Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjpinto

Fleet Day at Playland

33 posts in this topic

Today at Playland, Westchester County held its annual Fleet Day.

Yonkers FD had a massive display of equipment which many of those attending

stopped by and vied all their equipment. See below

post-193-127552570902.jpg

post-193-127552573106.jpg

post-193-127552575644.jpg

post-193-127552578119.jpg

post-193-12755258161.jpg

post-193-127552585194.jpg

post-193-127552587887.jpg

Edited by jjpinto
efdcapt115 likes this

Other apparatus and vehicles on display

post-193-127552599457.jpg

post-193-127552601732.jpg

post-193-127552603434.jpg

post-193-127552605028.jpg

post-193-127552607063.jpg

post-193-127552609271.jpg

post-193-127552612059.jpg

post-193-127552614892.jpg

I would like to hear everyones opinion of the new Caprice and the Taurus. I think I like the Ford because of the AWD availability.

Awesome shots joe! Thanks for sharing! One question, what is with the color of the county police car?

Cool rigs! Is that by any chance Westchester County PD's new color scheme and striping?

Awesome shots joe! Thanks for sharing! One question, what is with the color of the county police car?

The county will be going with blue crown vics (different color blue than the one in the photo) with all white doors. The car in the photo is similar to the new cars, but not exactly what they will be getting.

The county will be going with blue crown vics (different color blue than the one in the photo) with all white doors. The car in the photo is similar to the new cars, but not exactly what they will be getting.

Black & White would be the best, or keep the all white.

Here you go firedude,here is the car

post-19499-127553163658.jpg

What is the purpose of the newer Stiloski Rescue?

Looks like a nice display by the YFD. The S.O.C. rigs they have are pretty damn impressive. It's also nice that they took the time to lay everything out and showcase what the rig carries in stead of just parking a shiny red truck on the pavement which could be empty for all we know.

Who staffs the Collapse Rescue, USAR rig ect ect?

I went down to see the new police vehicles and I have to say I will give Ford a lot of credit they did it right and speaking to other cops briefly they seem to agree. The ford is obviously a whole new design which I think it was time for. The vehicle has a lot of room in the inside, wider foot space, head room and the seats are wider. What I was impressed with was with the way they had the computer set up is that if you have a partner sitting in the passenger side there is still a lot of leg space for that cop and the stand will not tough you. I have always liked the crown vic and speaking to the reps from Ford they were aware they had a great car in the crown vic but they listen to cops in the redesign and and improvements. I believe this will also be AWD? maybe someone can clear that up.

The Chevy I give them a D+ on this and here is why: There really is no new design here. Basically chevy took the Malibu front end and the Impala rear end and put them together. sure maybe it has wider seats for your gun belt and little more leg room but there were other negatives. The shifter was on the floor in front of the center console, I hope this was something only on the demo vehicle and not something they are going to stay with. That can be very uncomfortable putting the car into drive quickly or from drive to reverse. Then the placement of the police radio in front of the floor shift. The whole set up is not police friendly. I am very disappointed with Chevy and maybe this explains why they are behind ford and recovering from chapter 11. Really seems very little thought went into the caprice. They need to get back to what they had in the '80's and 90's.

Ford: B+ based on design in and out. Can't give it an "A" because didn't get to drive it.

Chevy: D+ really no thought and consideration for police work. An Impala with new front design.

On another thought Yonkers has some nice equipment and it was nice to finally see it up close.

I was up there the other day. Pretty impressive showing by the brothers in Westchester DES Tech Rescue Team and Yonkers FD. Both agencies had a ton of equipment up there. Only thing missing was a YFD helicopter. The brothers in blue put on a nice demo cutting up a car and the kids seemed to really enjoy the K9 dogs.

I noticed that the tow company in question (Stiloskis) had 3 very nice looking pieces of apparatus. Two of them looked liked and were set up like "Rescue" trucks. In fact they guys there had shirts that said "Recovery and Rescue". Seems that they also had a ton of equipment (air bags, spreaders, rams, cutters, torches, struts, hazmat gear). My question is, I know that Stiloskis puts on a couple of vehicle extrication classes every year but are they actually cutting people out of cars like their shirts would lead you to believe or is that more like a promotional thing?

SO...can ANYONE answer what the second heavy rescue/recovery truck will have/do?

Large and small recovery airbags, Matjacks, Plasma Cutter and torches, Hydraulic Cutters, Spreaders, And Rams,Shoring, Chains, Blocks, Pulleys, Straps, Winches, Haz-Mat Equipment (to contain leaking fuel tankers or product on recoveries, Fuel Transfer equipment, Generator and Lighting Equipment, Multiple Types Of Saws And Cutting Equipment,Cones, Flares, And Signs, Reference Manuals, and a Heated/Cooled cab for rehab on a really hot day or really cold night during an extended recovery, as well as changing clothes for getting vehicles out of ponds etc.Any of these tools are available to FD's if they need them. BUT THE PRIMARY PURPOSE FOR THESE TOOLS IS FOR THE RECOVERY OF CARS, TRUCKS, BOATS, PLANES, EXCAVATORS, and whatever else Stiloskis is called to.

