Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foreman1923

Does FDNY Ride Metro North For Free?

51 posts in this topic

Does anyone on here know if Fdny EMS/Fire gets free train rides like NYPD?

sfrd18 likes this

These aren't secrets. The MTA allows FDNY and NYPD to ride in uniform for free throughout the 5 boroughs. After the Colin Ferguson shooting on the LIRR it became policy to allow cops to ride free at all times. Since Metro North and LIRR are still semi autonomous I don't know what their rules are, but I doubt they're too different.

sfrd18 likes this

Personally, I don't think anyone should ride for free. Even though my father has been a detective down there for 30 + years, it's not right that they keep raising it for the public, but let them ride for free. I'd say let them on for a reduced price, or make their own card that FDNY or NYPD has to pay for monthly or yearly. Even though its a train, it's still public transportation, and can't find that without a fee, and i think that should go for all.

Speaking of trains, bridges also let PD and FD go through the tolls for free. Now, I could see why if there is a jumper or a emergency in the middle of the bridge( that goes for trains too, if theres a stabbing or a fire on the train, then it'd be fair), but to go someplace you really don't need to go to, or do, theres a fee, and it should be paid for all who use it, no matter who you are.

Just my opinion.

Edited by x4093k
2231*, EMSer and Tanker 10eng like this

I debated going the "not publicized" route, but I think its worth mentioning since people don't know until they try it. Besides, you can only see the responses if you're a member of the forums. I also don't want someone having a bad experience if they aren't expecting it.

Personally, I've not attempted it for many years but every now and then I see others try it. I no longer try it because I haven't found the risk of confrontation worth it. I've witnessed a full range of conductor's reactions over the years both. By full range I mean anything from a happy "thank you for your service have a nice day!" to getting an angry "just WHO-do-you-think-you-are?!" 5 minute insulting lecture (I was the recipient of said lecture). The best answer to this is "results are entirely random". I should point out the same goes for armed forces members. I've seen a full gambit of results from the very pleasant to not so pleasant. For example I once saw a conductor demand a ticket to Kisco from a soldier who clearly just stepped off a plane on his way back from Iraq.

In summary, tjd1012 had the best answer.

My above answer was not meant to sound crass, simply realistic. I have no issues paying for a ticket, nor feel like I should get a free one.

These aren't secrets. The MTA allows FDNY and NYPD to ride in uniform for free throughout the 5 boroughs. After the Colin Ferguson shooting on the LIRR it became policy to allow cops to ride free at all times. Since Metro North and LIRR are still semi autonomous I don't know what their rules are, but I doubt they're too different.

New York City Transit, specifically subways will only allow PD ride when on duty. I have seen station agents deny off duty PD entry around the turnstil.

Even though MNR and LIRR are semi "autonomous" there are totally indepentant operations from one another. LIRR employees are not officially allowed to ride on MNR and vice versa.

For an offical statement I recommend calling Metro Norths Customer Service dept and ask the question.

From an unoffical capacity, no one is supposed to ride for free on the trains, but as previously stated, some conductors will let you go. The other side of the coin is some conductors will not as they don't want to risk getting caught by a spotter and getting a little unpaid vacation.

Personally, I don't think anyone should ride for free. Even though my father has been a detective down there for 30 + years, it's not right that they keep raising it for the public, but let them ride for free. I'd say let them on for a reduced price, or make their own card that FDNY or NYPD has to pay for monthly or yearly. Even though its a train, it's still public transportation, and can't find that without a fee, and i think that should go for all.

Speaking of trains, bridges also let PD and FD go through the tolls for free. Now, I could see why if there is a jumper or a emergency in the middle of the bridge( that goes for trains too, if theres a stabbing or a fire on the train, then it'd be fair), but to go someplace you really don't need to go to, or do, theres a fee, and it should be paid for all who use it, no matter who you are.

Just my opinion.

