SOUSGT

New Rochelle considers fire department consolidation study

49 posts in this topic

According to The Journal News:

The City Council will consider Tuesday paying for a study into whether the city would benefit from combining its Fire Department with one from a neighboring community. The do not identify which one. Nor are any details provided.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20120709/NEWS02/307090020/New-Rochelle-considers-fire-department-consolidation-study?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

efdcapt115 likes this

Hmm......It's gotta be a dept that touches borders with NR obviously. And they are?

Mt. Vernon

Eastchester

Scarsdale

Pelham

Larchmont

Mamaroneck?

and Da Bronx

(who'd I miss or mistake?)

My what a riddle this one is.

PCFD ENG58 and BFD1054 like this

According to my sources it is Pelham & PM

How could a fully career city dept. possibly combine with a combo career/volunteer dept?

Alwaysinheat likes this

well think its a good idea

How could a fully career city dept. possibly combine with a combo career/volunteer dept?

I guess that is probably part of what will be reviewed. When North Hudson Rergiona Fire & Rexcue was created in NJ, they absorbed at least on FD w/vollies (Town of Guttenburg, I think?). I would look to see how they handled the process.

48 likes this

Capt,

Do PM and Pelham have considerable volunteer ranks?

If thats true,how would New Rochelle benifit from combining with a severely understaffed dept. We already respond to the Pelhams on ever fire they have so it seems to me the only dept that would benifit would be Pelham.

x129K likes this

Capt,

I think both are combination with low numbers of volunteers.

Capt,

Not sure Bro. However, the volunteer ranks of many southern Westchester departments have been dwindling/suffering and in some cases, extinct for decades. I think a major part of the reason for that has been the demographic change in southern Westchester, as more and more of the white collar professional class from NYC emigrated out into south West. due to it's extremely convenient commuting location via Metro North into GCT. This drove housing prices skyward and forced most of the demographic (working class/blue collar) who possibly would have volunteered to move further outward, away from south West.

Southern Westchester's loss of those particular people became a gain for FDs further north in the county.

Long complicated answer to a simple question. Maybe I should have stopped at "Not sure Bro." lol

BFD1054, TCD0415 and yfd910 like this

<p>

<br />

If thats true,how would New Rochelle benifit from combining with a severely understaffed dept. We already respond to  the Pelhams on ever fire they have so it seems to me the only dept that would benifit would be Pelham.<br />

<br />You have to look at where this is coming from for the answer. It appears that the group that is pushing for the study involves taxes. They probably believe that they can reduce the tax burden to the New Rochelle taxpayer by a consolidation. I guess we will have to wait to see how the report says they can accomplish this and if it is worth it to the City residents.

<br />

</p>

Maybe the same disasterous way their trying to do it in Stamford. For the sake of NR and whoever, I sure as hell hope not!!

Yes, they did, 3 years ago, and afterward, many of the politicians (who could have ACTUALLY taken the study and DONE SOMETHING about it) stood around patting each other on the back, congratulating themselves about such a fine study they had commissioned.

sfrd18, BFD1054, jruff04 and 2 others like this

Maybe the same disasterous way their trying to do it in Stamford. For the sake of NR and whoever, I sure as hell hope not!!

For the sake of this Board and 256,000 posts or however many I sure hope not too!

SageVigiles, x129K, 210 and 5 others like this

Hmm......It's gotta be a dept that touches borders with NR obviously. And they are? Mt. Vernon, Eastchester, Scarsdale, Pelham, Larchmont, Mamaroneck?, and Da Bronx (who'd I miss or mistake?) My what a riddle this one is.

You left out Pelham Manor. We do border the Town of Mamaroneck and while not bordering we wre within about 30 feet from Larchmont at one point.

My vote is we consolidate with FDNY, (We take over of them.) :)

If that does not work, lets jump in with Stamford.

