident's who heard and saw the explosions and the Bronx CO sent their own assignment to the scene.The PMFD Chief did not waste any time in his decisions and all of the FDNY resources listed were sent by request of Division 7 Chief on the scene.ALL units worked very well together throughout the operation to bring about a successful conclusion with no serious injuries to any members or civilians.Hope this clears things up.

Just to shed some light on this event ( I was there on the first alarm assignment)the resources supplied by FDNY were a result of their own Commanders actions. PMFD Chief called for foam right at the start of this job from FDMV, FDNR and then YFD. NYC received multiple 911 calls from nearby Bronx resident's who heard and saw the explosions and the Bronx CO sent their own assignment to the scene.The PMFD Chief did not waste any time in his decisions and all of the FDNY resources listed were sent by request of Division 7 Chief on the scene.ALL units worked very well together throughout the operation to bring about a successful conclusion with no serious injuries to any members or civilians.Hope this clears things up.

When incidents like this happen close to the border, the scenario that you've described will almost always happen. It's not a bad thing at all. It means that the 911 system worked. Residents in two municipalities called 911 and their department responded. Instead of getting into a turf battle, they got the job done and all worked out well.

This happens in the DC area with PGFD and MCDFRS ending up operating with units from the district. Most of the time it goes well. Occasionally the "pack up your stuff and get moving" attitude comes out and that isn't in anyones best interest.

I think we are all relieved to hear that you were on the initial alarm.Good job JAD622 keep up the good work.

Did anyone get any photos from the fire? I saw a lot of guys with cameras there. Checked NYCfire.net, but it was not him. Great job done by everyone. All the departments worked well together and got a very stubborn fire to go out. It's amazing no one was hurt.

As a side note:

Kinda funny how this call didn't get a Incident Alert but people post MVA's :rolleyes: .

bigrig77 likes this

I hope that none of the runoff went into the eastchester creek and hurt any fish! I'm sure the runoff was a concern and if you have ever been near or in the creek you will know that I was goofin about the fish, good job to all.

BIGRED1 likes this

I hope that none of the runoff went into the eastchester creek and hurt any fish! I'm sure the runoff was a concern and if you have ever been near or in the creek you will know that I was goofin about the fish, good job to all.

What could happen, the fish get a fourth eye? :D

bigrig77 and x129K like this

It was reported that the runoff didn't hit the creek. Coast guard was there checking it out as a pre-caution but they said it wasn't effected by the fire.

Thats ALOT of FDNY Chiefs there!

Looks like a lot, yes, but it's typical for a response of that level. You have the Batt. chief (B15, i bet) who was assigned on the initial ticket. After that, Div. 7 would be the ranking incident commander and then the other BC's would fill several other roles. These include: All Hands Chief, Resource Unit Leader, Staging Area Chief, Foam Cooridnator, ect. I wear a black helmet, so I can't really begin to explain what they all do.

Looks like a sticky incident that could have been much worse. Well done.

Being so close to the Bronx border I think I would have just called FDNY with all the resources they have. Was there really a need for YFD and White Plains? What was their eta?

3.1 miles away at 0230 in the a.m. not too bad of an eta I would guess.

Does anyone remember the explosion in Ossining years ago at the Shell station on Rt. 9? This article reminded me so much of it.

I don't think there was an explosion at the Shell Station (I think it was 2/97) - I think it was just a fire in the gas station. I could be wrong.

Last tanker explosions I remember were in Briarcliff on Route 9A in 2004 and the one on I287 in White Plains before that.

Does anyone know which Pelham units operated?

I don't think there was an explosion at the Shell Station (I think it was 2/97) - I think it was just a fire in the gas station. I could be wrong.

Last tanker explosions I remember were in Briarcliff on Route 9A in 2004 and the one on I287 in White Plains before that.

The tanker blew up and it hit the tanks with the Ossining one. You're correct on the month, it was over President's Day vacation.

The Shell station fire in Ossining in 1997 was the gas tank on a vehicle being worked on in the garage, I believe it was caused by gasoline spilled and a dropped work light. Any OFD peeps feel free to correct me.

I think it is too late to create an Incident Alert, here's some information from this incident.

PMFD Units: 2361, 2363, E1, E2, TL3

PFD Units: E5

NRFD Units: E22 w/FAST

MVFD Units: E203, E204, E205, TL63, R2

WPFD Units: E66, U70 (Foam Trailer)

YFD Units: E313 w/ Foam Unit, Bat 2

WCDES Units: Bat 15, FC 1, C&O Zone 2, TRT Officers

FDNY Units: E38, E66, E63, E97, E96 w/ Foam 96, , E72 w/ Foam 72, E95 w/ Sat 2, E84 w/ Purple K 84, E326 w/ Purple K 326, E238 w/ Foam Tandem 1, L51, L61, L39, Sqd61, R3, HM1 w/ E274 and HM Bat, Bat 15, Bat 20, Bat 17, Bat 14, Bat 27, Div. 7

01:59 – E1, E2, E5, TL3 dispatched for fire at the gas station, 5 Secor Lane.

02:02 – Mount Vernon FD getting multiple calls for fire in area.

02:03 – 2363 reports 10-75. New Rochelle FAST, EMS, Bat 15 dispatched.

02:14 – 2361 requesting units for a Foam Operation.

03:26 – Bat 15 reports WPFD being released.

03:27 – NRFD FAST being released, fire is darkening down and contained to original building, FDNY has a TL operating, 3 deck guns, Ladder pipe from MVFD, multiple handlines in use.

16:30 – Last FD unit clear of the scene.

sfrd18, batt2 and M' Ave like this

The tanker blew up and it hit the tanks with the Ossining one. You're correct on the month, it was over President's Day vacation.

"Explosion", "Blew up" or just a very "large Fire"......The discriptions need to be looked at.

The White Plains I-287 "tanker" was an MC330 high pressure tank containing liquified propane. The tank was ruptured by the force of the impact with a bridge. The liquified propane leaked out and without the vessel to contain the pressure converted back to its natural state; propane gas. The vabor cloud travel about 500 feet (200 feet past the tractor). At that point (about 2/3 of the cloud) was above the flammable level (too rich), the other 1/3 was below the flammable level (too lean) but the part at the cab was within the flammable range and ignited. It flashed out to the 500' and back to the tank, which forced it into the homes. This tank did not bleve, it ignited and burned rapidly. At the point the tank took of it technically would be considered an explosion.

Most gasoline tankers (MC-306 MC-406) are aluminum and are considered non-presurized. The containers tend to rupture from an impact, leak product and ignite not explode. They rarely "explode" but the flammable liguid will burn with intensity. This does not make it any less dangerious to fight, but it is important to understand the difference.

The tactics used also differ with flammable liquids and flammable gasses. Class B Foam is a good choice the liquids, but is useless on the flammable gasses. Flammable gas fires generally need to be "turned off" or "burn out".

Monty and PFDRes47cue like this

Wasn't New Rochelle spec'ing a Foam Unit for this type of emergency a while back, mostly to use as a regional resource for this type of thing? Or am I old and they got it already?

All this banter about border issues yet the fact remains that close to 150 FF were engaged in suppression/foam operations for 14 hours.

Sounds like they needed Yonkers and White Plains and the close to 100 FDNY members on scene. Whether by design or by errant 911 calls, everbody worked (and worked hard it sounds like).

It has been discussed numerous times in the past... FDNY is not a primary mutual aid resource to Westchester.