One support vehicle will be in Tarrtown, the other in Rockland.

Also, I apologize. I don't want these never ending lighting debate and whatever else not really related to detract from all the awesome Yonkers FD Special Operations vehicles that Chief Fitzpatrick and his team have worked on and the incredible vehicles and equipment they had on display. This shows the incredible resource that Yonkers FD is.

Also, in case it got missed, thanks to Joe Pinto for the awesome photos, and I LOVE the new Westchester County PD paint scheme! Very unique!

I was up there the other day. Pretty impressive showing by the brothers in Westchester DES Tech Rescue Team and Yonkers FD. Both agencies had a ton of equipment up there. Only thing missing was a YFD helicopter. The brothers in blue put on a nice demo cutting up a car and the kids seemed to really enjoy the K9 dogs.

I noticed that the tow company in question (Stiloskis) had 3 very nice looking pieces of apparatus. Two of them looked liked and were set up like "Rescue" trucks. In fact they guys there had shirts that said "Recovery and Rescue". Seems that they also had a ton of equipment (air bags, spreaders, rams, cutters, torches, struts, hazmat gear). My question is, I know that Stiloskis puts on a couple of vehicle extrication classes every year but are they actually cutting people out of cars like their shirts would lead you to believe or is that more like a promotional thing?

Here we go ! The brothers from WCDES team - I think I saw 1 person - to mention the 2 teams in the same sentence is an absolute insult! Once again the emperor has no clothes! When are all of you going to get it! Showing up with 1 or 2 trucks and proclaiming you have a team is ludacrous! Yonkers used the event as a Deployment Exercise for the USAR Task Force and participated with over 35 members an appropriate response for a level I USAR task Force. - As long as everyone feels warm and fuzzy whether or not the resources are real that is all that matters. BTW - who cares what color lights they use - that has nothing to do with their capabilites.

Edited by billfitz

Only thing missing was a YFD helicopter.

YFD has access to a helicopter anytime they need it. There mobile command post can receive downlinked video from it and all the radio frequencies necessary are available onboard. ;)

M' Ave and batt2 like this

I think this new scheme is horrible! The current scheme is just fine. There must be a reason for the change. I think the white is much better for visibility and safety, and, I think the orange "County" on the blue back door is ugly, please change that, at least. I would think that getting cars other than all white, or all 1 color, are probably more expensive too.

Here you go firedude,here is the car

That is the current paint scheme they should stick with rather than that hideous 1451.

I think this new scheme is horrible! The current scheme is just fine. There must be a reason for the change. I think the white is much better for visibility and safety, and, I think the orange "County" on the blue back door is ugly, please change that, at least. I would think that getting cars other than all white, or all 1 color, are probably more expensive too.

I agree. This new prototype isn't the best visually.

I've always been a fan of the simple Black & White if considering two full body colors.

That WC Police car is hideous and since when does the county have money to repaint an entire fleet of vehicles in these times. Great showing by Yonkers fire they really have a lot of stuff. Very impressive show of force and utilization of training. As far as the tow trucks who cares about the lights, both big tow trucks said heavy rescue on the booms Vincents and Stiloski's. Some have an obvious agenda here. The capabilities are on display and millions that have been invested in training and equipment and readily available for deployment 24/7. Every tow company in Westchester and Rockland that is successful works very close with police and fire departments providing equipment, cars for training and other services usually free of charge, most only bill insurance companies especially if requested for a rescue type situation no matter what company. Great job by the comittee a nice day for all agencies to get together and see actual resources available.

That WC Police car is hideous and since when does the county have money to repaint an entire fleet of vehicles in these times.

I would imagine they would phase the patrol cars in. They've come a long way in 10 years, I remember when they wouldn't even put a strobe on a County PD car because they felt it would be distracting. Personally, with white doors I love it. (Didn't NYPD used to be green-and-white?)

And County PD has/had a Dodge Charger in a black-and-white scheme:

http://x635photos.com/displayimage-1337.html

Also, I didn't know Ford had the Ford PI in production yet. Chevy either.

Was it the Chevy Impala PP on display, or the Chevrolet Police Package (based on Pontiac G8/Holden (Austrailia). I've heard Chevrolet has been confusing some people by marketing both at the same time. Based on the description, it sounds like the Impala that I saw.

Also, we have a better Police demo circulating here in Texas.....a Dodge Challenger 2 dr 400HP Hemi Engine.....

Some have an obvious agenda here.

I don't have an agenda other then to promote the towing and recovery industry as a profession that has a lot to offer emergency services. Vincents is an awesome tow agency as well and they do a great job. I am just most familiar with Stiloskis and O'Hare. I hope next time I make it to NY I can get over to Vincents and Lone Star (another great company). There are just many fly by nights and skelly companies that give the PROFESSION and all the real equipment a bad name, and give people a poor perception of the profession as a whole.

I also believe that professional tow companys are increasingly playing a critical role on all highway scenes, and that FD and Tow agencies should train together more frequently.

And not only for rescue, but nowadays for many reasons it's important to clear the roadway as quickly as possible.