In NYS Law Cities are prohibitted from "combining" with villages or Fire Districts (towns). Cities can be contracted to provide protection to those communities.

ISO says they have more career responders (3) on average than volunteers (2). And few if any are interior.

Didn't they already do this?

http://www.pace.edu/...hester-fire-chi

Yes, and it cost the city $0 for that study.

BFD1054, Sailr322, firedude and 2 others like this

Yes, they did, 3 years ago, and afterward, many of the politicians (who could have ACTUALLY taken the study and DONE SOMETHING about it) stood around patting each other on the back, congratulating themselves about such a fine study they had commissioned.

It was not commissioned by "politicians" it was commissioned by the career fire chiefs association.

efdcapt115 and sfrd18 like this

So bnechis, instead of sitting around here assuming who new Rochelle is looking at, what is really going on. Is there a town or village looking to be contracted by nrfd or is this just taxpayers complaining and trying to get taxes lowered

In NYS Law Cities are prohibitted from "combining" with villages or Fire Districts (towns). Cities can be contracted to provide protection to those communities.

Oh the conspiracy theorists are gonna have a field day with this one.

Bnechis, sfrd18, x129K and 2 others like this

So bnechis, instead of sitting around here assuming who new Rochelle is looking at, what is really going on. Is there a town or village looking to be contracted by nrfd or is this just taxpayers complaining and trying to get taxes lowered

Your guess is as good as mine. We found out about it this morning on LoHud like everyone else.

sfrd18, firedude, BFD1054 and 1 other like this

Your guess is as good as mine. We found out about it this morning on LoHud like everyone else.

Classic city government.
BFD1054 likes this

Hmm......It's gotta be a dept that touches borders with NR obviously. And they are?

Mt. Vernon

Eastchester

Scarsdale

Pelham

Larchmont

Mamaroneck?

and Da Bronx

Town of Mamaroneck

Like anything else, it could be done well where it benefits all involved. However it's being looked at by politicians, so I doubt it will benefit anyone but their own interests.

Mt. Vernon

Eastchester

Scarsdale

Pelham

Larchmont

Mamaroneck?

and Da Bronx

Long ride for the 7th division from webster ave to New roc :)

sfrd18 and efdcapt115 like this

If thats true,how would New Rochelle benifit from combining with a severely understaffed dept. We already respond to the Pelhams on ever fire they have so it seems to me the only dept that would benifit would be Pelham.

You are right. The only ones to benefit are the Pelhams. As a resident of Eng 3's first due area near the Town of Mamaroneck border, every time Eng 23 would go to Pelham my next due engine is either 25 or 21. Both are 8-10 minutes away depending on traffic/weather conditions. If the people want to save on taxes go after the Board of Education, not the fire service.

If the people want to save on taxes go after the Board of Education, not the fire service.

But think of the children.............

bigrig77 likes this

But think of the children.............

Ok Barry then go after the county sewer tax !!! We don't need no stinking flush toilets !!!!!! Out house were good enough for my great grandparents.

efdcapt115 likes this

You are right. The only ones to benefit are the Pelhams. As a resident of Eng 3's first due area near the Town of Mamaroneck border, every time Eng 23 would go to Pelham my next due engine is either 25 or 21. Both are 8-10 minutes away depending on traffic/weather conditions. If the people want to save on taxes go after the Board of Education, not the fire service.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't Eng 22 and l2 respond to nrfd mutual aid calls.

If I'm not mistaken doesn't Eng 22 and l2 respond to nrfd mutual aid calls.

They are the primary mutual aid companies. However the on duty D.C. can change the assignment at the time of the request. If there is an agreement with an adjoining fire district, the nearest company to the incident would be on the alarm assignment.

If the people want to save on taxes go after the Board of Education, not the fire service.

As the husband of a teacher, if people truly want to save on taxes, then go after neither the Board of Education nor the fire or police service: go after politicians.

JAD622, FD828, tglass59 and 2 others like this