Police agencies are allowed to ride Metro North and Long Island RR for free, with conditions. This was in response to the Colin Ferguson shooting in Long Island. We must have the issued pass, be armed, and carrying shield and ID. If something happens on a train, we are expected to take police action. Same if the conductor asks for assistance, so yes its free, but with a price. Remember there are sections on Metro North and LIRR where a train may not readily stop at a station if something goes down, and MTA police will be a while before the can respond to the incident, or to back up the lone cop on the train. On the Harlem Line there is a MTA Police facility in White Plains, above that, from White Plains to Wassaic, there maybe one patrol car to cover the distance. I have ridden almost every time I worked for the last 5 years. I have had to take action several times, from the loud drunk to the guy that wanted to punch out a conductor for asking for his ticket.. We may only take a seat if there are unoccupied seats, otherwise we must stand.

Firefighters (FDNY) with turnout gear may ride NYC subways without charge, as they are assumed to be moving between firehouses while on duty. I know at one point the NYC PBA pushed for free tolls, but that was denied by the state. At work our RMP's have Easy-Pass, which the city gets charged for every time we use it. Prior to Easy Pass, we had to stop at the toll, and have the RMP number recorded, and the command assigned for billing purposes.

firedude likes this

Police agencies are allowed to ride Metro North and Long Island RR for free, with conditions.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

FYI even though there is an MTA PD office in White Plains Train Station, they do not get stationed there. For the six or so months I worked in that station you'd see them come in and out they are not stationed there. The only regularly staffed MTA police station along the Harlem Line is in Mount Vernon , directly across the street from the Mount Vernon West train station.

At one time I was doing some work at Pleasantville station and required police assistance, they responded from Croton. Once you get up towards Brewster, they'll come from Beacon.

Would it be feasible for MTA PD to staff each train with one officer. If something goes down there would be a least one officer on scene with backup responding. Does budget prevent this or are there other reasons. Curious to hear what you have to say.....

irish751 likes this

Would it be feasible for MTA PD to staff each train with one officer. If something goes down there would be a least one officer on scene with backup responding. Does budget prevent this or are there other reasons. Curious to hear what you have to say.....

No, they would have to hire a lot of officers to do this. Also there is no real need for this even though in the last year there has been an increase in grand larcenies. Usually the last train of the night on the weekends that has the rowdy patrons has a two police officers. Occasionally you will see a State Troopers on the trains during periods of high alert such anniversaries of terror incidents, holidays, or from possible threats. The NYPD used to ride to Mt Vernon, and Yonkers, (and Amtrak to Newark) but that was eliminated by budget cuts about 3 years ago.

Why would someone who lists themselves as a photo enthusiast even come with the statement that says PD FD or EMS should not ride for free. Ask your dad what he thinks. Since you possess zero tools to help in a situation perhaps you should learn some first then see what you have when the stuff really starts to roll down hill, actually you should hope you have one of us on YOUR train to bail you out.

PEMO3, FFLieu, sr71 and 8 others like this

Why would someone who lists themselves as a photo enthusiast even come with the statement that says PD FD or EMS should not ride for free. Ask your dad what he thinks. Since you possess zero tools to help in a situation perhaps you should learn some first then see what you have when the stuff really starts to roll down hill, actually you should hope you have one of us on YOUR train to bail you out.

I am not into a arguement. I have asked my father many times in the past, and he doesn't agree, like I said twice, if its an emergency ( and some posts i agree with) then its fine, maybe if theres a regular patrol MTA cop that is based off of a train ( sometimes) then ofcourse they wont pay, i am saying like a cop walking up and "flipping the badge" and getting on the train. I am not saying they shouldn't not have to pay under some circumstances. Like I just said, if its just to get on because your going to dinner or someplace else, then thats when you should have to pay, not if someone is beating the sh*t out of you and a cop is stopping to pay a fee before he goes, that'd be horrible. That is not what I am trying to say.

Your point is good, I think I may have worded mine a little unclear.

Edited by x4093k

When you possess the knowledge to help a situation either through intervention or providing HELPFUL information to responding parties your position as a passenger changes to responder, and for that your fare has already been paid for through hundreds of hours of training and experience. In many cases the hours of experience is in the ten's of thousands. If you look at the ridership on the train, I can guarantee you that when it hits the fan you will see about 99.9% of the riders heading in the right direction, you need those of us who would be heading in the opposite direction there, especially if it is you that needs it.