Also, any heavy wrecker in which the driver has no training/certification either via Wreckmaster and/or TRAA has no business on a heavy rescue or recovery scene.

Here we go ! The brothers from WCDES team - I think I saw 1 person - to mention the 2 teams in the same sentence is an absolute insult! Once again the emperor has no clothes! When are all of you going to get it! Showing up with 1 or 2 trucks and proclaiming you have a team is ludacrous! Yonkers used the event as a Deployment Exercise for the USAR Task Force and participated with over 35 members an appropriate response for a level I USAR task Force. - As long as everyone feels warm and fuzzy whether or not the resources are real that is all that matters. BTW - who cares what color lights they use - that has nothing to do with their capabilites.

Yonkers has the equipment and manpower and Joe did a great job documenting that. We have had discussions recently on here about Yonkers, and I'm always glad when there's a chance to present photos of YFD at "full force". It should also be noted that a LOT more of Yonkers Special Operations equipment wasn't at the event. Chief, you and your team have done a GREAT job over the past several years and I know you have spent countless hours fighting for funding, planning, researching, training etc to make these apparatus a reality.

I would have thought DES would have shown up with full team staffing to counter any rumors or misperceptions of the team not being able to assemble on weekdays.

Some people need to ask themselves, how is Yonkers able to accomplish all of this and Westchester County can't?

I think Yonkers FD definetly "wowed" everyone in attendance and showed them how capable they are. It was nice to see all the other agencies as well and what they are doing. This event is a really good idea and has grown nicely, would have liked to see some more agencies there though.

...both big tow trucks said heavy rescue on the booms Vincents and Stiloski's. Some have an obvious agenda here.

While you may feel this way, I have no connection to Stiloski's in any way, shape, or form, and I can fairly, accurately, and unbiased, say the following:

Stiloski's has been a long time supporter of, and paying advertiser on EMTBravo, and they have more of a right than anyone else, to have their name and capabilities mentioned, and recognized (albeit that was probably not the intent), and I fully support that.

If you were a paying advertiser, would you mind an extra mention?? Also keep in mind, the pictures posted IN THIS THREAD, which brought about this conversation, and accusations, were not by x635, but by jjpinto, who merely posted the pictures he chose to post.

Just some food for thought...

Joe, thank you for sharing these pictures, looks like a good, informative day for all! I learned a lot about YFD's, and Stiloski's capabilities from this thread (since I have no connection to, and VERY little knowledge of the workings/happenings in/of WC)!!

Some who have an obvious agenda was in reply to the 1st two pages blasting Stiloski's, but this is typical here. It was not directed at the moderators. I am in full support of anyone who has, or is willing to train with rescue professionals and has the capabilities of assisting with millions of dollars worth or equipment that professionals in the rescue field can utilize.

Cant wait to see the Yonkers HAZ-MAT team next year.

Some who have an obvious agenda was in reply to the 1st two pages blasting Stiloski's, but this is typical here. It was not directed at the moderators. I am in full support of anyone who has, or is willing to train with rescue professionals and has the capabilities of assisting with millions of dollars worth or equipment that professionals in the rescue field can utilize.

My suggestion then, sir, is to add a quote of the text you are replying to in your reply, like I did here, so it is more clear what/who you are referring to. A simple post, later on in the thread, with a mild reference to something from earlier on, might get misconstrued.

Just a thought.

You know what bothers me about this website sometimes and other forums....The person started this thread to basically ask what people thoughts were about the demo day and the equipment, not why does this towing company have red and blue and these types of lights. I wrote a response about the new police cars hoping to see what others thoughts were who were there and looked at them, since i only spoke to a handful of people about it. I don't think the person who started this topic meant for this huge discussion on tow trucks and if they can have this or that on their truck. This went way off topic and frankly in regards to some of these post it seems childish. i was hoping to get more opinions and I am disappointed that a good intelligent convo never came to be.

Edited by 25truck26

The Westchester DES guys had way more than two people there. Not nearly as much as Yonkers but certainly much more than two guys. Perhaps, had the event been labeled/designated as a "drill, mock disaster or training evolution" the Westchester Tech Rescue team would have shown up in force.

Like I said before, great showing by both agencies.

Thanks goes out the the Mods and everyone else who helped to clarify what a vital role Stiloskis, Vincents and other area tow companies play in the field. Their capabilities are also rather impressive.

You know what bothers me about this website sometimes and other forums....The person started this thread to basically ask what people thoughts were about the demo day and the equipment, not why does this towing company have red and blue and these types of lights. I wrote a response about the new police cars hoping to see what others thoughts were who were there and looked at them, since i only spoke to a handful of people about it. I don't think the person who started this topic meant for this huge discussion on tow trucks and if they can have this or that on their truck. This went way off topic and frankly in regards to some of these post it seems childish. i was hoping to get more opinions and I am disappointed that a good intelligent convo never came to be.

Points well taken. Thanks for stating it so eloquently. All the off-topic comments have been removed (mine included) and we now return to the regularly scheduled programming.

If you'd like to start a thread regarding some of the other issues that popped up here, feel free but please keep this thread on-topic.

Have a great weekend!