Anesti

Yonkers Major Water Main Break 8-27 Discussion

62 posts in this topic

Engine 319 is in service so is Battalion 3. I heard a few outside units going in. And something about OEM/Eoc.

Large water main break. 40 % of the City has no water including St. Joe's Hospital. Parts of the Saw Mill closed also according to Yonkers OEM

firedude likes this

Large water main break. 40 % of the City has no water including St. Joe's Hospital. Parts of the Saw Mill closed also according to Yonkers OEM

Thanx. They were talking about it on the radio.

I talked to my sister @ St Josephs Hosp. they now have no water and were forced to shut down the A/C and forget about toilets...

a contractor severed a water line.

The southbound Saw Mill River Parkway and westbound Cross County Parkway have been shut down this afternoon due to a water main break in the vicinity of McLean Avenue
Mayor Mike Spano estimated that as many as 50,000 people are experiencing very low pressure or a complete loss of water

Lohud.com

http://www.lohud.com...&nclick_check=1

Edited by JetPhoto

Anyone remember when YFD bought that giant water tanker? Where are all the people who said that was a waste of money??? Suddenly it doesn't look so silly, now does it?

Edited by SageVigiles
Ladder44, x129K, wraftery and 1 other like this

I'd bet that the YFD Water Tender Unit is ACTIVE and "On Duty" somewhere in near St. Joseph's Hospital

Anyone remember when YFD bought that giant water tanker? Where are all the people who said that was a waste of money???

SageVigiles likes this

I'd bet that the YFD Water Tender Unit is ACTIVE and "On Duty" somewhere in near St. Joseph's Hospital

Exactly as it should be. To paraphrase an old saying, a few thousand gallons of preparedness is worth more than a few million gallons of cure.

Edited by SageVigiles

Anyone remember when YFD bought that giant water tanker? Where are all the people who said that was a waste of money???

Bring in the CT tanker strike teams B)

According to Lohud, the FD tender is at the hospital already.

If this doesn't get resolved shortly Westchester may need a strike team or two. If they move many more tankers into Yonkers, the rest of the County will need back-fill coverage as well.

Interesting development for sure. I wonder how the mayor feels about his plans to close companies now.

SageVigiles and peterose313 like this

Just out of curiousity, what kind of staffing does Yonkers OEM have? Are they a separate agency or do they fall under the PD and/or FD?

Saw mill parkway s/b suffered severe damage to road surface from the water main break. Going to be a commuting nightmare until they fix it.

I guess Paid depts tankers arent good enough to help, according to the last line of the article...

This situation is not a case of Career vs. Volunteer but rather than dealing with a State of Emergency in the City of Yonkers (As a point of note, most rural villages and towns in Westchester County have TANKERS as part of their front line fleet, and most of these "Hamets" are Volunteer manned fire departments

I guess Paid depts tankers arent good enough to help, according to the last line of the article...

Yonkers FD, during their evening radio test, reminded all companies to review drafting and relay pumping procedures tonight.

firedude and peterose313 like this

I totally agree, it is about the situation, not paid vs unpaid. Bottom line is they need tankers. So why rule out the paid/combo depts? If you need water on wheels, take it from anywhere you can get it. Thats all I meant by the statement.

JetPhoto likes this

YFD's 5000 gallon Water Tender is "active" and ready to roll from 460 Nepperhan in case of a fire. There are at least 6 other 2000+ gallon tankers from Con-Edison and other private sources in the city, one of which is at St. Josephs. Our boat is manned and ready to pump from the river (2000 gallons a minute). Metro North has moved a 10,000 gallon rail car into the city. YFD has also put additional LDH rigs in service, a couple of extra trucks, and multiple support staff units.

JM15 likes this

I totally agree, it is about the situation, not paid vs unpaid. Bottom line is they need tankers. So why rule out the paid/combo depts? If you need water on wheels, take it from anywhere you can get it. Thats all I meant by the statement.

No career departments within a reasonable distance have tankers. No departments were ruled out. The departments are selected so they don't "strip down" the non-hydranted areas of Westchester. Often, the decision is left up to 60 Control, and all YFD asks for is the number of tankers they wanted.

Guy, thanks for the info! What is the expected duration of this?

Just out of curiousity, what kind of staffing does Yonkers OEM have? Are they a separate agency or do they fall under the PD and/or FD?

Yonkers OEM is seperate and operates under the Mayors Office.

Anybody else besides Banksville and Millwood?

This is just an idea i thought of but what do you all think of YFD getting in touch with the group running the ex FDNY fireboat John J. Harvey to pump from the river.....did a great job on 9/11 coming out of retirement that day. Might we worth the phone call?

Bring in the CT tanker strike teams B)

Funny you should say that.... I received an Inquiry call here in danbury tonight from the Yonkers FD asking if we had portable tanks available to send there should they need them..

Bernie Meehan

Asst Fire Chief

Danbury CT

CHIEFPHIL and SageVigiles like this

Yonkers OEM is seperate and operates under the Mayors Office.

Actually the OEM operates under the police department under the field services bureau

Bnechis likes this

38ff not sure where you are from, but there isn't a paid/combo tanker within 30 miles of Yonkers.

YFD did what they needed which was request assets through 60 control and that's it. Based on current calls 60 control dispatched the appropriate rigs

(*)

BFD1054 likes this

Can you provide a link to the article you reference or quote the line in question?

I can only imagine the flurry of blame being pointed on how come critical valves necessary to isolate the break won't operate.

Let's see... could it be that routine valve maintenance took the brunt of budget hits over the years?

SageVigiles likes this

Is Banksville and Millwood still in the city or were they just covering till yfd got there tanker situated?

Edited by NOZ45ZLE

Yonkers FD's Water Tender ready to roll during the water emergency 8-27-12. Yonkers FD was very well prepared to tackle this major water supply issue which affects the part of the city with an extremly high fire load and very dense population.

post-11-0-13403100-1346113963.jpg

BFD1054, redtruck75, FF398 and 6 others like this