Edited by everybodygoes
newsbuff, sr71, joeyvega40 and 6 others like this

Any one have an estimate on how many MTA PD Officers there are?

I researched it on google and found an answer of approx 730. I am not sure if its legit or not.

I researched it on google and found an answer of approx 730. I am not sure if its legit or not.

646 sworn-in officers and 70 civilians

When you possess the knowledge to help a situation either through intervention or providing HELPFUL information to responding parties your position as a passenger changes to responder, and for that your fare has already been paid for through hundreds of hours of training and experience. In many cases the hours of experience is in the ten's of thousands. If you look at the ridership on the train, I can guarantee you that when it hits the fan you will see about 99.9% of the riders heading in the right direction, you need those of us who would be heading in the opposite direction there, especially if it is you that needs it.

Salty Dog,

So FD, PD and EMS should get free airline tickets, cruise tickets along with free tickets to Disney because they have BLS skills or are willing to confront antagonists?? Are the engineers who designed the trains given free rides? Are Doctors, nurses, lawyers invited to ride free because they possess the knowledge to help a situation? If the Emergency Service employees are heading to or going home from duty I might buy it but other than that, pay the $12 like everyone else and shut up.

x4093k likes this

Just my opinion.

The uniform requirement in NYC was under the assumption that cops and firefighters generally only wear their uniforms on duty. Exceptions are infrequent enough as to be insignificant. As grumpy pointed out while they are technically riding for free they are expected to act in the event of an emergency. While these are rare, they are frequent enough that the vast majority of employed cops, firefighters, and ems happily pair their way so as to remain anonymous.

The LIRR shooting was a really big deal. This was not some random spraying of bullets into a crowded train. He walked through the train calmly shooting each passenger as they sat or hid in their seat. He was armed with more than 100 rounds of ammunition and was not stopped until 3 citizens jumped him while he attempted to load his third clip. The public was understandably upset and politicians wanted to get more cops riding the trains. There were proposals put forward to make any cop legally allowed to ride mass transit for free. What is the value of a human life? Not the emotional value, but real world civil court value of a life. One cop on that train and how many lives are saved? I don't agree with randomly handing out free rides to anyone. However if an officer wants to carry and be willing to act, welcome aboard. Its a much cheaper alternative to hiring a cop to ride the train.

How is a discount any different than a free pass? What's a fair break, 10%, 20%, or 99%?

How many joy rides do you think cruisers, fire trucks or ambulances take across the bridges and tunnels? Generally speaking we are making these crossings because we have to. We do not charge the MTA or TBTA for services rendered on their property so why would they charge us for using their crossings? At the start of the budget crunch there was an attempt by the TBTA to start billing emergency vehicles until this very point was made to them. The FD would happily develop a rate structure for responses on their property. Its bad enough that not having an EZPass or using a cash only lane causes actual delays in response while they attempt to record your vehicle number, license plate, and driver ID. Everything has a cost, just because you're not seeing it at the toll booth or turnstile doesn't mean it is not being recouped in another way.

Salty Dog,

So FD, PD and EMS should get free airline tickets, cruise tickets along with free tickets to Disney because they have BLS skills or are willing to confront antagonists?? Are the engineers who designed the trains given free rides? Are Doctors, nurses, lawyers invited to ride free because they possess the knowledge to help a situation? If the Emergency Service employees are heading to or going home from duty I might buy it but other than that, pay the $12 like everyone else and shut up.

No, but they do frequently receive discounts to all those places and more. How often are doctors, nurses, or lawyers experienced in handling whatever situation they may encounter outside the warm confines of their office? The fact of the matter is emergency service workers are experienced in handling not just the situation but the crowds and uncontrolled environment they find themselves in. Businesses give us discounts for both the goodwill it generates and to attract people that can and will help in an emergency.

The engineer was paid to design the train. Until an engineer voluntarily walks into the MTA's Brooklyn headquarters and hands over a useful design or schematic without outside compensation that's not a valid point. The MTA expects members riding for free to step up and help in an emergency.

For all the calls I handle in public places in Manhattan it is incredibly rare for a bystander not connected to emergency services to stop and help. Nurses are the only exception to this. Everyone else, whether they're suits or laborers all have a volunteer gig or previous career in emergency services.

As a frequent visitor to NYC, I'm glad if a Firefighter, FDNY/EMS, EMTs/Medics or a Police Officer rides ANY trains for FREE. In fact, I'd be in favor of doctors and nurses riding for Free too. It would save gas and as long as their part of the deal is to help out in an emergency, "be my guest". Active Military too.

BUT, make sure they must wear a photo ID showing that they DO ride for FREE, And they are there ready to protect the people should the need arise.

I honestly don't even understand why we are discussing this topic. I didn't join the fire service to get a "free ride" anywhere and I sure as hell hope that others don't either. But we all know that somewhere down the line someone will be nice enough to not take no thanks as an answer, when that happens x129K said it best.

And best not publicized.

firedude, SageVigiles, x129K and 1 other like this

I remember it very well. The dumb a** actually defended himself....thought he was Perry Mason

His cross examination read like a dummies book. Q: "Did you see who shot you?" A: "Yes. You."

But getting back to the issue at hand. I will gladly pay the $266 per month to go from Zone 5 to GCT in order for me to subsidize the few instances when there is an MOS on the train.

PD or FD riding the trains are two separate things. IF PD is riding undercover, off-duty and the train peoples say they ride for free, that's that.

FD; how many guys have gone on a Metro ride through the years in their Class A's going to a funeral? IF the ticket-taker decides to respect the uniform, that's it. It's not YOU that is getting a professional courtesy, it's the respect for the uniform. Do not expect that courtesy to be extended to you on St. Patrick's Day or any other day in your civies.

ny10570, ptwatson and Bnechis like this

Salty Dog,

How you could even group a lawyer or doctor in with someone who is educated in true 'street' knowledge is beyond me. My father recently was in a hospital after a lengthy surgery, guess who picked up on his irregular breathing and adverse reaction to a blood transfusion, NOT the RN or Dr assigned to his care, I did.

Honestly you sound like someone who is jealous that those of us that do this for a living get certain perks for giving up a lot for our chosen profession. Your irrational train of thought (haha) is a perfect example of the current political climate towards our pensions that we not only deserve, but pay for!

FD/PD/EMS Ride NYC transit for free while on duty and in uniform. PD is officially extended this courtesy while riding Metro-North under the guise that they'll provide assistance in the event of an emergency. That's it, end of discussion. Any other talk of professional courtesy is not for a public forum, it doesn't read well to the uninformed general public. I for one always carry a ticket with me on Metro-North.

210, FFD941, SageVigiles and 3 others like this

New York City Transit, specifically subways will only allow PD ride when on duty. I have seen station agents deny off duty PD entry around the turnstil.

I do not know of the policy regarding FD so I will not comment on that part.

As far as PD goes, the NYC Transit has always allowed on or off-duty NYPD PO's to ride the trains and buses in the confines of NYC free of charge. This has been their policy probably since the trains were steam powered. If you saw a off- duty Police Officer being denied entry, it was not because he wanted to ride for free, it must have been another reason. If a station agent denied a PO entry on to the system, on duty or off, he had better have a good reason, it would lead to a big p*ssing match between the unions and the PD and MTA bosses. (NYC trains and buses are operated by the MTA, which operates the LIRR and Metro North)

Before Colin Ferguson, the LIRR and Metro North RR had no policy for off-duty PO's, it was handled by the individual conductor.

Since Ferguson the MTA came up with a new policy. for Metro north and LIRR, local police agencies can apply for passes for their members. These are specific to each line, meaning the Metro North pass cannot be used on the LIRR and vice versa. These passes have the individual officers name and dept. and are not transferrable. The policy specifically states for on and off duty use.

The MTA NYC trains and buses have a slightly different policy. All members of the NYPD are issued Metro Cards which allow unlimited access to any NYC train or bus in the city. The policy specifically states for on and off duty use. There is no longer a need to show a shield or ID at the booth or to the driver, just swipe it and go, like any other anonymous rider.

Edited by 10512